The Crown on Netflix

The Thatcher storyline wasn't interesting -- do we really believe they treated her that poorly? I read an article on them appearing dressed for dinner at tea time, but the whole thing seemed overdone.

What castle/building had the mouse?

Reactions: sweetasc6h12o6
The Thatcher storyline wasn't interesting -- do we really believe they treated her that poorly? I read an article on them appearing dressed for dinner at tea time, but the whole thing seemed overdone.

What castle/building had the mouse?

I believe it was at B-Palace.

Reactions: lulilu
I’m just on Episode 4, but I have to say I am really disliking Charles. If that was the intent of the director and the actor, they succeeded.
Funny, I feel for him. There were so many expectations put upon him. I mean, look at that family. Horrid people. Margaret was a piece of work and fairly useless - they're all horrible and inbred.

Not the Queen, I still love the Queen.

I was listening to a podcast with the show-runner and I don't think he disliked Charles at all. They were saying that Charles needed to be loved and so did Diana, they were both so similar. They needed to marry people who could offer them the support and love that both were incapable of offering.

Reactions: RueMonge
It struck me that it was obvious early on that Charles is fundamentally different from the Queen in that he cannot put duty over personal life. If he had made a true effort to love Diana, which is all she appeared to want from him (according to the show), as the Queen advised him to do, then maybe things wouldn’t have gone the way they did. instead he chose to carry on with Camilla.

Maybe that is why the Queen is reluctant to hand over the reins to him.

On the other hand, I don’t think the Queen has ever had to choose between the love of her life and duty. She got to marry the one she wanted. She’s never had to make that sacrifice for duty has she? She’s probably sacrificed a lot of everything else, but not that. So maybe it *was* asking too much of Charles to do that.

Those points are true about Charles...he was put in an impossible situation due to his position. I certainly don’t have the answer...Camilla wasn’t even available to marry him. But to carry on with her in front of Diana...there was no hope ever for their relationship to survive. She did her duty providing the heir and a spare.

As I go further through the episodes I am more and more impressed by the portrayal of Diana...sometimes I even forget it isn’t her...

It struck me that it was obvious early on that Charles is fundamentally different from the Queen in that he cannot put duty over personal life. If he had made a true effort to love Diana, which is all she appeared to want from him (according to the show), as the Queen advised him to do, then maybe things wouldn’t have gone the way they did. instead he chose to carry on with Camilla.

Maybe that is why the Queen is reluctant to hand over the reins to him.

On the other hand, I don’t think the Queen has ever had to choose between the love of her life and duty. She got to marry the one she wanted. She’s never had to make that sacrifice for duty has she? She’s probably sacrificed a lot of everything else, but not that. So maybe it *was* asking too much of Charles to do that.

I agree, she seems to have married the love of her life, but, if reports are true, Phillip cheated. That’s heartbreaking. Yet she continued to do her duty as queen and allow Phillip to fulfill his role. I hope she found happiness in the later years of marriage with him.

I agree, she seems to have married the love of her life, but, if reports are true, Phillip cheated. That’s heartbreaking. Yet she continued to do her duty as queen and allow Phillip to fulfill his role. I hope she found happiness in the later years of marriage with him.
Yes. It appears that they do enjoy each other now. Perhaps she forgave him for the cheating since she could see what a difficult transition he had to go through, being the husband of the monarch.
I still think Charles is more in the wrong for all that happened. As soon as he got married he should know that he ought to be seeking intimacy and support from his spouse, not outside the marriage. I think Diana would have given it to him if he’d let her. She was totally infatuated with him and wanted to be loved by him. Not just loved, but loved by him.

Also, I think Camilla should have put a stop to it once he got married. Why didn’t she? Wouldn’t any self respecting woman?

this season is making me dislike C and C quite a lot.

this season is making me dislike C and C quite a lot.

Seems like there are many others who are disgusted with C&C. The @ClarenceHouse Twitter account turned off comments on posts featuring Camilla.

Reactions: keodi