The Hermès game : should I keep fighting ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asperge

Jun 28, 2020
Hi,

I hope you are all well ! I'm currently questioning my Hermès game methodology (because I’m starting to loose hope) and would be happy to read about your opinion or your own experience :smile:
(to the mods : if I’m out of the rules, do not hesitate to delete my post).

I fell in love with Hermès a while ago and bought four B35s in the preloved market during the 2010s. However, I have started to play the « Hermès game » in 2020 only (so I'm pretty new here!) mostly because I’m dreaming of a Kelly 28 in Gold with GHW. But this game is so hard to maintain :biggrin:. I have built relationship with three SAs, one in my hometown store in France and two in London, UK (I do live in London). They know about my wish. In maybe five months, I have bought two bags (Picotin 26 and Evelyne 29), sandals, scarves and tons of twillies. I also use to visit the website like 10 times a day to check if there’s something new (I have missed a cute Mini Lindy in Rouge de Coeur and GHW btw…). To conclude, I’m 100% focused on Hermès now and have even sold most of my other luxury brand pieces for financing this.

Unfortunately, for now, I haven’t been offered anything and one of my SAs told me it's gonna be very a long wait. However, I’ve read here and there (Instagram, Youtube, this forum…) that some newbie customers in Europe seem to get offered quota bag quite « easily » this year (with, for instance, just buying one scarve).

I feel I’m not playing the game the right way…What do you think ? Do you think I’m trying too hard and just need to cross my fingers, rather than buying, buying…?

I would also be happy to read your own (good and bad) experiences about the Hermès Game :smile:.

Many thanks and stay safe.

a Kelly 28 in Gold with GHW
Depending on your leather choice, this should be relatively easy to obtain preloved. If you are open to a heritage leather bag, which you can then Spa ( either with Hermes or other), the prices can vary from very reasonable to a little above list. Years ago, I submitted reseller bags to be spa serviced and never had a problem.
The H game is only enjoyable if you love and adore all things H. I started with resellers, then developed a close relationship with a boutique SA and purchased a boutique birkin. After my SA left for a different career, I went back to the reseller route bc H did not seem as fun without her. I also dislike waiting for bags. (I’ve received trusted referrals to restart a boutique relationship, which I will get around to once I make an appt).

I think, though, most members here would suggest you limit your boutique spending to one location for maximum relationship value.

I do believe there is less “game” now in London compared to other locations around the world as they have recently moved back to the wait list system. I’m sure this system can be rushed along with more spending but in general, I think you just have to wait for the bag to appear. Five months is pretty short to wait for a K28 in a classic neutral color so I think you should try to stay positive, visit the store when something catches your fancy but otherwise buckle in and be patient. Other than going the reseller route, there isn’t much more you could do anyway.

ETA I’d also try to put less stock into what you read on social media. People don’t always show the full story, if you know what I mean...

Last edited:
I agree with the above post ignore the likes of instagram and youtube-these people that do their 'reveals' often do them just to show off and who knows if its even real?
Don't shop Hermes just in order to 'score' (I hate that term!) your covered item, and spread yourself too thinly over lots of stores (or 3 in your case) in order to get the best chance of getting 'THE' bag.
My advice would be to stick to a store that you can visit easily and where you genuinely LIKE your SA and feel a rapport.
My store of choice isn't the one with the biggest inventory but the one where I like the team, I can swing by easily and also where I really really feel the SA has my back even though I'm a tiny spender (a hapi or a scarf or 1 calvi so far this year).
as @880 says your holy grail bag doesn't sound like an especially difficult one to obtain and I'm sure with patience you will get an offer and I've seen a fair few on the pre-loved market in those specs through resale sites recommended on this forum.
If buying Hermes is causing you stress its nor right.
You already have some beautiful bags by the sound of it.
Only buy what you love and wait.
and if you cant bear the wait you state you purchased your original Birkins Pre-loved so I would check daily on the reputable pre-loved sites for your K28
good luck and try not to overthink.
Shopping should be a joy not a fight!

Hi,

I hope you are all well ! I'm currently questioning my Hermès game methodology (because I’m starting to loose hope) and would be happy to read about your opinion or your own experience :smile:
(to the mods : if I’m out of the rules, do not hesitate to delete my post).

I fell in love with Hermès a while ago and bought four B35s in the preloved market during the 2010s. However, I have started to play the « Hermès game » in 2020 only (so I'm pretty new here!) mostly because I’m dreaming of a Kelly 28 in Gold with GHW. But this game is so hard to maintain :biggrin:. I have built relationship with three SAs, one in my hometown store in France and two in London, UK (I do live in London). They know about my wish. In maybe five months, I have bought two bags (Picotin 26 and Evelyne 29), sandals, scarves and tons of twillies. I also use to visit the website like 10 times a day to check if there’s something new (I have missed a cute Mini Lindy in Rouge de Coeur and GHW btw…). To conclude, I’m 100% focused on Hermès now and have even sold most of my other luxury brand pieces for financing this.

Unfortunately, for now, I haven’t been offered anything and one of my SAs told me it's gonna be very a long wait. However, I’ve read here and there (Instagram, Youtube, this forum…) that some newbie customers in Europe seem to get offered quota bag quite « easily » this year (with, for instance, just buying one scarve).

I feel I’m not playing the game the right way…What do you think ? Do you think I’m trying too hard and just need to cross my fingers, rather than buying, buying…?

I would also be happy to read your own (good and bad) experiences about the Hermès Game :smile:.

Many thanks and stay safe.

Here's my two cents.
I have purchased a C18 in London and a K32 in Paris. Both are not my home stores and I have a very strong relationship in my home store, but I have also read about how it seems to be "easier" in Europe so I thought I would try my luck.

In London, I purchased jewellery and RTW (spending circa 3000pounds+) before being offer a C18 in my desired specs.

In Paris, I tried FSH appointment (no desired BK offered during appointment), and tried the other stores. I purchased approx 3000-4000euro worth of items (accessories/shoes/jewellery but not fine jewellery) before being offer a K32. It was not my desired size/specs but luckily a friend really liked the bag so she has it now.

Everyone has a different experience, but the non BKC bags you just bought don't count towards your spend for a B/K. I do feel that they try not to offer you a B/K until you have purchased other bag(s) first. Sandals, scarves and twillies do count for something but I have found that in general, I have had greatest success when I purchase from their fine jewellery category. Next, would be their RTW category.
Often I do find that after I make that one special jewellery purchase, my desired bag appears. This could be because it has propelled me to the front of the line for those specs.

I should also note that I think you should consider choosing 1 SA in London. I am fairly sure that the London stores can see your purchase history in all of London, not just their store. I have changed SA a few times in my home store before I found the right one that I "clicked" with. It's worthwhile building your profile in the 1 store because when you spread your purchases out over 3 stores, it really is not substantial.

A K28 in gold GHW is stunning and versatile, but I think gold is a highly desired neutral so that could be why it might take some time unless you are willing to enter into the jewellery/RTW category. Newbies who get offered are probably more open to anything, and you seem to have your mind made up about exactly what you want. Sometimes I have waited 1 year plus for my exact specs, other times only 3 months.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I personally think that you should enjoy this journey, rather than stressing out about it and making it a challenge. Everyone's experience is different, and so many factors need to be taken into consideration when it comes to Hermès, one of them for sure it the right SA you click with, if there's chemistry, there will be bags... buy what you like, enjoy the things you like and sooner or later your Kelly will arrive.

At least your SA was truthful and said it would be a long time. It’s better than being strung along making purchases in the hopes of scoring your dream bag. I wanted a very coveted bag and was strung along for 18 months (including a major milestone birthday.) No bag. Then COVID hit.
i’ve accepted that I won’t get the bag. It’s OK. I have many others.

My advice to you is to play nice with the SA that you have the most rapport. Buy what you like and want. But keep an eye on the vintage resale market. Older bags are more finely made than newer ones.

Good luck on your hunt!

At least your SA was truthful and said it would be a long time. It’s better than being strung along making purchases in the hopes of scoring your dream bag. I wanted a very coveted bag and was strung along for 18 months (including a major milestone birthday.) No bag. Then COVID hit.
i’ve accepted that I won’t get the bag. It’s OK. I have many others.

My advice to you is to play nice with the SA that you have the most rapport. Buy what you like and want. But keep an eye on the vintage resale market. Older bags are more finely made than newer ones.

Good luck on your hunt!

May I ask what bag you were hoping for?

Totally agree re playing nice and building rapport. If you have previously bought off vintage market, it is totally possible to do it again.

• Love
Reactions: keodi and RT1
I do believe there is less “game” now in London compared to other locations around the world as they have recently moved back to the wait list system. I’m sure this system can be rushed along with more spending but in general, I think you just have to wait for the bag to appear. Five months is pretty short to wait for a K28 in a classic neutral color so I think you should try to stay positive, visit the store when something catches your fancy but otherwise buckle in and be patient. Other than going the reseller route, there isn’t much more you could do anyway.

ETA I’d also try to put less stock into what you read on social media. People don’t always show the full story, if you know what I mean...
What does this mean? Saw it on a few other threads but London was always on the waitlist system wasn’t it? As in SAs take your wish and then prioritise giving it to people based on a combination of your wait time, spend history and strength of relationship?

fwiw I found it very difficult to get A bag this year in London.

What does this mean? Saw it on a few other threads but London was always on the waitlist system wasn’t it? As in SAs take your wish and then prioritise giving it to people based on a combination of your wait time, spend history and strength of relationship?

fwiw I found it very difficult to get A bag this year in London.
Supposedly London is back to a “we just go down the list” for offers system where you put your name down and when a bag comes in the next person in line for those exact spec gets it, regardless of spending. I’m guessing that is not actually how it works for longer established customers, but that’s the story they are telling these days and some members have given their experiences on it in the London thread. (What you described is the “wish list” system which is how it is most other places. A pure “waitlist” system is supposed to be straight down the list, no other factors considered.)

Supposedly London is back to a “we just go down the list” for offers system where you put your name down and when a bag comes in the next person in line for those exact spec gets it, regardless of spending. I’m guessing that is not actually how it works for longer established customers, but that’s the story they are telling these days and some members have given their experiences on it in the London thread. (What you described is the “wish list” system which is how it is most other places. A pure “waitlist” system is supposed to be straight down the list, no other factors considered.)
:annoyed: Well that would be annoying to say the least

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and Culoucou
Status
Not open for further replies.