The Departed

1. Did everyone go see this film this weekend?

if you didn't yet...
    GO SEE IT!
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

worth every penny!

2. A+++++++++
    did you guys know that this movie was actually a HK movie first..
    they asked permission to make it in the american version..
    nonetheless,GREAT movie!:yes:

3. I did too! I saw the HK version "Infernal Affairs" too. I thought this was a great version! Used to hate Leonardo but he was great in this movie! Ending was a bit ridiculous though.

4. I KNOW!!
    leonardo was AWESOME!!
    seriously awesome..it's a great comeback..
    coz he was away for some time..:P
    "internal affairs" has like 1,2,3 films..
    i guess the ending was weird for the american version coz they dont wanna do a second one..hihi...

5. -----
    (news.yahoo.com)
    "Departed" Arrives on Top

By Bridget Byrne
    Sun Oct 8, 11:46 PM ET

The Departed sent Leatherface and Jessica Simpson packing as Martin Scorsese's all-star crime drama hauled in $27 million to dominate the weekend box office.

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg in a tale of subterfuge and betrayal between Boston cops and Irish mobsters, The Departed, a loose remake of the Hong Kong action film Infernal Affairs, represented a new personal best for Scorsese. The director's previous best was 1991's Cape Fear, which debuted at number one in November 1991 with $10.2 million and ended up grossing $79.1 million.

At 3,017 sites, the R-rated Warner Bros. film averaged $8,954 per screen, best among all movies in wide release.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations, credited studio marketers who placed "the pedigree of the movie front and center" for the film's success.

"It's a well-deserved number one," he said, noting the movie is powered by the talents of "four major stars and a legendary director," has garnered generally good reviews and is positioned for an Oscar run.

While finishing a distant second, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning carved up a nice slice of the box office with $19.1 million.

The R-rated prequel, which showed the formative years of the power-tool-friendly psycho, had a solid body count, averaging $6,791 at 2,280 locations. Still, the New Line entry didn't outgross (moneywise, that is) the 2003 remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which whirred in with $28 million and eventually tallied $80.1 million, and with Halloween approaching, Leatherface is going to get some scary competition with both The Grudge 2 and Saw III opening soon.

Meanwhile, the weekend third major newcomer, Simpson's Employee of the Month, was a bust. The nominal comedy, costarring Dane Cook, finished in fourth with $11.8 million. The PG-13 Lionsgate release averaged just $4,575 at 2,579 locations.

Last week's chart-topper, Open Season, had a strong second weekend, dropping just 32 percent to $16 million in third place. The family-friendly Sony 'toon has hunted up $44.1 million in 10 days.

But a couple other flicks fell flat in week two.

Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher's soggy action drama The Guardian sank 46 percent, down from second to fifth place with $9.6 million to bring its total to $32.3 million. And the nerd comedy School for Scoundrels appears to have completely flunked out, falling 60 percent from fourth to seventh place with $3.4 million for a total of $14 million.

In limited release nothing came close to usurping The Queen. The PG-13 Miramax release, starring Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II, added three sites for a total of eight and averaged a royal $50,125 per theater for $401,000. That's a gain of 229 percent over last week and brings the film's 10-day gross to $634,000.

Finally, Shortbus, an unrated Think Film release, got off to a strong start. Playing at just six screens in the U.S. and Canada, the relationship comedy directed by John Cameron Mitchell averaged $20,108 for $120,650. It will open at 10 more sites next weekend.

Overall, it was another up weekend, with the top 12 movies registering $102 million. That's a gain of 18 percent over last weekend and 16 percent over this time last year.

Here's a rundown of the top-grossing films from Friday to Sunday based on estimates compiled by Exhibitor Relations; final figures are due Monday:

1. The Departed, $27 million
    2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, $19.1 million
    3. Open Season, $16 million
    4. Employee of the Month, $11.8 million
    5. The Guardian, $9.6 million
    6. Jackass: Number Two, $6.4 million
    7. School for Scoundrels, $3.4 million
    8. Gridiron Gang, $2.3 million
    9. Jet Li's Fearless, $2.1 million
    10. The Illusionist, $1.8 million
    -----

6. oooh I can't wait to see this movie!!

7. I can't wait to see this movie! I love Matt Damon!

8. I usually am turned off by remakes or adaptations, because I have yet to see one that is better than the original.

Infernal Affairs (the first one, and the only one of the trilogy worth watching, imo) was such a great movie, which is why I'm hesitant to see The Departed until I read enough positive reviews.

9. This sounds so good! Can't wait to go!

10. We saw it over the weekend and I liked it. The story line is easier to follow than the original, and I thought Leonardo, Mark Walberg, Alex Baldwin and Jack Nicholson are all great in the movie. I actually liked the ending - a nice clean break, no more ridiculous sequal or prequal.

11. Saw it this weekend and thought Leo, Jack and Alec were outstanding!

12. I saw it!

good movie.

13. I love "INFERNAL AFFAIRS"!!! Out of the trilogy, I like the first and the last one best. The second one is like a prequel but it doesn't quite strike a chord with me. The third one has more brainwork and depth involved so that's why I really like the third one whereas the first one has a very good storyline.

I'm very curious to see how the American adaptation will be. From what I know, they're only doing one installment as opposed to the trilogy as the original version has done. Does anyone know who is Mark Walberg's character's HK counterpart?

14. i heard martin scorsese paid 6 million to remake the movie. but yes i watched it over this weekend. i enjoyed it sooo much. it had its funny moments, drama and of course action packed to last minute. i loved ever single character in it. i would even see it for a second time and buy the dvd when it comes out. a definite two thumbs up!!!:heart:

15. It was a great movie and how refreshing because there haven't been many great movies out recently. I think it will win some awards because the acting and directing was great. Leo, Matt, Mark, Nick, Alec and all the actors did an awesome top notch job. I highly recommend this movie. The ending with a bit queintin Tarintinoish, i don't want to ruin it though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice