The Basic, Black Interview Suit

May 1, 2006
Hi All,

So (unfortunately) I will have to start again in the job interviewing process. The suit I haven't worn in four years no longer fits (after losing 30 pounds and being 5 feet tall!), so it's time to buy another suit.

Any recommendations as to where to go, what to buy? I don't want to spend a crazy amount of money, but need it to fit very well and be of great quality.

I was thinking a Calvin Klein suit at Nordstrom Rack (where they can also alter it), but have no idea. My last suit came from Express (but I was in college then and it was on sale!).

Thanks!

I love Calvin Klein Collection.
His regular line is just ok. There are cheaper alternatives as well. I think you just need to spend a good day or two shopping in person so that you can try the suits on :yes: good luck!

Try Ann Taylor. The price range is accessible and they also have a petite section.

IMHO, you should get the suit tailored. As a petite girl, myself, tailoring is the only way to get a proper fit. A nice, well fitted suit will boost your confidence.

i'm very petite too and have struggled to find a great suit. i read good things about theory and tried on a few but i hate how their pants aren't lined. esp for the price. i also recommend BR and AT. i agree with luckycloset that fit is really the most important thing in a suit. if you get a great discount on a suit, spend the money you saved with a good tailor. it's worth it. an ill-fitting suit will make you look unprofessional and feel unprofessional too no matter how great of a deal it was or what brand it is.

I second this since you're petite (especially if you're still in your late 20's/30's). They can get a bit expensive ($300-$500ish) but I've found them to be completely worth it. They were the only brand that as a petite and young looking 28 year old, didn't make me feel like I was wearing my mother's hand-me-down suit. Good luck!

I second the suggestion to try finding a Theory suit (perhaps separates via Ebay)--not because I'm petite myself, but because I stumbled upon a blog written by a super-petite girl that showed all the cute Theory outfits she could wear (much of the time after tailoring). And then if your size changes again and you need to resell, you could probably easily find a petite girl who needs high-end suiting :smile:

Calvin Klein, Ann Taylor, and Banana Republic are all great options. I have lots of suits from them. Macys generally has a good selection at good prices, especially if you can catch a sale or coupon. Tahari's also a great, affordable option but I find their styles are hit or miss; sometimes they look matronly to me.

I suggest buying it in person and not online so you know it generally fits (unless you're fine returning items, in which case no worries). You're short so build in a bit of cost to have items tailored. Skirt/pant hems and sleeve lengths are easily hemmed so if it fits in most other places (bust, shoulders, waist) that's a simple fix. It should be <$20 to tailor either. If you get into bringing in waist, butt, chest, or shoulder seams it'll get pricier up to $100 depending upon how much you need altered, whether it's lined, etc.

I would purchase one versatile suit to meet your interview needs in a black, brown, or navy hue. If you're looking for quality and durability you'll want it to be lined. If it's a two-piece outfit you can mix and match tops to give it different looks.

Best of luck on your interviews!

Also, some stores have free tailoring if you buy in store. I got my first theory suit at nordies and they did full alterations for free. I've had other stores offer the same thing but I can't remember which ones. It's at least worth asking to save a few bucks.

J Crew. Unfortunately their petites are only online, but I find their suiting materials to be far superior to Ann Taylor and Banana Republic at about the same price point.

I would go with Theory or J Crew. I don't ever shop in Ann Taylor, so I can't comment on it, but many people like it for work clothes. I would avoid Banana Republic. Their quality and style has dropped dramatically.