The Atlantic: Fashion’s Racism and Classism Are Finally Out of Style

Some years ago I foolishly decided to have an exchange in the comments section of Purseblog and was "school(ed)". Your comment reminded me of it and I hope it gives you a laugh.
(P/S: I find linguistics fascinating but it is not my area and I am forever learning. My understanding of the definition of racism includes 1.0 Prejudice 2.0 systemic racism and 3.0 social differences founded on race, but I only included the Miriam Webster 1.0 definition in this exchange)

View attachment 4810388

View attachment 4810395
That's...wow. :oh:

Reactions: 880
Some years ago I foolishly decided to have an exchange in the comments section of Purseblog and was "school(ed)". Your comment reminded me of it and I hope it gives you a laugh.
(P/S: I find linguistics fascinating but it is not my area and I am forever learning. My understanding of the definition of racism includes 1.0 Prejudice 2.0 systemic racism and 3.0 social differences founded on race, but I only included the Miriam Webster 1.0 definition in this exchange)

View attachment 4810388

View attachment 4810395

TBH I don't think either of you are technically wrong but you're not meeting in the pretty sensible middle ground which is a nation is sometimes considered an identifier for race and sometimes it isn't. The US is one obvious example where it doesn't.

I don't think either you or this person had bad intentions (of course can't know for sure) but I'm struck by seeing these types of arguments happening all the time on social media. It's like battle of the semantics among two well-meaning, educated people who at the end of the day both treat others with respect. And then somehow we end up on the opposite sides of the cause instead of both advancing it together. I'm not picking on you, it's just a thought I've had a lot lately. I've had similar arguments with people myself.

Last edited:
Our Southeast Asian culture was being sold on the premise of 'representation'. That's my gripe. A movie about Crazy Rich Southeast Asian Chinese being sold to Americans on this premise, and sold back to its Southeast Asian audience with the same premise still attached is quite laughable and somewhat insulting. I have a few problems with it being called Crazy Rich Asians but it being marketed towards in the US where 'Asians' tend to be a catchall term for East-Asians, I can't necessarily call it out on that front alone.

I have no problem with Bridget Jones with because it's not selling me anything. It's a mainstream white rom-com that doesn't pretend to be anything else. I love a Cinderella story or a lame rom-com as much as anyone. I would love to have stories not centered around conversations about racial trauma, or racial stereotypes or what have you. I would love not to have this conversation at all because it's exhausting to constantly have these conversations. But if you're going to sell me a movie based on racial representation, I expect you to at least be honest in its making. Frankly, I have more respect for works that don't market themselves on that basis and yet its racially diverse cast are portraying storylines that don't revolve around race.

Singapore is diverse, even for Southeast Asia (I'm not even mentioning the controversies of the main cast having mixed race Eurasian actors that aren't even mixed Chinese playing Singaporean-Chinese characters). And yet not only do other ethnicities not have speaking roles, they're only depicted as the help. The one non-Chinese speaking role isn't even the race she's portraying. Why did Kris Aquino of all people have to be cast as an Indonesian Princess? She's a Crazy Rich daughter of a Filipino political dynasty. The other Filipino actor (Nic Santos) they cast plays a Chinese person, the hero's second cousin.

Meanwhile, Filipinos are represented in the story as the non-speaking help (maybe they said 'Yes, ma'am.' idk, but that's the extent of it). My Filipino mother was a domestic helper. She's never grown out of needing to be constantly working. She and her sisters had to stop school to help work the farm while the boys got to continue with their education. She had to find work overseas to support the whole family of 7 or 8 kids and send the youngest boy to college (the first in our family). Her father (my grandfather) died while she was away and she couldn't go back for his funeral. Imagine then, your ethnicity being portrayed in a Cinderella tale marketed as progressive and representative, without any semblance of agency or dignity, while your fellow countrymen get to play other races in order to be able to move in privileged circles. Imagine being told just to be satisfied with being represented at all, rather than have no representation.

I would've enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians as the okay movie that it is if all these things weren't things that were glaringly obvious to any Southeast Asians (the author is Southeast Asian, as are members of the cast), things that could and should've been thought of during the production or pre-production process. But all this is telling me, is that we were an afterthought to an American audience. That our culture could be packaged and sold as a product without considering its people. This is what I mean by authenticity, or in this case, the lack of it.
Refreshing post and spot on. I went watched CRA and laughed mostly because I have more than enough awareness of who's who in Asia. I thought it aligned to some of the american movies I've seen laden with sterotypes and actors/actresses chosen that are easy to accept. TBH, I was surprised it was produced given what I thought was a great awareness of avoiding sterotypes. I think most people would conclude as I did "Ok so this is suppose to be the Chinese equivalent of the Cali rich, Rodeo Drive, Calabasas etc."

Reactions: jade and 880
[

I think it had more to do with being poor and rural. Isn’t that often the case?

I do believe it is not really fair to compare the fate of Irish and Italian emigrants in the US (or the UK), terrible as that may have been, with what went on under slavery. The Irish may have been asked to use a different pub, and the Italians may have been ridiculed and belittled. But neither were denied the simple right to father and name their own children and build strong families that would offer support through hardship. Neither were deprived from their human nature to be subject to the laws applying to cows and goats. The slavery of Africans in the Americas is one of the most horrific things humankind has done.
I truly do believe the Slavery of Africans was horrific. However, what happened to Native Americans was also horrific, they've never recovered. Yes, reservations are a part of my heritage. I'm a product of enough of the horrific happening in America but thankfully, I was raised to see there is a general problem in humanity of subjugating other humans. What happened in Nazi Germany.....that too is horrific. I'm not going to detail those horrors as I've never forgotten the documentaries I watched. One more thing I'll say regarding the tactics used against the slaves brought there; they are the tactics that have been used by the military for 1000s of years...separating families, breaks a society. Taking away male children, impacts procreation.

Anytime a humans are treated poorly for any reason it's bad....I just can't slice and dice it. IMHO, it's a global issue that has transpired across the span of human existence.

I truly do believe the Slavery of Africans was horrific. However, what happened to Native Americans was also horrific, they've never recovered.
I agree, equally horrific and even less well known I have the impression. The holocaust as well. They are all comparable and it is no point ascertaining whether one is worse than the other. They all have in common that they were made possible by culture systems that managed to institutionally dehumanize the victims thus suppressing empathy towards them.

Still, I think those were peak levels of cruelty and inhuman behavior that are not the same than the treatment dispensed to late emigrants in the US where extermination or ownership were never the goal. That was the usual ”you are different and weaker so I am going to reinforce my power position by treating you badly” (as opposed to: we don’t even share a human condition so as a society, I make it the law to do with you whatever I want). Two things being bad doesn’t make them the same. Putting all bads in the same basket risks diluting the impact of certain types of horror, or the far reaching consequences of specific actions. I think this is at the heart of how the Germans have been successful (all things considered) in dealing with the holocaust.

Still, I think those were peak levels of cruelty and inhuman behavior that are not the same than the treatment dispensed to late emigrants in the US where extermination or ownership were never the goal. That was the usual ”you are different and weaker so I am going to reinforce my power position by treating you badly” (as opposed to: we don’t even share a human condition so as a society, I make it the law to do with you whatever I want). Two things being bad doesn’t make them the same. Putting all bads in the same basket risks diluting the impact of certain types of horror, or the far reaching consequences of specific actions. I think this is at the heart of how the Germans have been successful (all things considered) in dealing with the holocaust.

I like how you put this. I agree and it's so hard to explain this to people why it can be so offensive to say "Slavery is horrific. But other people suffered terrible things too." Those 2 statements are true, but that "but ___ too" is what makes it a little offensive as a response to a discussion about one group's struggle. Each group, tragedy, illness, or any negative traumatic event deserves to be discussed or honored in its own spotlight. It's also just a matter of respect when you're talking to a person who has suffered directly. If your loved one came down with terminal lung cancer, you wouldn't say to them, "but other people get cancer all the time too... it's not just you" or "worst things have happened to other people." It's just insensitive. Everyone has likely suffered their fair share of tragedies and heartbreaks, but it shouldn't prevent us from still sympathizing with someone else's without any type of comparison.

Btw I'm not directing that at anyone here... I haven't been following enough to know if someone has or hasn't done this in this thread so pls don't take offense either way!

TBH I don't think either of you are technically wrong but you're not meeting in the pretty sensible middle ground which is a nation is sometimes considered an identifier for race and sometimes it isn't. The US is one obvious example where it doesn't.

I don't think either you or this person had bad intentions (of course can't know for sure) but I'm struck by seeing these types of arguments happening all the time on social media. It's like battle of the semantics among two well-meaning, educated people who at the end of the day both treat others with respect. And then somehow we end up on the opposite sides of the cause instead of both advancing it together. I'm not picking on you, it's just a thought I've had a lot lately. I've had similar arguments with people myself.
Thank you for your opinion. I agree that nations are sometimes an identifier for race and sometimes not. Its the absolute rejection that it can that I disagreed with. And the idea that all east Asians are one race that probably comes from a western centric view of the world. And the ad hominems.
You've been nothing but respectful in your reply and your different reading of the exchange is accepted in good spirit :smile:

My mother toiled in the paddy fields with her family and their beauty ideal was always light skin. No one in Asia looks at a white person and thinks 'I want white skin'. Most Asian people (Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Malay, Thai, etc) look at their lighter toned brothers and sisters and say 'I want their lighter skin-tone'. If you look at the big names in Filipino showbusiness, they're usually lightskinned. East Asian entertainment is dominated by porcelain coloured skin-tones while anyone with a tan stands out. Pick any upper class social circle in Asia and they'll usually have light skin. Strikingly, quite a number of Asian royals and their extended family members don't seem to care as much about skin tone, having tans from outdoor pursuits like polo, or sailing around on yachts, etc. I'm guessing since they're already at the top of the social hierarchy, they aren't concerned about skin-tone.
I agree that lighter skin was a preference for a long time because it indicated you didn’t have to work under the sun to earn your food. Fair hands could be more important than a fair face. The more aristocratic (i.e. the less you had to do) the lighter the skin. So it was more about class (and the divide between urban and rural) than about race.

When fair skin started to mean you could not afford a holiday, tanned became the thing, at least in the West.
I was reading this old magazine the other day, from the mid 1920s, and it had this narrative about two women meeting in the city after the Summer season, with the one having been in Biarritz exhibiting a tan and reporting that being as dark as possible was now the à la mode thing in France’s vacation hot spots, and the other one, having vacationed somewhere less fashionable, worrying that the fair skin she had spent the Summer protecting with hats and parasols was now going to showcase how outdated she was. So I guess that it was around this time that the change happened.

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion. I agree that nations are sometimes an identifier for race and sometimes not. Its the absolute rejection that it can that I disagreed with. And the idea that all east Asians are one race that probably comes from a western centric view of the world. And the ad hominems.
You've been nothing but respectful in your reply and your different reading of the exchange is accepted in good spirit :smile:
Yes! I have personally experienced extreme version of this IRL and most of the time I laugh it off but it gets tiresome when they don't even bother to distinguish your face from another Asia face...

Yes! In the old days, having a lighter skin means that you don't need to do hard labour under the sun, e.g. working in paddy fields.

I agree and I think it is also related to genetics. China has been conquered by Northerners for the past few hundred years, and Northerners generally have lighter skin, taller built, straight black hair, thinner lips. Hence, it became the beauty standard.

My mother toiled in the paddy fields with her family and their beauty ideal was always light skin. No one in Asia looks at a white person and thinks 'I want white skin'. Most Asian people (Chinese, Filipino, Indian, Malay, Thai, etc) look at their lighter toned brothers and sisters and say 'I want their lighter skin-tone'. If you look at the big names in Filipino showbusiness, they're usually lightskinned. East Asian entertainment is dominated by porcelain coloured skin-tones while anyone with a tan stands out. Pick any upper class social circle in Asia and they'll usually have light skin. Strikingly, quite a number of Asian royals and their extended family members don't seem to care as much about skin tone, having tans from outdoor pursuits like polo, or sailing around on yachts, etc. I'm guessing since they're already at the top of the social hierarchy, they aren't concerned about skin-tone.

I think it’s also because Royalties and those in the upper most crust are educated in the West.

I admire both of you for your restraint. Truly, I do.

I hold a different view as the original comment had xenophobic and classist undertones, not to mention the condescending and patronising way with which they tried to counter your comments, trying to 'educate' you while calling you 'young and uneducated', as if somehow having 'a Masters degree in cultural anthropology' automatically makes their POV more legitimate than one's lived experiences regarding race. Semantics aside, prejudice is still prejudice. One can criticise the Chinese communist state (I do, often) and its disregard for the environmental impact of their manufacturing industry without having to dump all over the Chinese factory worker who doesn't have a say in any of the economic decision making. The common Chinese factory worker doesn't have any rights at all. And let's not forget who shifted manufacturing to China when it opened up to the world on the back of cheap and exploitative labour so that we could buy goods at ridiculously low prices. People can't turn their nose up at China or any other developing country and wash their hands of the role the West has played in all of this. This is exactly the kind of thing the Atlantic article is referring to about the intersection of class and race in a globalised society.

Last edited:
Agree with this and am glad you could brush it off with grace. We can disagree politely and tactfully. JMO, of course. :smile:
Trust me, my initial response was much more heated and I had to rewrite several drafts before erasing the entire thing and starting over. If there's one thing I cannot bear it's someone talking and punching down to someone else.

• Love