The Big C on Showtime

I just about bawled my eyes out at the end. I was really liking Marlene. Never saw that one coming. I thought Cathy would take care of her and then Marlene would wind up trying to take care of Cathy. So so sad.

me too. i thought she added a really nice element to the show. wish i knew why they'd have to kill her off like that. oh well. maybe the actress quit, who knows.

I looked for a thread for this show a few weeks ago, but didn't find any.

I love this show, and I loved the relationship between Cathy and Marlene. I was disappointed in the way Marlene was written off. There were so many different story lines that could have been written between Cathy and Marlene, makes you wonder why they ended her part.

I looked for a thread for this show a few weeks ago, but didn't find any.

I love this show, and I loved the relationship between Cathy and Marlene. I was disappointed in the way Marlene was written off. There were so many different story lines that could have been written between Cathy and Marlene, makes you wonder why they ended her part.

I did a search before I started my topic and nothing came up so I just went ahead and started a thread. Sorry if I stepped on any toes!

I did a search before I started my topic and nothing came up so I just went ahead and started a thread. Sorry if I stepped on any toes!

no worries, lee, when i saw your thread, i did a search as well knowing i had started one a few weeks ago, and couldn't find it. it was the weirdest thing.

anyway, glad there are other big C fans out there! i really enjoy the show, but now i wonder if marlene being gone will make the show more dull? i don't know. i liked how cathy had a friend and a confidante in marlene, but of course i guess now that the "cat is out of the bag" with her cancer, who knows where it would have gone? :shrugs:

i guess we'll soon find out.

I really like this show. I love Laura Linney. I think they've created an interesting scenario with this show.

I can understand why Cathy doesn't want to tell her family. Once she tells someone, she becomes "the woman who is dying" & she has to deal with their emotions (or lack thereof) in addition to her own. Sometimes, it's nice just to feel "normal".

We have someone in our family who is very ill. The person's spouse is exhausted & feels the caregiver gets no attention. The person who is ill tends to take too many chances & does things that are unhealthy in order to make the other people in the family feel normal. It's a weird myriad of guilt, fear, anger, sadness, exhaustion, optimism, pessimism, etc. It's never easy.

I thought the woman in Paul's office gave a poignant speech on her role as caretaker to her husband dying from cancer.

I don't think the actress who played Marlene quit. I think the writers probably had a certain character arc in mind for her through the season and knew it'd end with her death. I felt a bit cheated when she did die though, like Marlene had become some kind of plot device.

I think, though, that once Cathy finally told Paul that she had cancer, Marlene's character wasn't "needed" as much. She wasn't the only character who knew of Cathy's secret now. And now that Paul knows, it's time for Cathy to focus more on herself and her family. I think Marlene helped Cathy as much she could, and her death in some way, pushed Cathy's character forward more. Still couldn't believe it, and really will miss her.

And I'm sure the actress playing Marlene will miss her too -- what an amazing role!

Well I was kinda let down with that finale. I think Marlene's suicide would have made a better finale. Anyway, how cute and fun was her funeral. Loved the scratch off tickets and the polka music. I used to tell my friends that when I died at some point during my viewing the "Y.M.C.A." would come on obnoxiously loud and EVERYONE would have to do it. If anyone refused to do it the song would just keep on playing until everyone did it..lol. I also told them I wanted a ginormous purple gown. It has to be so freaking big and fluffy that it would be a struggle to close my casket...lol

I watched it a second time tonight and I noticed something. Cathy was the only one wearing white at Marlene's funeral. Every had a dark color on except for her. I wonder if there's any significance to that. Also, I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't be able to stand in my kitchen and talk to my NAKED adult brother. That was a wee bit disturbing..lol.

Her son breaking down and crying in the storage unit had me crying. It was just so sweet that she bought all of those "future" presents for him. It was such a touching scene.

Marlene's daughters were nasty with a capital N. Dumping the fish on the lawn??? Taking Thomas to the pound?? Not seeing the significance of Marlene saving the house the one daughter made in second grade?? They wanted to tear down the house their father built?? What a bunch of jerks (can't type what I really want to say..lol)

I must say...I thought this series was going to disappoint me a lot but I'm really enjoying it. I'm missing Gabourney Sidibe's character though. She brought comic relief to the show but I guess these last 2 episodes really didn't need comedy. I like how it's about a conscious journey to the end we all face in one way or another. I love the way Cathy is doing things. Nothing but chocolate and booze for supper. I also loved what she said in the first episode to the contractor putting in the pool.... that she has loyalty to no one and if he didn't want the job she'd just find someone else to do it..that had me cracking up. Her telling Marlene off the first time was really funny too.

Now I just have to wait for United States of Tara to start up again in March or find another decent series to get into otherwise it's gonna be a long cold winter..lol

I thought the season was really good. I loved Marlene's character but she went out on her own terms, exactly like I thought she would. My grandmother is dealing with advancing Alzheimers now and I can see how Marlene would not want to live through that. It's debilitating on so many levels.

I thought that Cathy's son was a little sh** all season and he changed my opinion of him in the storage unit. I BALLED with him! I think he is going to completely change in season 2.

I am glad she is fighting and I am anxious to see where they take it in season 2.

i completely forgot that last night was the finale, so imagine my disapointment with that cliffhanger of an ending and not get any previews was quite a shock.

what are your thoughts to the very ending while she was in the pool watching marlene dancing? it couldn't have meant she died, right? i heard they renewed the series for a second season, so i can't imagine they would devote it to her being dead, kwim?

i imagine it was just some sort of dream she was experiencing, but if that was the case, i'm not sure i was happy with the ending.

either way, i have enjoyed this show and i'm happy to hear that it'll be coming back for a second season.

i knew once marlene's daughters told her that she left her the house she would end up giving it to sean (the brother), especially now with cynthia nixon's character being pregnant.

could be interesting.

can't wait.

yes, it was a dream. i thought it was really beautiful. i don't think they could give a concrete ending considering what's going on with cathy, but i really felt like she went through an incredible journey this scene. (not to sound too cheesy! haha.) can't wait for the second season too.