The Fragility Of GM Shawls

Sarastro, bagpunk - Thank you! I'm very glad to have gotten that reassurance. There was a threat of rain last night, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't compromising anything.

Thanks again.

I am now worried. I just got my first Shawl ever and love it. I havent taken it out the box as yet because I keep coming back to these posts and thinking maybe I should just return it and get something I wont be afraid to wear....:sad:

Please take it out of the box and use it! These things are meant to be used and enjoyed, not reverently looked at in the closet. :smile:

I recieved a GM Marwari in Blue Petrol for Christmas. (My HG!) And I have used it non stop since. I keep it rolled up and inside an H cotton sac inside my Birkin. Right beside my water bottle and my baby's bottle.

Have not noticed any snags or pulls yet. And even if I do, I'll just shrug it off and continue using it. Life is too short to be so worried about material things. :smile:

i have both vintage/older and newer GM cashmere shawls. the older ones felt more "stiff" and "flat" almost as if they have a little starch in them, and newer ones are more "fluffy". i remember inspecting their tags to see if the composition of cashmere to silk were different for the older ones, but it didn't look so. i was a little puzzled. i wonder if that difference in feeling when touched has something to do with their varying durability.

since my last post in this thread, i have taken to carrying each of my shawls in a silky dust bag and carry that in my bag. i try not to use a cotton bag for the shawls because the cotton and cashmere fibers seem to rub against each other and can make the cashmere fluffier faster in some instances. my shawls seemed to come out OK during my dump and go period, but i thought better not risk it :smile:

Last edited:
So glad to find this thread...got my first snag in my tohu bohu last night..from a snag on my nail ( got a mani yesterday )...I was so so sad. I have worn a shawl almost everyday this winter so I gues one snag isn't to bad?

^ Etro shawls are beautiful too, amazing colours / patterns. I bought 2 recently (mainly to give a break to the Hs - I need a big woollie day in & out, cold country). They are 70% wool 30% silk (therefore a bit scratchy, but I like that - very toasty!), 54" square - same size as the H GMs. They come in 70% cashmere as well (herringbone twill), that must be softer than the merino.
You can find them on *bay sometimes at fairly good prices, £100-ish.

i have an Etro pashmina , ive had it years its a kind if dip-dye colur - grey to brick red... you are right, its a lovely alternative to my H GMs when i don't want to stress about wearing sthg if it will get snagged on my coat zip/velcro on my kids buggy etc......

however, i agree as well with whoever posted about the quality of older H GMs - seem way superior, heavier and softer than the newer ones. I have a "Tropiques" (from 1984 i think) which does have a pull but feels so much more substantial than my 2009 (?) Carre en Carres which feels soft but very lightweight and has started bobbling already after a handful of wears.... the Astres et Soleils i got, maybe cos it was pre-owned, had been cleaned and the pile was really flatttened and it felt like wool not cashmere....my older "Reve d'Australie" has had the most wear but stood up the best..... again IMO id buy older ones pre-owned as i personally prefer the feel of older shawls, but thats just me....

rockymax said:
Please take it out of the box and use it! These things are meant to be used and enjoyed, not reverently looked at in the closet. :smile:

I recieved a GM Marwari in Blue Petrol for Christmas. (My HG!) And I have used it non stop since. I keep it rolled up and inside an H cotton sac inside my Birkin. Right beside my water bottle and my baby's bottle.

Have not noticed any snags or pulls yet. And even if I do, I'll just shrug it off and continue using it. Life is too short to be so worried about material things. :smile:

I love this post. Thanks! I have a GM shawl that my husband bought for me almost 18 months ago which I have worn ONCE as I am so scared of pulls and dirt (especially with a 12 month old son). The weather is getting colder in the UK now and I've decided to actually start wearing it from now on rather than pulling it out of the cupboard and admiring it in the box .... and then putting the box back away!

I love this post. Thanks! I have a GM shawl that my husband bought for me almost 18 months ago which I have worn ONCE as I am so scared of pulls and dirt (especially with a 12 month old son). The weather is getting colder in the UK now and I've decided to actually start wearing it from now on rather than pulling it out of the cupboard and admiring it in the box .... and then putting the box back away!

Thanks for bumping this thread- there is a lot of great advice embedded and is especially timely as we head into fall and thoughts turn to cashmere/silk shawls to keep warm.

Do wear your shawl, not only will it bring you joy, but I'm sure it will make your husband happy and proud to see you wearing his special gift! Hermes shawls are works of art that come alive when worn. With a little bit of care, your shawl should last for many years.