The Descent

secret_shopaholic said:
I saw it about a year ago in the UK. I can't remember the eyeball scene. Anyhow the worst part for me was the part when she came out of the pool of blood that she was in and she was spitting out the blood from having hid in the water!

That was one of the Carrie reference in the movie. I love how this movie pays homage to several other classics.

The eye gouging part was near the end when she and Juno were fighting several crawlers at once. Sarah gouged out the crawler's eyes long after it was dead. That was one intense battle. I was also taken aback when the crawler bit her and she bit it back! It definitely hinted at her gradual descent to madness.

LisaG719 said:
I just saw the Eurpean version ( with the correct ending ) and I loved it! It really scared the piss out of me even though I was in my own living room. I agree with the other poster that said the leg break scene was one of the worst for me - the eyeball scene coming a close second. I really liked the European ending best. I cant believe the cut it short in the American version!

The leg break scene was intense for me because that was something I could imagine happening in the real world. I mean, running into crawlers are more surreal but a bad broken leg like Holly's is definitely a possible accident that can occur at any rockclimbing trip. It was so realistic too. I cringed when I first saw the bone, and then it was waaay worse when they had to cut away the fabric. *shudders*

Selena said:
I loved this movie so much I want to see it again!!! It scared the crap out of me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same here, I want to watch it again too. I'm waiting for the DVD to come out so I can watch both the uncut and cut version. Btw, did you notice that there was a crawler at the corner when the girls were crossing the first chasm?

One of the things that amazed me about this film is that they did not relent on the gore. A lot of films tend to cut things out when a woman is being killed. This one cut NOTHING ... I think it's the rawness of it that made this film so chilling.

I feel so awful for the women who died in that cave.

Yes it was really horrifying. I also liked how they delayed the crawlers appearance and just the actual descent into the cave was really really scary. Its really the first film I have seen in a LONG time that had strong female characters like this. When I saw that it was 5 females in the lead..I thought this was going to be a typical T & A flick..but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of each character and they were not bimbos.

mello_yello_jen said:
My boyfriend told me that the necklace had something to do with it but I don't get how the necklace is related to the affair (was it an affair?).

Engraved on the necklace was a saying Sara's husband used to say. "Love each day" I think it was. Sara mentioned it when they first arrived at the cabin and they were looking at an old picture of them.

It was pretty good, but not as scary as I was hoping. I agree with kou about the broken leg part LOL I was cringing! The part when Beth was killed I felt bad for both her and Juno. Juno didnt mean to and I'm sure, had they lived, it wouldve eaten her alive to have to live with knowing what really happened.

abandonedimages said:
Engraved on the necklace was a saying Sara's husband used to say. "Love each day" I think it was. Sara mentioned it when they first arrived at the cabin and they were looking at an old picture of them.

I kept getting the impression that Sara didn't realize what was going on until she saw that necklace. The series of event from seeing Beth that way, to realizing the implication of the necklace, to several things that she did afterwards (which I won't mention) were probably the last straw that led to her final descent into madness.

It was pretty good, but not as scary as I was hoping. I agree with kou about the broken leg part LOL I was cringing! The part when Beth was killed I felt bad for both her and Juno. Juno didnt mean to and I'm sure, had they lived, it wouldve eaten her alive to have to live with knowing what really happened.

I thought it was going to be scarier too, but I really like how there's a lot of character development in this. Nobody is completely bad or completely good. Juno and Sarah are both subjects of debate because of what they did. Oh and spoilers follow ...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

S

P

A

C

E

I think out of all the characters, Juno probably had the worst end ... I mean, Sarah hacked her in the leg. Even then, I think Juno's last words to Sarah was telling her to RUN! I can tell that Juno REALLY TRIED to make amends for what she did. She was the ONLY character who really put her neck on the line for all the other women. I'm pretty sure that after being hacked in the leg and left behind with all those crawlers, she probably got torn apart :Push:

The second worst death is probably Becca. Ugh ... I cringed on that one too when I realized what that Crawler was doing to her. That was one disemboweling scene that I am never going to forget :throwup: Beth also suffered ... Although I wonder how she could still talk because I thought the icepick went through her trachea, so she would've choked to death on her blood ... Maybe I saw it wrong.

Selena said:
Yes it was really horrifying. I also liked how they delayed the crawlers appearance and just the actual descent into the cave was really really scary. Its really the first film I have seen in a LONG time that had strong female characters like this. When I saw that it was 5 females in the lead..I thought this was going to be a typical T & A flick..but I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of each character and they were not bimbos.

I agree completely!!! I think that's one of the reasons that this film is so well-done. You don't see damsels in distress, you don't see one-dimensional character. Instead, every woman REALLY fight for it (except Holly but there wasn't much she could do). The part where Sarah got stuck in the tunnel was very harrowing. That's something that could definitely happen to anyone who is exploring a cave and decide to crawl through a small space. It was sooo claustrophobic!

I was really cheering for the women when they fought against the Crawlers. Juno really kicked major :censor: !!! Sarah was pretty ruthless as she slowly descent into madness.

abandonedimages said:

Thanks V!!

HORRIFIC PICTURE AHEAD......

The_Descent.jpg

This part had me crawling into my boyfriend's lap with my head against his shoulder bawling my eyes OUT. *SHIVERS*

Sorry Lisa!! At least you have your adorable dogs to protect you, I started imagining things yesterday when I was brushing my teeth and I had no one here to run to =(

*SHIVERS!*