The beating our processed hair undergoes!

It really sounds more like something chemical going on than a heat related cause to me. My colorist mentioned once that is what happens when overprocessing occurs....the hair gets all gooey and elastic/stretchy like that...much like a melting effect. Does she just touch up the roots or highlight all over every time? You might have to get a few inches taken off to get rid of the damage. And I would go to another colorist for a consultation and see what they think may have happened. Good luck....
I agree with this. It happens when over-processed. This happened to me at a salon several years ago. The ends were snapping off like rubber bands. Horrible colorist.I agree you should cut a couple of inches off.
Condition like crazy, leave some K-Pak on your head overnight. The shampoo & deep conditioner are good.

It really sounds more like something chemical going on than a heat related cause to me. My colorist mentioned once that is what happens when overprocessing occurs....the hair gets all gooey and elastic/stretchy like that...much like a melting effect. Does she just touch up the roots or highlight all over every time? You might have to get a few inches taken off to get rid of the damage. And I would go to another colorist for a consultation and see what they think may have happened. Good luck....

Thank you, you are the only one who answered my question to my post!!!! My hair is a complete mess. I agree she let the highlights stay in too long, creating the mess I am not left with. At first I was blaming myself with the ironing, but NO this is not from Ironing.. Ive been doing that for years, NEVER saw this mess before. This is from her carelessness. The ends of the hair where highlighted are stretchy and pulling off.. gross.. I am calling on Tuesday when they open again and giving her the hell she deserves then am changing my HS. Highlighting is over for me..

I really feel for you...damaged hair because of someone elses mistake is the worst. :cursing: I had been highlighting mine for years with only minimal breakage, but then I tried a new colorist who overlapped and used a too high volume for lift. I ended up with similar damage and not just on the ends...up higher near the roots. That happened two years ago this coming December, and I'm still growing out/dealing with that trauma. I finally quit highlighting all together after that and only do color now with frequent trims. Good luck with this....keep us posted.

Just curious...was your stylist aware of the damage when your hair was rinsed out and before you left the salon? If so, she really should have said something right away and recommended trimming the ends or something. I would demand my money back and an apology.

I iron my hair (can't give that up), root touch up for some grays, and highlight it... Do you girls that do this ever notice that the ends take a beating? I noticed today when I got a highlight that my ends were all rubbery~elastic and breaking off. My HS does not use a lot of bleach, she does a very dark caramel, so it wasn't that it was over processed. I think its just from the iron and such that is killing the ends.. What am I to do? And does this happen to anyone else.

I do the same as you along with getting it thermally straightened twice a year. i don't iron for straightness so much as for turning the ends under.
About the only thing you can do is to get frequent trims of the hair that is damaged. There is a term called "chemical haircut" which describes the melting as you call it. I can really empathize with you because I LOVE my highlights but I make sure I listen to my stylist and not beg to
go lighter (higher lift) than my hair can take. Oh to be born with sun kissed straight hair LOL.

When ever you go for a color just have your ends cut thats what i do...coloring your hair makes the ends even more dry from all the chemicals.

She should have dyed your hair, given you a deep conditioning treatment and cut a teeny bit of your ends.

You should also buy a conditioning treatment for you to do at home...also don't shampoo a lot.

Sometimes it's best just to trim those rebel ends off. I just had my very dark hair slightly bleached for it to take a red and I'm having the same problem. I'm cutting off an inch after I colour it red.

Chemical haircut .. yup thats it.. Actually its holding up. I bought Redkin Extreme and conditioner and Anti snap. When wet its a rubber band, once dried its fine... go figure.. but I am glad that you all have heard of this... I was starting to think there this was only happening to me. Tomorrow I am calling her, she needs to know this happened to me.. and this can't happen again to someone else. I like the way she cuts.. so am undecided what to do about leaving.. but as far as color.. NEVER AGAIN! What do you all think?