The Cosmetics Restriction Diet - New York Time

This is not true. Sebaceous glands do not produce more or less oil based on anything that you apply. However, products with alcohol in them will dry your skin out over time. Certain alcohols are present in more products than you realize, including ChapStick!

I agree with this article 100%. Dermatologists love Dove, Cetaphil, and CeraVe for a reason... they work and don't irritate the skin! Using gentle products in combination with a prescription retinoid is my favorite regimen for patients.

Aren't there different kinds of alcohols, though, that are moisturizing? And I agree about those basic moisturizers. I love CeraVe.

And therein lies the money line, the caveat emptor. Any product that really did reduce or eliminate wrinkles (beyond the effect of minimizing the appearance of very fine lines that can be achieved by moisturizing or wetting the skin with just about anything, including water and vegetable oil from the pantry) or perform any of the other various miracles claimed by the various companies, would in fact, be altering the structure and function of the skin, and would therefore not be cosmetics, but medicines, and thus subject to regulation.

Reading your post, Shimmapuff, was like a big blast of fresh air in the face. And you know what's funny? Everything you said is true. I know it's true. And yet I do periodically drop large amounts of $ on skincare products (nothing like as much as I do on makeup, tho, and nothing too crazy - no $500 jars of cream for me). I am coveting the Fresh Creme Ancienne right now. And I recently bought a Perricone product that was costly. Someone needs to get a PhD out of discovering the exact mechanism here (i.e. I know intellectually that X expensive product won't do anything more than cheapo coconut oil or Vaseline, but I feel satisfied and happy to buy it at times, anyway, even with that knowledge). Perhaps the mechanism is 'idiocy'? :biggrin:

I've always felt Vaseline gets a bad rap. When it is -35 and the wind is blowing so hard my eyes are watering and my cheeks are stinging constantly, the ONLY thing that has ever worked to protect my skin from that is Vaseline. Yes, I put that stuff straight on my face some days, and no, it doesnt clog me up or cause breakouts. It works (for me).

Lastly, another thing that makes me chuckle is the fact that my skin looks the best on the extremely humid days during the summer. Because it's humid enough I don't feel dry and don't have to use any products - just splash with cool water and dry with a towel. My skin never, never looks as glowy and plump as it does on those awful sweaty days.

Thanks for posting, OP. Great article, and a nice antidote to the "will give your 95 year old self the skin of a toddler!" claims.

I agree with the notion that "less is more" when it comes to skin care.

Your money should be spend on products with actives in it (sunscreen, retinol, AHA/BHA) and even then you can get those for under $40. Cleansers and moisturizers just need to be basic and gentle and could probably be found for under $10.

I once saw a dermatologist give a lecture and she said that she could treat almost any skin condition using only two ingredients: vaseline and alcohol. She said if it is wet or oily, use the alcohol to dry it, and if it is dry, use the vaseline.
My daughters use chapstick and they think that it is addicting. The more you use it the more you need it. Part of the problem is in using flavored chapstick because it encourages you to eat it off. I use vaseline on my lips and I couldn't live without it. I don't think I am dependent on it because I have had dry lips all my life. As long as I use the vaseline, they never chap.
I don't think that moisturizing too much will make your body dependent on oils. I think that if you use something drying on your skin, your body might make more oil to compensate. I think this is true with washing your hair. If you wash your hair everyday and then skip a day, your hair will be oily, but if you wash it only every 3 days, it lasts that long. There is a thread about people who have given up shampoo totally. They just use conditioner whenever they would normally wash their hair, and it never gets too oily or smelly. I keep thinking about trying it.
I got hives once and the doctor recommended Dove soap. I have been using it ever since. I like to use facial scrubs because I like the way they feel.
I read an article once that said that the best products to buy are drugstore items from major brands. The reasoning was that giant companies like L'oreal and Olay have huge research departments and more money to spend on development than small companies, so they are more likely to develop products that work well.

Aren't there different kinds of alcohols, though, that are moisturizing? And I agree about those basic moisturizers. I love CeraVe.

Cetyl alcohol and the fatty alcohols are moisturizing. Unfortunately, a lot of products have the lower molecular weight alcohols in them to decrease the "heavy" feeling of the product and help it absorb/evaporate.

Isn't CeraVe awesome?! :smile:

I can't believe that one derm doesn't think you need moisturizer unless you live in the Arctic. Without moisturizer, my face would be a dry, flaky mess in the winter!

I do need to incorporate the "less is more" approach into my routine though. I use way too many products and my poor skin is probably on overload.

I'm surprised the derms in the article didn't include Retin-A in their essential products. Isn't it like the gold standard for wrinkles? Cleanser and sunscreen alone will not prevent aging (although sunscreen will help a lot).

^ I know, right! I dont live in the arctic but I live in Canada (enough said haha). I dont live near the ocean, therefore its not humid at all. Where I live we have very dry and cold winters. Its also very windy. My hands and face DO get dry lol. And anyone who has moved here, even from southern Ontario gets dry skin and dry mouth.. so I dont feel I need to justify needing moisturizer.

I've always felt Vaseline gets a bad rap. When it is -35 and the wind is blowing so hard my eyes are watering and my cheeks are stinging constantly, the ONLY thing that has ever worked to protect my skin from that is Vaseline. Yes, I put that stuff straight on my face some days, and no, it doesnt clog me up or cause breakouts. It works (for me).

Agreed! While I never heard it really getting a bad rep, I know it doesnt get as much recognition as it should. One tub of Vaseline or Petrolium Jelly is cheap, lasts you a long time and does wonders. I got all these "fancy" lotions for my baby.. I skip them and go straight to the pet jelly. If you have dry feet, you just load it up, put on socks overnight and your feet are nice and smooth. I never knew any fancy or expensive foot lotion to do that no matter how many times I use it. A+ for jelly.

one of the reasons mens skin feels so smooth is that shaving exfoliates

all the dead skin ....lucky them right!!

Shaving dries out my skin.

Cetyl alcohol and the fatty alcohols are moisturizing. Unfortunately, a lot of products have the lower molecular weight alcohols in them to decrease the "heavy" feeling of the product and help it absorb/evaporate.

Isn't CeraVe awesome?! :smile:

Yes, it is one of the best, and inexpensive, too!

So there was a Dior serum I had looked into, and it contains the drying kind of alcohol (Dior Capture One). It has amazing reviews, but does its ingredients counteract the drying alcohol? Is that even possible? I was so surprised to see such a known drying and irritating ingredient used in a big name brand.

I dunno, being a cosmetics junkie aside, I have to disagree.

I had acne scarring, deep and pigmented, which over the course of a few months, all but got rid of with consistent use of acids and copper peptides.

This wouldn't have transpired with just a cleanser, sunblock and moisturizer trinity.

Retin-A and chemical peels speed the removal of old skin and encourage the growth of new skin. I have seen people get fantastic results. What I can't find out, though, is if there is a downside. What if you can only create so many layers of skin in your life? If you speed up the process, are you going to reach a point where it won't work anymore and you will become prematurely wrinkled?

Although i have lots of products, I don't use them regularly, I actually only use a gentle sulfate-free face wash every other day and in between I'll use an alcohol-free toner. I rarely use facial scrubs, but will do so after a makeup-heavy night. I noticed my skin has gotten smoother/softer.