The beating our processed hair undergoes!

shoegal27

sunglass addict
Sep 9, 2007
In my own world
I iron my hair (can't give that up), root touch up for some grays, and highlight it... Do you girls that do this ever notice that the ends take a beating? I noticed today when I got a highlight that my ends were all rubbery~elastic and breaking off. My HS does not use a lot of bleach, she does a very dark caramel, so it wasn't that it was over processed. I think its just from the iron and such that is killing the ends.. What am I to do? And does this happen to anyone else.

ChristyR143

Really?
O.G.
Aug 7, 2007
Texas
If you aren't already, try using a heat protectant spray for when you iron it, and also, a deep condition weekly.

Melissa71

O.G.
Jan 19, 2006
Illinois
Ouch! What brand iron are you using, and are you using a heat protectant before you iron? My ends are a bit fried, and it's my own stupid fault. I used a new hair color, and it turned out to be JET BLACK. LOL My son was calling me "Goth-Mom." So it was pretty awful. So, I tried to fix it with color-oops. It worked great initially, but then the color came back. :shrugs: Not sure how that works, it was the weirdest thing ever! So, as per directions on the box, I used it a 2nd time. It really burned out my hair, my HS had to chop off 3 inches. :cry:
But, before I did all the stupid over treating, I did the same things you did, but didn't have any major breakage or "crispy" ends. Maybe if you use a good heat protectant, a leave in conditioner, and deep condition every week or so, it'll help. I use a GHD iron, and have had (until now,lol) very little damage using it.

shoegal27

sunglass addict
Sep 9, 2007
In my own world
I do that.. but can you recommend a good one to use for both the heat protectant spray and deep condition?

Also, how do you ladies color your hair as in highlights and not have damage? I always have some sort of damage from it.

cosmogrl5

O.G.
Mar 8, 2007
I was a slave to the flat iron for years, but gave it up a few months ago after deciding to embrace my curls. It had started to cause breakage and dryness. I am STILL working to repair it.

shoegal27

sunglass addict
Sep 9, 2007
In my own world
Yes I know it is bad but I love the way my hair looks straight. I need it. LOL.. I am convinced what happened to my hair today was due to that iron, not overprocessing. When my hair was washed and conditoned at the salon.. the ends were just melting off.. like elastic pulling.. so icky. But my ends are so damaged even without color.

Tracy

shallowly obsessing
O.G.
Sep 30, 2007
I iron my hair (can't give that up), root touch up for some grays, and highlight it... Do you girls that do this ever notice that the ends take a beating? I noticed today when I got a highlight that my ends were all rubbery~elastic and breaking off. My HS does not use a lot of bleach, she does a very dark caramel, so it wasn't that it was over processed. I think its just from the iron and such that is killing the ends.. What am I to do? And does this happen to anyone else.
is your natural hair color dark? if it is, to lighten your hair even a little, the dark color must be totally 'lifted' in other words bleached.
and how long has it been since your last trim? that may factor into it.

my hair recently started breaking from my beloved GHD iron---i was going too fast and being really rough. so, i've been wearing it curly more often. i know what you mean about having to have it straight---i love mine straight too, it's more 'me'.

Tracy

shallowly obsessing
O.G.
Sep 30, 2007
oh, also, i've been using a pantene moisturizing hair mask and a neutrogena triple moisture one.

shoegal27

sunglass addict
Sep 9, 2007
In my own world
I guess you're right. I guess the ends are just so weak from the iron and all, the bleach from the highlights just melted the off. eeeeeek.
How can I avoid this, I love my iron and I love my highlights?
I use Redkin and Biologe.. and all good products. My only vices are the iron and the bleach.

MonkeyGirl

♥In your eyes♥
Dec 29, 2007
Waiting for July!!!
yes split ends happen to mostly everyone who uses a flat iron (unless they are extremely lucky). i actually got my hair done today and my stylist told me not to use the iron anymore unless it is a special occasion (i have zero of those most of the time) :cry:. i wish there was a way that you could iron hair without it being hot! :P

talexs

I Love It!!!!!
Jun 29, 2008
always in the office :(
Oh gosh, this is awful. I have super fine hair that I highlight and lowlight on a regular basis and have so far, knock on wood, not had too many split end problems. (Not to say I don't have them, but they aren't too terrible looking.) I don't flat rion my hair but I do blowdry on a daily basis, my suggestions would be deep conditioning whenever possible, and even sleeping with deep conditioner and a plastic shower cap on if you can- I was amazed by the difference- also I have to agree with everyone else as far as a heat protectant spray goes. Good Luck!

T0TEMAMA!

fashionista
Jun 9, 2008
in the mall
I basically flat iron my hair everyday, but I use flat iron protectant spray and I deep condition every day.
My hair still looks very healthy.

Odette

<3 life
O.G.
Aug 20, 2007
www.twitter.com
I color my hair every 6 weeks and I find that if I'm going to wear my hair straight that day, I use smoothing shampoo and deep conditioner, use heat protectant spray, seal the ends with a silicone serum, and straighten as much as I can with my blow dryer and a brush. It really does help to have a good blow-dryer with an attachment that forces the air down the hair shaft for a smoother look. I then just have to do some touch-up with the flat iron.

I use:
Matrix Sleek Look Shampoo, Conditioner, and Iron Smoother spray
Biosilk serum and smoothing balm
T3 Pro Hairdryer