The "Boutique Experience" in the eyes of a 9 yr old boy!

India

O.G.
Aug 30, 2007
The younger of my two grandsons who live in my town, was 9 in early Aug. I wanted to give him a new bike for his birthday at that time - bike store said he was still a tad small for the bigger size even though his present bike was a bit small.

So, 2 days before Christmas, I called the boys and had the elder boy 11 1/2, to measure his younger brother for height and inseam to the floor. Told him I'd found a pair of dress pants on sale and needed these measurements.

With measurements in hand, I went back to the store and asked if he was now big enough - he'd grown over an inch in less than 5 months. Yes, he would fit! I didn't want to mess with the logistics of hiding a bike, even for 2 days, and having to transport it to his house Xmas morn, so I printed out a picture of the bike from the Trek web site, folded it up and wrapped it in Xmas paper. I wrote on the picture that I would take him to the store Mon AM to choose his color and get his new bike.

Being 2 1/2 years younger than his older brother, his two previous bikes had been hand-me-downs. He did not appear to mind at the time and always appeared pleased with them.

Xmas morning when he opened the paper, he was astounded - just kept asking if he was getting the bike in the picture and would it REALLY be tomorrow. He was over the moon! The next morning, he called me at 9:30 to find out what time the store opened - I said at 10AM. He said he wanted to be there then. I said that was up to Daddy as he had to come with the bike rack on his car- he yelled for his father to get up immediately.

So, at 10, we were at the store and he chose his color and the SA started explaining how to use the 21 gears. I suggested a test ride in the parking lot and off we went. He took to it immediately and rode it like a pro, grinning from ear to ear. We came back into the store and they did the servicing of the bike while we waited.

Then, he said something that totally cracked me up: he said "This is totally different than when I got Henry's old bikes. This is just the best as now I got to have the "bike store experience"! All I could think of was tpf ladies going on about the joys of having the "bourtique experience" and how special it is!

Where he came up with that expession, I have no idea! He sure never heard anything like that from me or from my daughter!

Just had to share this with you - thought it was a hoot! Perhaps someday, he'll want his wife to have the "boutique experience" and will buy her an Hermes bag!

we can totally relate! there is no sensation that compares with purchasing from the "bike store" (hey, hermes sells a bike!) the smell of the leather, the displays, the knowledge and expertise of our SA, and having your new purchase to haul home with you then and there; bar none to even the best bargain of online stores!

Ohhhh, this is so cute! What a darling sweetheart he is!

He is, of course, totally right too. Nothing beats the "boutique experience". No matter what brand it is.

What a lovely story!! :hbeat: And lol, I think we can all relate to that story with our precious H bags. :amuse:
Dear India, you really sound like the sweetest grand mom for those boys!

The younger of my two grandsons who live in my town, was 9 in early Aug. I wanted to give him a new bike for his birthday at that time - bike store said he was still a tad small for the bigger size even though his present bike was a bit small.

So, 2 days before Christmas, I called the boys and had the elder boy 11 1/2, to measure his younger brother for height and inseam to the floor. Told him I'd found a pair of dress pants on sale and needed these measurements.

With measurements in hand, I went back to the store and asked if he was now big enough - he'd grown over an inch in less than 5 months. Yes, he would fit! I didn't want to mess with the logistics of hiding a bike, even for 2 days, and having to transport it to his house Xmas morn, so I printed out a picture of the bike from the Trek web site, folded it up and wrapped it in Xmas paper. I wrote on the picture that I would take him to the store Mon AM to choose his color and get his new bike.

Being 2 1/2 years younger than his older brother, his two previous bikes had been hand-me-downs. He did not appear to mind at the time and always appeared pleased with them.

Xmas morning when he opened the paper, he was astounded - just kept asking if he was getting the bike in the picture and would it REALLY be tomorrow. He was over the moon! The next morning, he called me at 9:30 to find out what time the store opened - I said at 10AM. He said he wanted to be there then. I said that was up to Daddy as he had to come with the bike rack on his car- he yelled for his father to get up immediately.

So, at 10, we were at the store and he chose his color and the SA started explaining how to use the 21 gears. I suggested a test ride in the parking lot and off we went. He took to it immediately and rode it like a pro, grinning from ear to ear. We came back into the store and they did the servicing of the bike while we waited.

Then, he said something that totally cracked me up: he said "This is totally different than when I got Henry's old bikes. This is just the best as now I got to have the "bike store experience"! All I could think of was tpf ladies going on about the joys of having the "bourtique experience" and how special it is!

Where he came up with that expession, I have no idea! He sure never heard anything like that from me or from my daughter!

Just had to share this with you - thought it was a hoot! Perhaps someday, he'll want his wife to have the "boutique experience" and will buy her an Hermes bag!

Hmmm... He better start saving from now!!!!:P

Cute story! Going to a store and seeing/trying on something before you purcahse it is completely different from making an online purchase! That's the essence of shopping, IMO.

oh wow!! such a lovely story...

i would not swap my fairytale "boutique story" at H, when i found my Birkin, for anything else.

it was truly a great feeling, and if your grandson is anything like me, he will cherish that memory for a lifetime as there is nothing quite like your 'first'

nice job grandma!!

India, thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. At the end of the day, family treasures like this are what truly matter. I am so happy he loved his gift. I hope your holidays were filled with joy!

Wow, such a nice story! You are a terrific grandma!

Having gone the eBay versus the boutique route, I have to agree that nothing compares to the special feeling you get when you are looking at and holding your bike, um, I mean bag:smile: and realizing that it will be yours!!!

Thanks for sharing!

This is a lovely story!

I can relate to this first hand, too - my SA at my local bike store is just like my SA at Hermes, too - she makes it a great experience to buy a bike, or even small accessories!!