The Easiest Way To Sell Things?

McLoverly

O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
I am doing an end of year clean out and I have garbage bags full of things to get rid of. Some things I will just donate, but I have bags of designer jeans and things. Most have been worn only once or still have their tags on. I have multiple pairs of leather pants, silk dresses, ceramic watches, etc.

I used to ebay, but recently I just find that the fees are very high and there are too many risks. I've used places like Fashionphile and Yoogiscloset for really high end bags. What do you suggest for bulk items in this range?

Reactions: BelleZeBoob
Just did a count of the first few bags... over 30 pairs of designer jeans! Are Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads my best bets? I've never used either before. I know The Real Real will accept my designer leather pants, but their consignment makes me a bit nervous and I'd much prefer cash.

Any other suggestions?

Reactions: BelleZeBoob
Just did a count of the first few bags... over 30 pairs of designer jeans! Are Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads my best bets? I've never used either before. I know The Real Real will accept my designer leather pants, but their consignment makes me a bit nervous and I'd much prefer cash.

Any other suggestions?

Have you tried Poshmark? They “authenticate” anything sold over $500, take a 20% commission if sold. Buyer pays shipping. The customer service response takes forever and is iffy, but every problem I have had they have fixed. I photo every sold item and the package I sent it in with visible label.

Also, advise against trading there as many scammers. If you do trade, be sure the other person has reputable references and a closet with similar items (ie not a closet full of used junk).

And also....I like older model LV etc [emoji23] epi leather in particular hehehehe lolololololol! Shameless plug [emoji56]

You will do better than garage sales.

I was considering dropping my things off for consignment, but I would really prefer cash. I called a couple of places and the prices were heartbreaking. $8 for $200 jeans with tags on? I usually donate bags at the the end of the year and still plan to, but it seemed like it would be nice to have some cash for brand new designer items. It actually looks like I might be best off just writing off my itemized donation. I’m going to check with my accountant since I don’t know how the new tax laws are going to change things this year.

I'm in the same boat. I think I'm going to try going to my local consignment shop and see what they want for some brands that I think would be appealing for the area - (example) Rebecca Minkoff/Wildfox. Might bring a few items from the next rung up (Golden Goose sneakers, Rag and Bone, Equipment shirts) and see how that goes. Im not expecting to make much, or recoup much, but, it would be nice to have a chunk to go towards some new things! :biggrin: If I get terrible offers or no interest, I'll take my stuff to Poshmark/Tradesy. For the higher end stuff, I think I'll consign with the big guns like Fashionphile/Yoogis. I actually have my eye on a few Fashionphile things, so, I'm hoping they give a better offer/store credit if you plan to buy from them?

I am doing an end of year clean out and I have garbage bags full of things to get rid of. Some things I will just donate, but I have bags of designer jeans and things. Most have been worn only once or still have their tags on. I have multiple pairs of leather pants, silk dresses, ceramic watches, etc.

I used to ebay, but recently I just find that the fees are very high and there are too many risks. I've used places like Fashionphile and Yoogiscloset for really high end bags. What do you suggest for bulk items in this range?

There are some consignment stores near me that buy items outright only - so you take your stuff in and in about an hour they give you a quote and a check. Then you don't have to wait for the item to sell to get your money. The only downside is that they don't pay much - but for nice items it's better than giving to Goodwill. I feel your pain - my husband lost a lot of weight and has a ton of barely worn nike, under armour and north face stuff and there's nowhere around here that will buy men's clothes. I'm going to have to list the stuff on ebay for super cheap prices and hope it doesn't take too much time.

The Marketplace on Facebook also may work well. If priced moderately, I guess that your items have a good chance to find another home rather quickly.
I closely watch the Marketplace for designed items, and promptly contact the poster if something of my interest pops up.

In all honesty, you will not get much for your jeans. Material World, Real Real, Ebay and Thred Up are feasible options but do not expect much of a return.