The Duggar's Reality Show Thread

i just watched the episode about the Bate's coming to visit them.... and they make the Duggars look normal.... I get that the girls like those dresses... but really... do you really need to bring all that attention to yourselves?? Leave off the big rings around the collars and the puffy sleeves and i'm sure they'd be very pretty dresses. In one interview it even kinda sounded like one of the Duggar girls was making fun of them 'i guess they kinda like the western look.....?? we're more modern modest" and she's right, after seeing the Bates, the Duggar do dress pretty normal, just more modest.

During the proposal episode, part of me wondered whether he was going to give her a ring. (Maybe they didn't believe in rings? I don't know.)

She did get a ring. And I found it interesting that we never saw it. Other women who get engaged love showing off the ring. (Maybe showing the ring isn't considered 'modest'?)

It was rather cute that during the car ride home, their hands were practically welded together.

Did anyone see that How I Met Your Mother when Ted was trying to write the toast for Marshall and Lily's wedding? He was having difficulty, because Marshall kept censoring him. He didn't want certain people hearing particular stories.

Ted's censored speech replaced alcohol with chocolate milk and sex with hand holding.

(I had to find the episode because it was too hilarious not to get word for word.)

Marshall: You know what I'd like to do to you right now? I'd like to hold your hand. I'd like to hold your hand so hard that you're not able to shake hands for a week.
Lily: Are you just going to talk about holding my hand or are you going to hold it?

Later on, in Ted's story, Robin is shocked when she catches them with silly grins on their faces, holding hands in a bathroom stall.

I do like the show, but by the end I was so wholesomed out that I muted the tv and danced to Chamillionaire's Grown and Sexy.

I needed some debauchery!

Last edited:
This show is far too wholesome for me.
Interesting perception. That is not the first word that would spring to my mind if someone channeled their inner Miss Niecy and insisted on a single word, I would have to go with ILuvShopping and say "disturbing."

I completely understand wanting to wait to have sex until you're married but the thing I don't understand in regards to waiting to even kiss is what makes you more than "friends".
The whole thing of having no physical contact, even limited or no social contact, with the opposite sex is something many cultures have done for thousands of years, most of them used to do it to some degree.

The custom is rooted in the tradition of women as property, as a commodity, and the question you ask is a very good one.

What makes them more than friends has to do with their concept of marriage, just as it is with those of us who may have a more modern view!

This is a huge and complex subject, albeit a fascinating one, and it deserves more than a couple of paragraphs in a thread about a reality show.

And I still don't think I have answered your queston very well. I guess the short answer is that in a way, in all the ways that matter most to them, they don't necessarily have to be more than "buddies."

On edit: I guess I should explain why I find it disturbing, and I will try to do so without discussing religion or dissing anybody's beliefs.

The main thing that disturbs me is that she has so completely subsumed herself, and with the enthusiastic cooperation of her husband, to the process of reproduction that she will just continue to reproduce until she dies from it, and both she and her husband are fine with that.

She believes this is her purpose, this is what she is intended to do, supposed to do, destined and divinely mandated to do, to exist not as a full-fledged human being, but merely a receptacle, a mechanical appliance.

And when she does die from it, I imagine that Mr Duggar (who has a history of being a politician) will waste no time in obtaining a replacement appliance, and running it on turbo until it too, expires.

Last edited:
I don't see Anna being like Michelle Duggar.

I don't see her having 18 kids.

She went to college and she's now working with Josh.

(Just out of curiosity, I went to their website.)

I saw the episode where Josh giving her a tour of the house and the car dealership.

He was saying things like "This is where we will live and this is where we will work . . . "

I noticed that his tone was more excited than authoritative. He also kept asking if that was okay with her.

And he didn't say "This is where I will work and this is where you will stay while having my babies."

...And he didn't say "This is where I will work and this is where you will stay while having my babies."
Well, neither does Duggar. Obviously, I cannot claim to be a big fan of the man, nor do I share his beliefs, but every conversation I have heard him had on the subject, he has been very clear that having each baby was up to Michelle.

Now, obviously we don't know if he tells her that having a baby is up to her but of course their beliefs would not permit any kind of contraception, so if she don't want baby, she don't get no Duggar. And yes. EW.

But I digress.

My point is that because Anna does share these beliefs, Josh does not need to tell her this is where you will stay and have the babies. I imagine that as Michelle says of her own daughters, they do not tell them that the MUST live that lifestyle, to dedicate themselves to home and children, but that this is what all of her daughters just happen to want.

We will all have to wait until the girls get a little older before we know if this is really the case, but I believe her.

This is a culture thing, it is what they believe, it is how they see themselves, their purpose in life, their destiny.

While their contact with the outside world is very strictly limited, it is not totally forbidden, they are not entirely aware of other lifestyles, other belief systems, just as you are not.

Yet you would probably not have high level of interest in marrying a Duggar son and cranking out product till the machine broke. Not because you don't realize you have that option, but because your own culture, and your own beliefs about your purpose and your value are just - different.

You could walk into just about any little village in the Hindu Kush and find nothing but Duggars, just a different cultural context, tied to a different faith tradition. And I can promise you, if you said to any of those girls, yo, come on with me back to the big city and go on dates by yourself with boys, maybe have a boyfriend, kiss him, sleep with him, maybe marry him, maybe marry somebody else, and then every day you will get up and go to your office and he will get up and go to his office, and some days you will meet him for lunch, where you will sit out on the street and drink white wine with your hair and your knees on display, you would not get a whole lot of takers.

Now what we don't know is, what if we went over there as a camera crew, and set up behind the mud walls and lived there for a few months, during which time the girls got to know us, and learned about our lifestyles and beliefs in THAT context - that's anybody's guess.

And so it will be with the Duggar girls. Who knows? One or more of them might decide she wants to grow up and wear a down vest with a whole mess of pockets and hold a boom all day - and then go have that white wine with her boyfriend and no chaperone!

I agree with everything you just said Shimma.

I only wrote what I wrote because someonne pointed out the fact that Josh said, "This is where we will live" and "This is where we will work."

I was pointing his tone as he was doing the pointing out.

Oh dear, I didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you! I am railing at anything in my path this evening, and you just happened to be close by when it came time to rail at Duggars.

These people make me ashamed to be from Arkansas. Many people here, including me, are disgusted by this family. If I went into all the reasons why, I would be breaking several forum rules, so I won't. There's nothing modest about prostituting your bloated, hypocritical family on national television. Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar are vile and I hope this ridiculous show is canceled, although the way TLC has been choosing its programming of late, I doubt it ever will be. Every show is now about the care and breeding of tiny humans. The Duggar's great-great-great-grandchildren, all 10,000 of them, will probably have an entire network devoted to them. Ugh!

^^^It's their business if they want to put their family on tv and if people are interested enough to watch. It's no different than the others, Kate and John +8, etc, who get shows based on their procreation activities. As long as they are the ones taking care of their of their kids who cares.

I'd be more worried about the young kids having babies out of wedlock, and dumping their kids in the foster care system or sponging off the welfare system (our tax paying dollars).