The Books Thread

A thread after my own heart!

I have read almost all of Robert Heinlein's books. The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is one of his older ones, but still good. My favorite Heinlein book is probably The Number Of The Beast. Friday is a really good one, too.

I took break from reading Shantaram (Gregory David Roberts), to plough through the last Harry Potter book. It was the best one! I highly recommend it!

Some other favorites of mine are:

The Girl Who Sat By The Ashes by Padraic Colum (This is the best version of the Cinderella Story I have ever read.)

Idylls of the King by Tennyson

Leaves Of Grass by Walt Whitman (a compilation of some of his poetry)

Cryptonomicon, Diamond Age, and The Baroque Cycle (a trilogy - vol. I is Quicksilver, vol. II isThe Confusion, and vol. III is System Of The World) all by Neal Stephenson

I have been taking notes on everyone else's suggestions. Thanks for sharing your favorites!

Cheers!
Pippi

Im not sure how many people read biography type books, and this one is kind of raunchy lol. But-"Confessions of a video Vixen" was a great book IMO.

I also loved the mystery fiction-"One Two Buckle My Shoe" by Jessie Hunter.

Right now Im reading "Do You" by Russell Simmons. This one is pretty enlightening so far(Im only on page 40 or so).

BTW-I love this thread! It should be a sticky, or maybe there should be a whole forum dedicated to books!

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Looks boring on the outside, but is honestly the BEST book I have read in a long time. Truly a contemporary classic. It is so powerful and never boring.

that's exactly what i was thinking...boring cover. i should pick mine up and read it.

).BTW-I love this thread! It should be a sticky, or maybe there should be a whole forum dedicated to books!
Yes, please!!!!:heart:

Some of my recent reads:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub
Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman
Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern
Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs

Yes, please!!!!:heart:

Some of my recent reads:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Lost Boy, Lost Girl by Peter Straub
Every Secret Thing by Laura Lippman
Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern
Dry: A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs
I just ordered A Thousand Splendid Suns from Amazon.com. And, I agree, Digging to America was a great book.

Holes by louis sacher is a great book too. it was released as a teen book before it was made into a film. i read it for my book group before it was a film and really enjoyed it.

I just finished Little Chapel by the River by Gwendolyn Bounds. It was absolutely excellent. It's a nonfiction book about the author moving to the small town of Garrison, NY and discovering this small pub that is the lifeblood of the town. It was such a grate book, I've been raving about it to everybody.

I also just finished Austenland by Shannon Hale. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, so I'm a sucker for books based off of her works!

I love The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.

Rocket Boy by Homer Hickam - his autobiographical account of growing up in a coal mining town during the Sputnik age, and striving against all odds to be a rocket scientist. Basis for the movie "October Sky".

Love in a Cold Climate and The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford. Classics.

Love and War in the Apennines, a true account by Eric Newby of his time as a POW in Italy during WWII, his escape, and how he survived.

Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesiger - one of the last, great British adventurerers recounts his travels through the parched desert known as the "Empty Quarter" from 1945 through 1950.

Come, Tell Me How You Live by Agatha Christie Mallowan. After Agatha Christie's unhappy first marriage ended, she met and married a young archaeologist Max Mallowan. They married in 1930 when she was forty and he twenty-six. When Mallowan started excavating on his own, Agatha accompanied him to Iraq and Syria. This is an account of her adventures and how she lived during that time. A really lovely book.

Kim by Rudyard Kipling. Within the first few pages I felt as if I were in beautiful, colorful, pungent India during the Raj.

The Provincal Lady series by E.M. Delafield.

Mapp and Lucia by E.F. Benson

The Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald. Reminds me of the Florida that existed when I was a child.

The Shortest Way to Hades, The Sirens Sang of Murder, Thus Was Adonis Murdered, The Sybil in Her Grave. Witty mysteries - unfortunately no more from this author as she has died.

The Agatha Raisin and Hamish Macbeth series by M.C. Beaton

Wow, sputnik, I think we've got the same taste. I adore Philip Roth and Haruki Murakami, so I'll definitely have to try Siri Hustvedt. :tup:

Right now I'm reading a lot of e.e. cummings and Leonard Cohen, as well as bell hooks' Ain't I A Woman and Out, but Natsuo Kirini.

sputnik & laundry,

i love ishiguro & bell hooks. i really enjoyed hooks' salvation and ishiguro's unconsoled & artist of the floating world.

i'll check out the other authors you both mentioned. thanks!

I just had to post about this book that I'm reading at the moment, it's by Lisa Jewell and it's called '31 Dream Street'.

I've read some of hers before and they were good, just a bit blah kwim? But I got given this new one and I thought hey it's the holidays why not give it a try, even though they title 31 Dream Street I thought was a little cheesy.

I'm now just over three quarters of the way into it and I swear to god I haven't put this book down all day. It's a really great easy to read book and makes a change from the heavier stuff. Just nice to relax to you know?

I won't give it away but basically it's about the life of this poet who shares his house with a few very different people. The stories of their lives are really sweet and charming. I love it.