The Chew - September ABC (Carla Hall will be a host)

Ahh, NOT good...

Soapnet is owned by ABC and it's cancellation was announced before the cancellations of AMC and OLTL, altho it has received a "stay of execution" and won't be going off the air in January as originally announced (a new date hasn't been announced yet I don't think)

I wish someone else (outside of ABC) would start up their own soap network and air repeats of old shows that have gone off the air -- there are so many of them! If it were handled properly and stayed true to the soap opera genre, there are so many programming options available to fill an entire network.

I also think that if ABC had thrown even half of the money that they threw into promoting THE CHEW (ads during every single commercial break throughout the day and again on Soapnet) into promoting AMC and OLTL (and even GH) that maybe the shows would have gotten more attention and ratings may have gone up). As quickly as THE CHEW (and THE REVOLUTION) were announced and ads were up and running (I think they started showing commercials for THE CHEW back in June!), they had to have been in the works for months before the cancellations were announced. All the while they were denying it and assuring the cast and crew and viewers that their shows were safe. Then the rug was pulled out from under everyone when their cancellations were announced with replacement shows already in place.

And this is not only a shame for fans of soap -- there are hundreds of actors, crew members and employees behind the scenes that are now out of jobs. So while THE CHEW may cost a lot less to produce and they don't need half the ratings that AMC or OLTL would need in order to generate a profit, the cost of putting that show on the air in place of the soaps is far more than anyone could have imagined.

does this REALLY surprise anyone??

The Chew continues to lose steam as ratings down over last few days!

New ABC daytime talk show The Chew, hosted by Mario Batali, Carla Hall, ******* Kelly, Daphne Oz and Michael Symon, which this week replaced the 41-year old soap opera All My Children has faltered in the ratings over the last few days. Monday’s show saw The Chew doing well for its debut, but according to media experts this have taken a downward turn.

TVMediaInsight.com is reporting that “based on the 56 metered markets, day three of The Chew (Wednesday) the series dipped to a 1.8 rating/6 share in the overnights based on Nielsen Media Research. Comparably, that was a loss of 36 percent in rating and three share points from the lead-in average (2.9/ 9, which is a combination of syndicated programming and local news) and 14 percent in rating and one share point from All My Children one year earlier (2.1/ 7 in Sept. 2010).

The Chew averaged a 1.8 rating/6 share on Tuesday, which declined by14 in households and one share point from Monday’s 2.1/ 7, according to Nielsen Media Research.

For the three telecasts to-date, The Chew is averaging a 2.0/ 6 out of a 2.9/10 for the lead-in. All My Children in Sept. 2010 was a 2.1/ 7. Considering recent ratings for All My Children were at an historical low, this is a very disappointing week one to-date for The Chew.”
source: http://www.michaelfairmansoaps.com/news/the-chew-continues-to-lose-steam-as-ratings-down-over-last-few-days/2011/09/29/

Last week we focused on the metered market household ratings, and addressed how new ABC daytime talker The Chew could not hold the lead-in and year-ago time period averages. Nor could it maintain former overnight time period levels for All My Children. Looking at the demographics for The Chew, today we focused on the target women 18-49 and 25-54 audience based on the 24 Local People Meter markets from Nielsen Media Research.

Six telecasts to-date (Monday, Sept. 26 through Monday, Oct. 3), The Chew is averaging a 0.9 rating/6 share among women 18-49 out of a 0.8/ 6 for the lead-in (which is a combination of first-run syndicated programming, mainly Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and local news). The year-ago (Oct. 2010) time period average for All My Children was a 1.1/ 7. That is a loss of 18 percent in rating, with a flat performance from the lead-in. Among women 25-54, The Chew is averaging a 1.1 rating/7 share out of a 1.2/ 8 for the lead-in average. All My Children in Oct. 2010 averaged a 1.5/ 9 in the demo. Comparably, The Chew among women 25-54 is down by eight percent from the lead-in and a hefty 27 percent from All My Children one year earlier.

Later this week will be a total viewer update for The Chew.
source: http://www.tvmediainsights.com/2011/10/continued-erosion-for-abc%E2%80%99s-the-chew-2/

Too funny. Probably a lot of people tuned in either because they were behind and did not know AMC was gone (seriously I know people who tune in occasionally to catch up and did not know it was cancelled) or just simply curiosity. I know if the Chew gets cancelled it will not bring AMC back but I would still be doing a happy dance as this would be evidence that cancelling AMC for this show was a badly thought out decision on the part of ABC daytime.

If this were a prime-time show, it would have already been canceled. Look what happened to The Playboy Club. I recall other new shows (in prime-time) that were canceled after only a few episodes. I know daytime TV has different standards and rating requirements, but it's pretty obvious THE CHEW is a sinking ship and there's not much that they can do to fix that

the one bad thing about this is that it's the lead-in to OLTL and while I know OLTL has it's faithful fans and it's cancellation has already been announced, these poor ratings for THE CHEW have got to be affecting OLTL

If this were a prime-time show, it would have already been canceled. Look what happened to The Playboy Club. I recall other new shows (in prime-time) that were canceled after only a few episodes. I know daytime TV has different standards and rating requirements, but it's pretty obvious THE CHEW is a sinking ship and there's not much that they can do to fix that

the one bad thing about this is that it's the lead-in to OLTL and while I know OLTL has it's faithful fans and it's cancellation has already been announced, these poor ratings for THE CHEW have got to be affecting OLTL

Its fate is already sealed. If it does lose fans cause of the Chew, they'll blame that people lost interest in OLTL. Probably put the Chew before OLTL trying to get those fans. Which is why Whitney is still there, (its awful!) surrounded by Thursdays' comedy.
Everybody is doing the cooking shows, enough already.
Wondering if this was Babawawa's idea?

So true! They probably will not cancel this right away because that will be saying Brian Frons, president of ABC Daytime screwed up....his giant ego is at stake. They will keep spending $$$ promoting this show and keep it on til it has only 10 viewers, before he admits that

:woohoo::yahoo::woohoo::yahoo::wlae::dothewave::

Me doing the happy dance. I'm sure they won't cancel it. but sure glad their ratings suck!!!!!

I agree!!! I hope the Chew eats iself right in to cancellation. I mean come on what kind of name is The CHEW anyway??? Its gross! Reminds me of already been chewed food :throwup:

I have never watched even 1 second of this show in protest of taking off my soaps. Its a dumb show, and who needs another one of these View copy cats.

I mean the Talk is lame too. I only watch for Sharon Osbourne. But even that they took off Holly and Lea already. They need to realize that these View copycats are boring and no one wants more of these shows.

I also agree that if Soapnet was done right it could be a huge hit. I am so dying to watch Knots Landing, old Melrose Place, Dallas, its not even funny. Why cant they just be a Soap channel?? Why do they have to repeat GH and the others 3X a day? Why cant we see Melrose, Dallas etc.???!!!

I wish I was the head of the Soapnet, I would have that network in shape in no time.

I agree!!! I hope the Chew eats iself right in to cancellation. I mean come on what kind of name is The CHEW anyway??? Its gross! Reminds me of already been chewed food :throwup:
I said basically the same thing earlier this thread... it's just NOT a clever title.

[/QUOTE]I mean the Talk is lame too. I only watch for Sharon Osbourne. But even that they took off Holly and Lea already. They need to realize that these View copycats are boring and no one wants more of these shows. [/QUOTE]

I stopped watching it when they got rid of Holly and Leah.

Just came back from the taping of today's Chew episode..it was so much fun! All the hosts were super nice and it was just a great fun environment! After the show, Mario walked out with us, got on his vespa and left...he's so nice! During the show they played a clip from this week's SNL episode where they referenced Mario in the weekend update...LOL!

Will be posting some pics I took soon...

Here are some pics from the taping today....so much fun! I love *******!

Daphne and Carla:
picture.php

The Set:
picture.php

*******:
picture.php