The Dior hype

kate2828

Feb 19, 2017
Hello Dior lovers - Lately I've noticed a lot of posts about Dior not just on TPF but also on insta and you tube. I don't currently own any Dior but all of the hype has certainly made me more attentive about the brand and what it has to offer. However, I have also seen some videos where there seem to be some quality issues with the bags. I know there are quality issues with virtually any lux brand but am curious to know for those of you who own Dior what your experience has been with the wear and tear on these bags, shoes, wallets and even the tribal earrings! And what would you recommend as a first purchase from Dior? The classic lady Dior? The diorama? The diorever and why? And what do you think about the hype?

Hello Dior lovers - Lately I've noticed a lot of posts about Dior not just on TPF but also on insta and you tube. I don't currently own any Dior but all of the hype has certainly made me more attentive about the brand an it has to offer. However, I have also seen some videos where there seem to be some quality issues with the bags. I know there are quality issues with virtually any lux brand but am curious to know for those of you who own Dior what your experience has been with the wear and tear on these bags, shoes, wallets and even the tribal earrings! And what would you recommend as a first purchase from Dior? The classic lady Dior? The diorama? The diorever and why? And what do you think about the hype?

IMO Dior quality is pretty unsurpassable. Not sure what the specifics of the quality issues are you've encountered or heard about, but MGC since taking over has actually made it a priority to improve the quality even more - the leathers, textures, stitching, straps, etc. The new grained or distressed calf, the smooth calf, the suede interiors, the solid construction on the straps and hardware, etc. I think make Dior's quality near the top (I've had more issues with Chanel and LV for sure).

For your first, it totally depends on your style. What are your other favorite bags you love? Lady Dior is very lady-like and refined, more dressy and girly but super classic, where the Diorama, or one of the newer logo emblazened bags with the thick straps are edgier and more modern. If you peruse some of the threads for pre fall or fall/winter, you will see some hybrid versions of bags coming out that mix the ladylike presence of the Lady Dior with studs to make it fun and edgy. And distressed calf to make them durable. Or the "Dior Addict" bag which mixes the quintessential cannage quilting with edgier hardware in a flap bag with chain straps.

These are some of my favorites coming out for fall...

IMG_0462.jpeg IMG_1552.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 8.47.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 9.32.29 AM.png

IMO Dior quality is pretty unsurpassable. Not sure what the specifics of the quality issues are you've encountered or heard about, but MGC since taking over has actually made it a priority to improve the quality even more - the leathers, textures, stitching, straps, etc. The new grained or distressed calf, the smooth calf, the suede interiors, the solid construction on the straps and hardware, etc. I think make Dior's quality near the top (I've had more issues with Chanel and LV for sure).

For your first, it totally depends on your style. What are your other favorite bags you love? Lady Dior is very lady-like and refined, more dressy and girly but super classic, where the Diorama, or one of the newer logo emblazened bags with the thick straps are edgier and more modern. If you peruse some of the threads for pre fall or fall/winter, you will see some hybrid versions of bags coming out that mix the ladylike presence of the Lady Dior with studs to make it fun and edgy. And distressed calf to make them durable. Or the "Dior Addict" bag which mixes the quintessential cannage quilting with edgier hardware in a flap bag with chain straps.

These are some of my favorites coming out for fall...

View attachment 3670870 View attachment 3670871 View attachment 3670872 View attachment 3670873

Thanks for sharing. Loving these fall bags! I most recently saw a YouTuber complain about the stitching on a Dior. The bag just came apart at the seems without much use according to this one youtuber. The bag was metallic. My style tends to be casual and I go for classic looks rather than edgy. The lady Dior appeals to me because of the tote style. And so does the diorever. I'd probably go for the large size. I love flap bags but they're really not me!

Thanks for sharing. Loving these fall bags! I most recently saw a YouTuber complain about the stitching on a Dior. The bag just came apart at the seems without much use according to this one youtuber. The bag was metallic. My style tends to be casual and I go for classic looks rather than edgy. The lady Dior appeals to me because of the tote style. And so does the diorever. I'd probably go for the large size. I love flap bags but they're really not me!
Can you post the link of that Youtube video here please?

Can you post the link of that Youtube video here please?

See Alex's video 11.30 minutes in . Also I think Charles gross sold off all his Dior bags. And Sophie shohet recently did a video where there was a bag she bought that had a huge crease down the front and so she returned it and is waiting for another one.

I cant really speak for the Diorever or the metallic leather but my experience so far with Dior products (i.e. lambskin) has been fantastic. I love that when the lambskin gets scratched, you can easily buff it out with leather lotion. People think the Lady Dior in lambskin is very delicate but it actually is not "that" delicate. It's a very solid bag. All my other purchases are really well made as well. Plus, I have to say that the experience at Dior boutiques is truly what luxury should be. In my opinion, because they're so popular, Chanel Gucci Hermes etc. they're not truly luxury anymore. You go in, you ask for an item, you pay and leave. But at Dior, you make conversions, the SAs show you other products, educate you about the brand, they go out of their ways to help you. I always come back from a Dior boutique with an over the moon feeling. To me, that is what luxury should be, and so far in my own experience, only Dior (and sometimes Louis Vuitton) can deliver.
The Lady Dior is my favourite design and I'm definitely adding a few more to my collection in the future!

See Alex's video 11.30 minutes in . Also I think Charles gross sold off all his Dior bags. And Sophie shohet recently did a video where there was a bag she bought that had a huge crease down the front and so she returned it and is waiting for another one.

Seen both those vids. The first one is more concerning but they may have changed quality since that.

Reactions: kate2828
I've had Dior bags since I first got into all this stuff back in 2006-2007. My Diorissimo hobo is still perfect, so is my Lady Dior tote. I had quite a few more, but sold them as my style has changed over the years. It's a timeless, classic brand and well worth the price. The quality and style is unsurpassable, as is the same with all these classic lux goods brands.

I bought my mom a Dior clutch like 8 years ago (2009), I don't even knoz the name of that but ut's lambskin with the cannage like on the Lady Dior. It still looks brand new!!!! My mom still uses it for some formal dinners, events.
I also have a Lady Dior since last November and so far I'm happy with it and I will buy more Dior, not because of the hype but I just love the brand.

P.S/ I used to like Charles Gross but not anymore the day he bought a Chanel.

Do you have the video of where Charles Gross said he sold his Diors? I can't find it. He just got a Dior D-Fence bag recently.

The Diorever was not falling apart. Just the top corner stitch either came off or wasn't put in (sometimes that happens). Quite an exaggeration to say the bag was falling apart. Besides, it's an easy repair.

I wouldn't take one person's testimony of a brand's quality. It should come from multiple users. Dior is not immune to quality issues, but so far, from what I read on this forum from users and from used Dior bags that are sold on Ebay, I can safely say that the quality of Dior is good.

Do you have the video of where Charles Gross said he sold his Diors? I can't find it. He just got a Dior D-Fence bag recently.

The Diorever was not falling apart. Just the top corner stitch either came off or wasn't put in (sometimes that happens). Quite an exaggeration to say the bag was falling apart. Besides, it's an easy repair.

I wouldn't take one person's testimony of a brand's quality. It should come from multiple users. Dior is not immune to quality issues, but so far, from what I read on this forum from users and from used Dior bags that are sold on Ebay, I can safely say that the quality of Dior is good.

I don't remember which video but I do recall he was talking about his birkins and how he plans to only buy birkins.

I think Alex went through three bags so I think that is disconcerting. It could just be this model. And it isn't just one person's opinion. As I noted, Sophie has also complained.

As I said above I know that any brand can have quality issues but it is good to still have input anyway from those who own the bags. Have you owned any Dior and if so which ones have lead to your opinion about Dior?

I bought my mom a Dior clutch like 8 years ago (2009), I don't even knoz the name of that but ut's lambskin with the cannage like on the Lady Dior. It still looks brand new!!!! My mom still uses it for some formal dinners, events.
I also have a Lady Dior since last November and so far I'm happy with it and I will buy more Dior, not because of the hype but I just love the brand.

P.S/ I used to like Charles Gross but not anymore the day he bought a Chanel.

Lol. Why don't you like Chanel?

Reactions: averagejoe