The. Flea. Market.

Stacee

Dec 17, 2009
I went to the flea market yesterday with my DBF, we're looking for a brass sun mirror for our living room. I was told that there was A stand for fakes, however - I was absolutely astonished by the amount of counterfeit goods found in nearly EVERY stall. The amount was appalling - I watched with a queasy stomach as one girl shuffled on a pair of coarse Foach ballet flats, squeezed DBF's hand when a girl pointed to a cheaply-made Chanel, and was surprised at the degree of detail when stomaching another stall - the material was cheap, but the print and cut were spot-on. I didn't inspect it further, but I haven't ever seen a decent replica. Scary.

I don't understand the mentality of these people.... do they honestly think that they look classy in a ratty, frayed synthetic Chanel? Or do they believe that they'll wow a crowd with paper-thin Flouis Vuitton plastic? And fake shoes? That idea alone confuses me.

And what gets to me, with the exception of perhaps two stalls, there were NO regular purses for sale. But still, I wonder, why do people think it's okay? Why do they buy something that spews a name-brand across it knowing that it's not actually the real deal? Forgive this rant - but honestly, the experience was sickening - I was nervous, carrying my Brooke, that people would think mine was fake. But I almost hoped a girl would ask, "In which stall did you get that?" Because it would have been so much fun to answer.

Here's my issue with fakes: If someone truly just stumbles across a bag at a stand or a kiosk and thinks it's cute (with pretty much no knowledge or concern for the brand, they just like the look) it doesn't really bother me.

HOWEVER, the ones who think they are fooling people with fakes? Who think they are somehow "cheating the system" by getting something that looks ~just like the real thing!~ for a fraction of the price? Eh.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what people carry/wear, but it does make you wonder. I don't buy/own Coach to rub it in people's faces or have someone think that i'm something special for carrying it (although that's pretty much a moot point since I own almost all leather and people don't really notice it anyway). The whole idea behind the fake industry is to make people think you are something you're not.

I hope I make sense! No coffee yet this morning :girlwhack:

I went to a flea market yesterday too...and I get what you're saying on SO many levels. Stands and stands of fakes. It's unreal, to be perfectly honest. The ones I saw weren't even good, they were just ugly, tacky and poorly made.

My husband and I had a good laugh when we saw a sign that said "everything $10!!!"...I was like 'imagine the collection I'd have if those were my flavor'.

The thing is, I am a picker. It's my other hobby. I buy older pieces that were once used for practical things and I turn them into furniture or art...so I go a lot of flea markets...the one I went to yesterday was new to me--which was rare--but it was the only one that weekend since we're just breaking into nicer weather. I'll NEVER go back. Not only were there a bagillion fakes...but there were also clearly items for sale that were stolen....like tools, electronics...and I won't let my good fortune be another persons bad luck.

It's pitiful.

^^So true.

I think of this on a larger scale. Like, yesterday for instance, I had to pay to get into the market...and I'm sure the vendors pay for both rental. The company who owns the building benefits off the sale of the those fake bags because the transactions are taking place under their roof. Same thing with the mall.

The thing that bothers me most about fakes is that they're probably produced in places where there's no regulation whatsoever on who is making them (children? illegal workers? terrorism sponsors?), what those people are making (slave labor), or what materials are being used (PVC from China and the lead debacle).

As for the people who wear the bags, I agree with Alatrop- if they buy the bags thinking "oh, that's a cute purse" I really don't care. I don't admire the bags, but it's done in ignorance. But if it's someone who thinks he/she is getting away with cheating the system.... it's kind of sad and kind of annoying. They're not fooling anyone... except those who know nothing about the brands in the first place. Those who buy the genuine articles know what to look for, and can spot a fake about a mile away... and are not impressed, kwim?

Funny thing is... its illegal and no one does anything about it.

If it's "designer inspired" it's not illegal. If it's changed 15% it's not illegal (think about it, that could be as simple as removing the D ring on some, slightly different font in Coach, slightly different wording on creed and voila, the same bag).

If it is a direct mirror copy, everything the same, it's illegal.

If they are advertised as inspired that is fine. If they are using logos, material, names of the original etc That is illegal.

The bags I see at the FM openly have them labeled as Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Chanel, LV, Jimmy Choo etc. - that's illegal

If they are advertised as inspired that is fine. If they are using logos, material, names of the original etc That is illegal.

The bags I see at the FM openly have them labeled as Coach, Dooney and Bourke, Chanel, LV, Jimmy Choo etc. - that's illegal

Unfortunately "designer inspired" can use the logos as well. A friend of mine was involved in a suit like this (she's a legal assistant) and believe it or not, as long as they are not saying "authentic" it's legal.

I was talking to a co-worker about a Coach bag I wanted to get. She told me I needed to go to Harwin(place in Houston that sells fakes) I told her I don't buy fakes. I see Coach bags EVERYWHERE here. Living near a big City there are alot of places to buy Coach, FP store, Dillard's, Macy's, several outlet malls, & even the fakes. My sister lives in Tulsa & she doesn't have many places she can buy Coach, so it's not that common to see women carry Coach.