The EUROVISION SONG CONTEST THREAD !!!!!!

I watch it only for Terry Wogan's jokes .........

EDIT: For non-British, Terry Wogan is a guy who makes jokes at every single song from every single country and has drawn flak from all Europe but I love him!

Agree Bee Bee - our Tel is the only reason I've watched it in the past :roflmfao: .

Haven't watched it in a few years though - too many contestants, too many countries (some not even in Europe and some I've barely heard of ??) and everyone voting for their neighbours/friends. Total farce !! No surprise that the year Britain and the USA went into Iraq we had "nul points".

No surprise that the year Britain and the USA went into Iraq we had "nul points".

so it couldn't possibly have been because it was the second worst song in history (after last year's uk entry which was just too cringeworthy)? :roflmfao: wasn't it gemini that year? they couldn't even sing in tune, they DESERVED nul points. actually they deserved negative points but unfortunately that isn't possible.

and if you haven't heard of some of the countries well.. umm :confused1: pick up an atlas? google? just because you haven't heard of them it doesn't mean they can't be in europe. not that israel is in europe but i don't think that's one of the countries you've never heard of.

Annanas - i think you kinda missed the point here. I was having a laugh at it - which most Brits do as the whole thing is so trashy now (tho I know other countries do take it seriously - sorry if I offended) - hence my reference to thinking Terry is the best part of it.

I used to be a geography lecturer many eyars ago and have lived and visited loads of countries so no mention please of me looking in an atlas - but I'm not gonna say anything today - I'm a GOOD MOOD. :yahoo:

Long live Tel !!

umm i do know nobody takes it seriously and about all the political voting, but nobody in their right mind could think that the uk deserved a single point that year :roflmfao: or last for that matter. i can't even remember a decent entry since.... katrina and the waves? or maybe gina g, not that it was good but at least it was entertaining. i don't think anyone really thinks it's about the *best* song. except for of course last year :graucho: :lol: it's not as if i watch it as my main cultural event of the year, i watch it because it's fun, the more over the top the better.

and why on earth would you mention not having heard of certain countries in such a dismissive manner if that's the case :confused1: that sort of thing doesn't reflect well upon anyone!

I love watching Eurovision ah ah !!!
so funny, I also watch it on the british channel bc the guy is so funny, sarcastic comments about all the contestants, contrary of the French who take so...seriously as usual.
Lordi....oh my I was like "they brought out the trolls from the forests a la Lords of the rings" role games happening in the forest in this kind of costume is quite popular overhere ! lol....when I was invited to one of those roleplays I said : "And I would be as what ?? the strawberry fairy ??"
Back on the topic.....don't you just looove the tranni (transvestite) style of some of the presenters or singers ?
and the men in lycras ?? hilarious. so kitsch so good.
And the fact that the countries give points to their "friends" ?? eg / england > ireland, France>Spain, Latvia>Estonia, etc.....nothing to do with the actual song !!what's the point ??? oh yes a fabulous kitsch show lol

so it couldn't possibly have been because it was the second worst song in history (after last year's uk entry which was just too cringeworthy)? :roflmfao: wasn't it gemini that year? they couldn't even sing in tune, they DESERVED nul points. actually they deserved negative points but unfortunately that isn't possible.

I don't think Gemini were that bad (they weren't that good either) compared to the other dross we had to listen to. Also I read afterwards that their technical equipment failed which hadn't happened to the other contestants.

The one good thing about the Eurovision is that so many songs are appalling, so you get quite a few breaks to turn the volume down and then nip to the kitchen to make a cup of tea. It's too long winded anyway so I can't be bothered to watch it all. It should just be about 15 or 16 countries and that's it. Trouble is if the countries which have the highest populations in Europe don't have their song included no-one's going to bother watching from that country. The result would be loss of money and viewing figures.

I have heard the rumour that's been going round for many years now that Britain never wants to win as we'd then have the expense of hosting the costly extravaganza the following year.

I love Eurovision! Too bad i'm from America so I have to stream it online. :sad:

And I don't like this UK entry very much. But I guess it's an upgrade from last year's...that was umm...bad.

Iceland should had entered Silvia Night again :smile:

I can't believe that whole thing with Justin Hawkins is being hushed up! Not only was his song, the supposed favourite, utter tripe (well, I guess thats kind of the point with EV, but this was thes tripest of them all!) he then gets stroppy & STORMS off when he fails to make it to the final two!!!!

No one can deny the political voting in EV, I am personally glad that the UK has decide to treat the 'competition' with the contempt it deserves & submit a clearly pee-taking entry. :biggrin:

Eurovision is so terrible that it's compulsive viewing.
I just love Terry Wogan - he makes it especially when he's had a few.
As usual the UK song is utter drivel - everyone's going on about reducing carbon footprints and not flying so much so we have a song about - flying!
That's what makes Eurovision so much fun - it's completely irrelevant twaddle.

i love eurovision!!!!!!!!
we always have a party and score people. its so bad its good.

p.s. apparently terry wogan gets through at LEAST 1 bottle of baileys while doing the commentary