The elusive purse peace

I went to a conference the other day and left my purse at my table, when I came back there was a sticky note on it that said “you are obviously being over paid.” I was stunned, embarrassed and completely pissed off. Everyone at the table thought it was funny and I was forced to laugh and pretend it didn’t bother me. So I can completely understand what you mean by TPF is a safe place, I don’t feel like I’m being judged when I talk about my love of handbags or share my collection.
That's terrible. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Last year I told myself that I had more than enough purse to be content with, and for a while, I was happy. My last purchase of designer handbag was, I think, in November 2016. In 2017 I bought two Kipling bags, so they were by no means a splurge. That said, I'm currently itching to add some more LVs to my collection, and I have quite the list lol. I also noticed what triggered the itch, so I'm trying not to make the purchase now. Looking at the beautiful pictures on TPF is not helping :lol::facepalm:

I think I’m close as well.. My LV bag collection will be intentionally small (possibly no more than 6) but it will be classic and functional.
( Hmm I do have a lot of SLGs and I don’t have a definite limit on those items yet, lol).
I have obsessive compulsive personality traits and each bag must have a definite role/purpose (no languishing in my closet).

I’m an ‘old’ lady and I will use my bags till they wear out as they’re meant to be used and enjoyed. I must say I love being a ‘voyeur’ on these purse threads and looking at everyone’s beautiful bags, whether it’s the latest in season or vintage :smile:

This entire industry is designed to make Purse Peace an unattainable goal. They want you to always feel like you need something else. New releases hit store shelves all the time (even Hermès is churning out more bags than ever). Trends and so-called new classics pepper the pages of fashion magazines and pop up in the hands of the rich and famous. The luxury industry is not about talented artisans crafting one-of-a-kind special items in a Parisian atelier that smells like fresh croissants and lilac. It’s a multibillion dollar industry led by savvy marketing experts and business pros who relentlessly try to get you to spend gross amounts of money on worthless junk. You think those “free” stickers that come with The Book are cute? You like that VIP gift? The lux boutique equivalent to a free mini-dose of cocaine.

Whether we like it or not, most of us on tPF are dealing with a form of addiction. Purse Peace will not come from a closet full of carefully selected bags. It must come from within ourselves.

Preach!

I went to a conference the other day and left my purse at my table, when I came back there was a sticky note on it that said “you are obviously being over paid.” I was stunned, embarrassed and completely pissed off. Everyone at the table thought it was funny and I was forced to laugh and pretend it didn’t bother me. So I can completely understand what you mean by TPF is a safe place, I don’t feel like I’m being judged when I talk about my love of handbags or share my collection.

Omg I admire your restraint; if I was in your place whoever did it would have hell to pay. In my case, I only had "friends" who contributed nothing but received much, who of all people had the nerve to judge how I spend money. Needless to say, they were all reduced to complete strangers from that point. Karma will get these jealous idiots, who amuse themselves at others' expense! Carry your beautiful collection with pride!

Reactions: Jules626
Just adding to the “enjoying what you got” part of the purse peace achieving process —yesterday I pulled out my DA ZCP to pay for lunch when the guy working at the cash register said “ Wow, that is a pretty wallet”. I thought to myself “he is right, it is quite lovely”. We take what we already have for granted sometimes and just keep wanting to buy more. His unexpected statement made an impact on me (especially since I have been mulling over adding a couple more ZCPs to my collection).
You are so right but unfortunately we take a lot of things that are blessings for granted daily. It is really nice to be reminded. And your approach is always gental lamminda. Thank you.

I appreciate everyone’s honest feedback.

When I look at my collection it gives me such joy. And that is the missing important link that turns the joy of collecting into the crazy handbag carousel. You have to enjoy what you currently have instead of buying, selling, trading, stealing [emoji23] you get the point. I buy 1 maybe 2 bags per year (not saying this is an ideal or correct number) but that is what I can afford (very important) and that is what allows me to turn over my collection at a semi regular basis to keep it fresh and exciting but still allowing me to enjoy what I have. The moment you start feeling overwhelmed or bombarded by your collection it’s time to take a good hard look at why you are collecting to begin with. If the point is to have what someone else has or to have as many as you possibly can then that is the wrong reason. Like someone else said, the peace has to be within.

I can talk about handbags until the cows come home, I love the craftsmanship and the history behind some of these beautiful pieces, but I do not feel I need to own every piece that I like.

The handbag industry is not a nonprofit, the more you buy the better it is for business. But don’t get caught up in the crazy. That sucks all the fun out of it.

I appreciate everyone’s honest feedback.

When I look at my collection it gives me such joy. And that is the missing important link that turns the joy of collecting into the crazy handbag carousel. You have to enjoy what you currently have instead of buying, selling, trading, stealing [emoji23] you get the point. I buy 1 maybe 2 bags per year (not saying this is an ideal or correct number) but that is what I can afford (very important) and that is what allows me to turn over my collection at a semi regular basis to keep it fresh and exciting but still allowing me to enjoy what I have. The moment you start feeling overwhelmed or bombarded by your collection it’s time to take a good hard look at why you are collecting to begin with. If the point is to have what someone else has or to have as many as you possibly can then that is the wrong reason. Like someone else said, the peace has to be within.

I can talk about handbags until the cows come home, I love the craftsmanship and the history behind some of these beautiful pieces, but I do not feel I need to own every piece that I like.

The handbag industry is not a nonprofit, the more you buy the better it is for business. But don’t get caught up in the crazy. That sucks all the fun out of it.

[emoji847]

That was like a cold shower. Good for you, but not so comfortable.:hrmm:

This entire industry is designed to make Purse Peace an unattainable goal. They want you to always feel like you need something else. New releases hit store shelves all the time (even Hermès is churning out more bags than ever). Trends and so-called new classics pepper the pages of fashion magazines and pop up in the hands of the rich and famous. The luxury industry is not about talented artisans crafting one-of-a-kind special items in a Parisian atelier that smells like fresh croissants and lilac. It’s a multibillion dollar industry led by savvy marketing experts and business pros who relentlessly try to get you to spend gross amounts of money on worthless junk. You think those “free” stickers that come with The Book are cute? You like that VIP gift? The lux boutique equivalent to a free mini-dose of cocaine.

Whether we like it or not, most of us on tPF are dealing with a form of addiction. Purse Peace will not come from a closet full of carefully selected bags. It must come from within ourselves.