The bag that walked with me through 10 years of my life

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
When my husband and I were on our last, pre-parenthood vacation when I when I was expecting our first child, I bought a black Coach willis bag at a Coach outlet store. I carried that bag and that bag ONLY for 10 years. Finally, one day I really looked at it and I realized that it looked really shabby and I put it away.

Now, I am a purseaholic and I have dozens of beautiful bags. I even have a new Willis (genuine Coach - that I got from a garage sale for $2!!), but I am having trouble parting with my old Willis.

The ruthless part of me says that the bag NEEDS TO GO and that I will never carry it again, besides, I have a replacement! My sentimental side says to keep it because it was such of a part of my life for so long. I don't have a big closet....

What should I do? Keep it or get rid of it??

I would keep it ... I'm very sentimental with my things! It's not just a purse but an important keepsake of a very monumental time of your life (ie. expecting your first child). I still have my first designer bag that I bought and that baby is almost 15 years old ... like you, it sits in my closet but I could never give it away!

if you think you will regret it, I would hold on to it. There may come a day when you will be ready to get rid of it. Don't push it if you're not ready yet.

For me, it would be adding to the clutter. Sure, purses can have a lot of memories of life attached to it as time goes by, but those memories can be revived in other ways for me that have nothing to do with an object I've been carrying while making them. That is just me though.

Keep it. The bag itself is not the thing, but the memories it holds are. I tossed a purple leather envelope bag I carried in HS a few years ago and man ... I swear, once a week I mourn that loss. I loved that bag. It was worn out. No use to me. But the memories it invoked ... now mostly lost to me because I don't have that 'memory trigger' anymore. KEEP IT

Keep it, many of us have a bag or two we can not give up because of sentimental reasons... There is no harm in having one item that reminds you of a love time...

I have a couple of bags like that too. I say keep it, and as I do, put it away in storage in the garage or in a bin under the bed or wherever you keep things you don't use every month.

What about keeping it for the time being and treating it to a darn good spa session? I don't know if Coach themselves can do this for you, but surely it's worth asking especially when explaining it's history and how much it meant to you. Otherwise I'm sure there's bound to be some products you can use at home that could restore it to a certain extent? Unless it's hanging by a thread, I'd be tempted to put some effort into getting it restored as much as possible. It's a rare occurance (imo anyway) that things have any importance at all, so if they do for whatever reason, I try to take care of them as much as possible.