The DISNEY in 09 thread!!!!

1. Hi! We are running a fun little TPF community giveaway to win a new Polene bag! Head over to this thread to enter. Good luck!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hey all,

When i get back from Iraq this spring i am going to take my hubby and kids to Disney World. I went to DW Magic Kingdom in 03 with my then 5 yr old. Fast forward to 09 and am taking the hubby, my mom, my 11 yr old and 18 month old.
    HELP! i need tips. We are going to stay at the Pop Century Resort as i am looking to spend as little as possible on the hotel, since we will be there for 5 nights, 6 days. Since we are military we get in for free, but have to pay for the resort. My DH and mom have never been to DW so I want to stay in the resorts to still "feel the magic".

I am sooo excited!!!!! i can barely contain myself! we are planning to go
    30 March till 3 April!

TIA!

2. #2 Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    exciting! we'll be going back to disney world too this spring (we went there last year for x'mas07/new year08, and my kids were 4 1/2 yrs and 18mths at that time). i would suggest taking the dining plan cause it'll save you lots of $$....it gives each person 1 table service, 1 quick service, and 1 snack for each night you stay in the resort. what we did was to use the "table service" for dinners (made advance reservation), "quick service" for lunch (you can use these in the fast food restaurants/cafe's), and use the "snack" to get drinks/snacks.

also you can call them to book lunch/dinners with characters. i did this last year and are repeating the same thing for this spring 09. i booked only dinners though, so that we don't have to queue/rush around looking for a place to eat/relax after the long day. i might sound a little neurotic, but i like to have things planned in advance=P.

last year we did dinner at cinderella's castle, liberty tree tavern (w/ goofy&friends), crystal palace (pooh bear). those 3 are in magic kingdom. and we also did the spirit of aloha dinner show. the kids really enjoyed that.

this year, i'm skipping cinderella's castle cause it was more for the experience. the food was ok (we prefer the other 3 meals) and it cost double than the others though. we're going to try out arkhesus royal table (epcot), capt'n jack's (downtown disney), as well as repeating the aloha dinner show, crystal palace, and liberty tree tavern.

good luck and i'm sure you guys would have great fun!

3. I pray to god that I get to spend a few days in Orlando sometime this year. I haven't been since my husband was my boyfriend back in 2005. I remember because it was the same day we fled Katrina, leaving Miami. We were at Disneyland a few weeks ago but for only one day, and it was nothing but a tease. I need some serious time there.

So I'm thinking of trying to go around my birthday, like we did the last time. The problems: my husband started a new career a few months back and doesn't exactly have a lot of vacation time. To do everything I want to do, we'd need at least six days and five nights there. I'm tempted to go ahead and reserve our rooms at Shades of Green and let my dad and mom know ahead of time so they can start saving up now (my dad loves the place and hasn't been in 13 years) but...I don't know if we'd be able to swing it. Also, my husband would like to see his sister on her birthday. She lives in Miami, and she and I have the same birthday. You get in free on your birthday this year, but if we're in Miami at the time, nothing doing. So we'll see...

I'll keep my fingers crossed. You guys keep your fingers crossed for me, LOL.

anglarry04: have you guys considered Shades of Green? You're still on Disney property (if I remember correctly it's close to the Polynesian resort), but it's catered toward the military and only active duty or retirees can stay there. They have shuttle service to all the Disney parks, so you're still getting the experience, and will be able to "feel the magic" as well, but the rates might be better than at Pop Century.

And military people get in free? I'm sure you mean active duty. Sigh. I wish retirees did as well!

4. Ohhhh, I'm going to Disney World, Universal, Epcot & MGM February 5th! :yahoo:
    DH and I wanted to go before we have kids so we can enjoy ourselves! I can't wait, I haven't been since I was 12.

5. We will be going the last week of March, but I think we will find a marriott to stay at so we can use our points. It will really cut the cost!

6. As I said earlier in the thread, I REALLY want to go to Disney World this year! It seems as if my husband was reading my mind (or picked up on my vibes) because he emailed me this link today and told me to start trying to think of a time for us to go! I'll look into it some more on Monday. So, for those of you in the military, check this out:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2009/01/military_disney_discounts_011509w/

Disney offers free, discounted park tickets

By Karen Jowers - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Jan 16, 2009 15:54:03 EST
    Military personnel, retirees and their families are eligible for free or discounted tickets to Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland in California. This includes the Coast Guard as well as National Guard and Reserve personnel who have been activated at any time between Jan. 1, 2008, and the time the promotions end, said Randy Gerber, military sales manager for Destination Disney.
    Spouses of troops who are deployed during the time of the special offer simply need to show their military ID card to purchase up to five discounted “Disney Armed Forces Salute Companion” tickets, Gerber said. This enables spouses of those who are deployed during the entire year, for example, to take advantage of the offer.
    Here are the deals:
    • Walt Disney World: Through Dec. 23, each active or retired member can get a free five-day “Disney’s Armed Forces Salute” ticket at a military base ticket office, including the Shades of Green Resort at Walt Disney World, or at main entrance theme park ticket windows. Active or retired personnel can also buy up to five five-day tickets for $99 per ticket, plus tax, for family members or friends.
    • Disneyland: Through June 12, active or retired military personnel can get an exchange certificate for a free three-day “Disney’s Armed Forces Salute” Park Hopper ticket, at a military base ticket office. The military member can also make a one-time purchase of a three-day “Disney’s Armed Forces Salute Companion” Park Hopper ticket for the price of an adult one-day ticket, for up to five family members or friends. These, too, can be bought only at a military base ticket office before you go to the park.
    Remember that you have to activate the exchange certificates obtained at military base ticket offices at the ticket windows at the main entrance. For more details on these and additional options, including discount rates at Disney resort hotels, visit the program’s Web site or call the military base ticket office.

Here is a direct link to the Disney website regarding the offer:

http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.go.com/ibcwdw/en_US/specialOfferDetails?name=Promo&promotionCode=fy09military&market=fy09military&CMP=VAN-WDWFY09MilitaryOfferVanity

Walt Disney World Salutes the Men and Women Who Serve

Save up to 40% on rooms

Special deal for eligible members of the U.S. Military: Save up to 40% on rooms at select Disney Moderate Resorts!* For stays most nights January 4 to December 23, 2009, except not available at all 2/13-2/15, 4/4-4/18, 5/22-5/24, 7/3-7/4, 11/25-11/26/09. Also, ask about special rates through December 23, 2009 at other select Walt Disney World® Resort Hotels.

• *The number of rooms allocated for this offer is limited. Minimum length of stay requirements may apply for Friday or Saturday arrivals. Savings based on non-discounted price for the same room. No group rates or other discounts apply. Advance reservations required. Additional per-adult charges apply if more than two adults per room.

Plus a complimentary 5-day "Disney's Armed Forces
    Salute" ticket

Through December 23, 2009, each active or retired member of the U.S. military may obtain one complimentary 5-day "Disney's Armed Forces Salute" ticket with Park Hopper® and Water Park Fun & More options. This ticket is valid for five days of admission into the four Walt Disney World® theme parks, plus a total of five visits to a choice of a Disney water park, DisneyQuest® Indoor Interactive Theme Park or certain other attractions. During this offer period, active or retired U.S. military personnel (or their spouses, but not both) may also make a one-time purchase of up to a maximum of five 5-Day "Disney's Armed Forces Salute Companion" tickets (one theme park per day) for $99 per ticket, plus tax, for family members (including spouse) or friends. Although this ticket for family members and friends does not include either the Park Hopper® or Water Park Fun & More options, this ticket can be upgraded to add either such option, or both, for an additional $25, plus tax, per option. Actual prices may be less. All tickets and options are non-transferable and must be used by December 23, 2009.
    Activated members of the National Guard or Reservists (with orders showing active status after January 1, 2008) and active or retired members of the United States Coast Guard are also eligible to participate in this offer.
    "Disney's Armed Forces Salute" tickets can be obtained only at participating U.S. military base ticket offices (including at the Shades of Green Resort at the Walt Disney World® Resort), or at main entrance theme park ticket windows. Tickets are not valid until activated at the main entrance theme park ticket windows. Valid military identification (including, for activated members of the National Guard or Reservists, orders showing active status after January 1, 2008) will be required to be presented by the service member (or spouse) for all ticket transactions (including to activate tickets at the main entrance theme park ticket windows). See your military base ticket office or click here for details. All parties must be present when purchasing or activating tickets at main entrance theme park ticket windows.

7. Ill be in Disney in APril......with a one yr old..LOL...Im a bit nervous as this will be the first tome in a LONG time Ive traveled with a baby!

8. Caxe: i was just about to come on here and tell you about that deal. That is why we are going. Active duty personnel (my DH and i both) will be free. But the 3 kiddies and my mom will get a discounted rate. We went ahead and reserved a room with All Star Movies resort. It will be super cheap, we got 2 adjoining rooms!
    I thought about Shades of Green but everytime i look they are too booked. so i want to stay on Disney. This is my hubbys first time to any Disney park.

Jill: i am in the same boat as you, i will be traveling with my 19 month old! I am kind of nervous. Hopefully he can ride on a bunch of rides and not act up with the characters. I think it will be great to have to convenience of going to the resort if we need a "break" from the chaos.

9. ^your 19mths old would be free! :tup:

10. yeah thankfully any children under 2 are free!!!!

11. We're moving to Miami in May....might try to plan a short 4-5 day trip to DW for Thanksgiving. We used to go to Disneyland every Thanksgiving when we lived in CA...it was a tradition. So we'll try to pick that up again!

12. lucky you, twiggers! :nuts:

13. I can't wait maria!!! I have been wanting to go to DW since I was a little kid. I don't know if I'll be able to wait until November....but going in the summer would be awful with all the heat!

14. we're going to Tokyo Disneyland on the 19th of Jan (Martin Luther King Day!).. I wonder if they will give discounts to US Military-Active Duty?! LOL

forgot to mention.. I'm SCARED!!! LOL DH and I will be going for the 1st time with our 3y/o DD and 8month old DS (plus my MIL will be with us as well).

15. we went to Disney World back in dec07/jan08, but we went back to orlando for Universal studio's beginning of june08. i think beginning of june the heat was bearable. however in high summer, it might be a good idea to go to the park in the morning, have a little rest in the shade/hotel in the midday, and return back to the parks in the late afternoon. the disney parks close late, which is nice:smile:

we love theme parks.....dh and i are just "big kids" *LOL!