The art of writing - writing culture - or simply: a thread about pens

• Thread starter the_black_tie_diyer
  • Start date
ok....not a great picture, but it's all I have. BTW would anyone know where I could have the nib section changed? I purchased the piece, I just don't know how to do it myself without destroying the nib itself. Thanks.View attachment 3503363
Check out nibs.com. They will retip fountain pens. I buy my fountain pens from them as they customise/modify nibs based on how I hold and use the pen. It makes for a much smoother writing experience.
I judge pens nibs and value flex. With contemporary pens, Sailor has the most flexible nibs - they're 14k or 21k gold. But you can't beat the flexibility of vintage flex (wet noodle) pens.

Reactions: Julide
I was going to suggest nibs. Com as well. They're very busy, but you can pay for rush service.

I've used their services for several years and John Mottishaw is a wonderful nib meister.

I was going to suggest nibs. Com as well. They're very busy, but you can pay for rush service.

I've used their services for several years and John Mottishaw is a wonderful nib meister.
Thank you both. I will look into nibs.com I don't know if it matters but the 18k nib on the pen is still in excellent shape. I just need the nib put into the new nib section itself.

Thank you both. I will look into nibs.com I don't know if it matters but the 18k nib on the pen is still in excellent shape. I just need the nib put into the new nib section itself.
Where do you live? If there is a local fountain pen enthusiast group, one of the members can probably do it for you. I'd check Fountain Pen Network.

Reactions: tealocean
I stick to ballpoints as I am left handed and do not want the maintenance of a fountain pen. Below is my working collection of pens. A brass Rotring, a standard MontBlanc, Waterman Carene and a Waterman Charleston. The best one to use for writing: the Waterman Charleston. The Rotring is great for boring meetings when I can screw off the tip and imagine it's a space capsule. Yes, most meetings are that bad. The Carene is excellent but a bit heavy.

Pen_set2.jpg

IMG_0937.JPG IMG_0938.JPG I love pens, I got this habit from my mother. I have a very small collection. One Cartier and two Mont Blanc. The silver Mont Blanc and the blotter are my favorites and a gift from my mother. :flowers: The blotter is super reflective so I am having problems taking pictures. :blush: OMG. My spelling is awful! :faint:

Last edited:
Hi,

I hope it's ok to start this thread here in the jewelry box - I couldn't find any better suited sub-forum.

Fellow pen aficionados, please share your pens & accessories I'd love to see your pictures.

I'll start with 2 of my Montblancs

Meisterstück LeGrand ballpoint pen, platinum hardware.

View attachment 3502501

Bohème fountain pen (retractable tip), platinum hardware.

View attachment 3502502

Kind regards,
Oliver

Your penmanship is amazing!! Beautiful writing. :flowers: