Books & Music The Day the Music Died, fifty one years ago today.

twinkle.tink

Choose to be happy
O.G.
Sep 19, 2006
Today is the day that 3 talented artists left us all too soon.

Rest in Peace; Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P Richardson.

Last edited:
I sometimes think about how much more amazing music there'd be if these three had survived. RIP

So, true. In one of the articles remembering today, the author noted he doublted we would call Elvis the king today had Holly still been here.

Considering how many artist Holly influenced who knows.

Thanks for posting this. So sad!!!

An older friend of mine actually knew JP Richardson - for years he used to DJ at the radio station her father owned in Beaumont, Texas. She said he was always really nice and very down to earth. Her brother was actually one of the few people present when they exhumed him a couple of years ago. Buddy Holly's widow lives in Dallas and a few years ago she sold a few pieces of memorabilia, I guess to raise some money.

Every year at the Surf Ballroom (last location the guys performed) they host a Winter Dance Party (name of the last concert) commemorating the deaths. Lots of oldies bands and some of the family members of the guys sometimes show up. I'm totally into retro/vintage and would love to go, even just to see the location.

Waylon Jennings was Buddy Holly's bass player and was supposed to be on the plane, but lost a coin toss to JP Richardson. Tommy Allsup (who also lost a coin toss & gave up his seat to Ritchie Valens) later opened a bar called "The Heads Up Saloon" in memory of the coin toss that saved their lives.

Last edited:
ELXMD00Z.jpg

Winter Dance Party poster...and holy smokes, check out the price of tickets!!