The Battle of the Blues

hbr

O.G.
Dec 6, 2007
Hello friends!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-loved Bleu Royale box K28 Sellier. My hesitation is due to a couple issues:

1- I've never seen this color in person and I've searched the forum looking for comparison shots between this and Blue Marine and other dark blues, with not much luck. The bag is not located near my home so looking at it in person isn't an option. For those of you who know this color, I would love any and all input! I'm not looking for a bright blue or even a medium tone- I'd like a true navy or as close to it as possible.

2- I also have a K32 in Colvert and although these two bags are very different in how they would be used, a part of me is wondering of its redundant to have two Kelly bags in the same color family?! Colvert is definitely a chameleon and does have a green undertone. Plus the size and leather (togo) make it a bit more casual vs. the sellier style of the K28.

I would really appreciate all your input and if anyone has a bag in Bleu Royale box calf, PLEASE share photos!

Thank you and Happy Spring!

I saw the bag you're thinking of and it's gorgeous but it looks to be a brighter blue than navy. I haven't heard of Bleu Royale. I would suggest checking with @bababebi who knows Box Calf colors so well.
How accurate is the reseller about Hermès in general?
All that said, if you can get comfortable with the color, I do not think it is at all duplicative of a grained leather Colvert bag in a different size.

Reactions: totesmcgoats
I saw the bag you're thinking of and it's gorgeous but it looks to be a brighter blue than navy. I haven't heard of Bleu Royale. I would suggest checking with @bababebi who knows Box Calf colors so well.
How accurate is the reseller about Hermès in general?
All that said, if you can get comfortable with the color, I do not think it is at all duplicative of a grained leather Colvert bag in a different size.

Thank you for your feedback, QF. I’ve never purchased from this seller but they appear to be pretty accurate about their Hermès offerings. How would you suggest I contact Bababebi and ask for her opinion?

When I asked the seller which photo accurately shows the color as it appears in person, she told me it’s the second of the two I posted.

I had always heard that Blue Royal was truly royal blue, not navy, so your question made me curious. A quick Google search yielded this pic from 1stDibs and a pretty detailed description from the Bag Hag Diaries. From what I can see, Blue Royal is STUNNING, but not what you want if you’re looking for Navy.

https://thebaghagdiaries.com/more-blues-at-hermes/

View attachment 4408610

Thank you! This color looks completely different than the photos I posted! I wonder if the seller gave me the wrong color name?

I had always heard that Blue Royal was truly royal blue, not navy, so your question made me curious. A quick Google search yielded this pic from 1stDibs and a pretty detailed description from the Bag Hag Diaries. From what I can see, Blue Royal is STUNNING, but not what you want if you’re looking for Navy.

https://thebaghagdiaries.com/more-blues-at-hermes/

View attachment 4408610
I’m actually wondering if H has a blue “royal” and a different blue “royale.” I have a calvi in blue royal which is a true and saturated blue with no shades of navy and looks like the Kelly you posted but nothing like the OP’s pictures.

I’m actually wondering if H has a blue “royal” and a different blue “royale.” I have a calvi in blue royal which is a true and saturated blue with no shades of navy and looks like the Kelly you posted but nothing like the OP’s pictures.

Some blues photograph darker than IRL — my Blue Sapphire Evie can photograph a dark navy in the shade, but it’s not that at all IRL. This is why we need @bababebi to chime in!

Now I’m wondering if the seller is just using the word “royal” to describe the shade of blue rather that it being the actual name of the Hermès color?!

Do you mean Bleu Roi? Different, that is King’s Blue.