The foamier the better?

rin

Sep 26, 2006
Is it true that if you have oily skin, you should use a foamy cleanser as it gets rid of oil and dirt better than say a cream cleanser? I heard that somewhere, just wanted to make sure it's true before I rush off to Sephora. :P

I don't think it makes a difference, but my mind plays tricks on me. I don't like cream cleansers because I feel like if it doesn't foam, it's not cleaning anything. Just my crazy head I suppose, but I still get foaming ones hehe.

Generally, the harsher ingrdients foam up better (foam, gel, mousse cleansers), which is why foamier cleansers are usually meant for oily skin and can cause dryness.

The other reason for them being meant for oily skin is that the require water to foam up and wash off, and water drys out the skin. That's also why it's better to use a cream, cleanser if you have dry skin- they are more moisturising and some don't require water to be removed.

Actually, I think the foaming part is from the ingredient sodium laurel sulfate or and other kind of sulfate. Apparently, it makes your skin dry and you should avoid it. You can find it in shampoos and toothpaste. I haven't used any sls on my face, only on my hair and body.