Books & Music The Day the Music Died, fifty one years ago today.

1. The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 Early Access is now open to Nordstrom card members! Please support TPF by using this link before shopping the sale. We're also giving away eight $200 gift cards to 8 lucky TPFers during the duration of the NAS! Find out more...
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Today is the day that 3 talented artists left us all too soon.

Rest in Peace; Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P Richardson.

2. :sad:

3. seriously? how sad. :cry:

4. I sometimes think about how much more amazing music there'd be if these three had survived. RIP

5. Same here. Wow...what a loss.

6. So, true. In one of the articles remembering today, the author noted he doublted we would call Elvis the king today had Holly still been here.

Considering how many artist Holly influenced who knows.

7. A lot of people don't know that Don McLean's song American Pie is about the plane crash.

8. thanks for that link Pgal. so so sad.

9. Wow, that was that long ago? :sad:

10. #11 Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    Thanks for posting this. So sad!!!

An older friend of mine actually knew JP Richardson - for years he used to DJ at the radio station her father owned in Beaumont, Texas. She said he was always really nice and very down to earth. Her brother was actually one of the few people present when they exhumed him a couple of years ago. Buddy Holly's widow lives in Dallas and a few years ago she sold a few pieces of memorabilia, I guess to raise some money.

Every year at the Surf Ballroom (last location the guys performed) they host a Winter Dance Party (name of the last concert) commemorating the deaths. Lots of oldies bands and some of the family members of the guys sometimes show up. I'm totally into retro/vintage and would love to go, even just to see the location.

Waylon Jennings was Buddy Holly's bass player and was supposed to be on the plane, but lost a coin toss to JP Richardson. Tommy Allsup (who also lost a coin toss & gave up his seat to Ritchie Valens) later opened a bar called "The Heads Up Saloon" in memory of the coin toss that saved their lives.

11. [​IMG]
    Winter Dance Party poster...and holy smokes, check out the price of tickets!!

12. I like the "Parents invited, no charge" clause. Boy those would have been the days to be an American teenager!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice