the Angelina Jolie thread

TBH, I'm so sick and tired of men dating immediately after divorce. It almost renders their previous marriages obsolete. Like there's no time for mourning or reflection.

I know of a couple deeply in love. The wife of 15 years died suddenly and after 6 months the husband re-married. Needless to say, all our family and friends are stunned and hurt. So hurt like she never mattered. Where did he find the time and energy to date and get married like there was no grieving time....

'Splitting from Angelina was like death': Brad Pitt confesses to drinking too much in run up to 'self-inflicted' end of his marriage in first raw interview

Brad Pitt has compared his split from Angelina Jolie to 'a death', admitting that he is an emotional 'retard' whose heavy drinking helped ruined his marriage.

Jolie stunned the world in September, 2016 when she filed for divorce following an alleged altercation on a private jet between the actor and their 15-year-old son, Maddox.

Now in his first interview since the shock separation, he reveals he is tee-total, in therapy and blames himself for the marriage crumbling, conceding: 'I hit the lottery and I still would waste my time on those hollow pursuits.

He told GQ Style magazine: '(The split was) self-inflicted... If you love someone, set them free. Now I know what it means, by feeling it.

'It means to love without ownership. It means expecting nothing in return. It doesn't mean f*** all to me until, you know. Until you live it.

When asked if the last few months had felt like he was grieving a death, he simply replied: 'Yeah.'

The Fight Club star has quit alcohol since the incident, admitting it had become a 'problem' during his life with Angelina.

I mean, we have a winery. I enjoy wine very, very much, but I just ran it to the ground. I had to step away for a minute,' he continued. 'And truthfully I could drink a Russian under the table with his own vodka. I was a professional. I was good,' before conceding that he didn't 'want to live that way anymore'.

'But me, personally, I can’t remember a day since I got out of college when I wasn’t boozing or had a spliff, or something.

'I mean I stopped everything except boozing when I started my family. But even this last year, you know - things I wasn’t dealing with. I was boozing too much. It’s just become a problem.'

He has now replaced boozing with therapy, adding: 'You know, I just started therapy. I love it. I love it. I went through two therapists to get the right one.'

Alongside his bombshell revelation that his drinking damaged his relationship, the actor says that he spent too much time away from his children working on films.

'I say that as someone who's let the work take me away. Kids are so delicate,' he explains. 'They absorb everything. They need to have their hand held and things explained. They need to be listened to. When I get in that busy work mode, I'm not hearing. I want to be better at that.'

And it seems the therapy is working - Pitt refuses to take the magnifying glass away from himself, saying he is 'emotionally retarded' and hasn't 'been great' at proving his feelings to his children, explaining: 'It's hit me smack in the face with our divorce: I gotta be more. I gotta be more for them. I have to show them.'

Explaining his life in the weeks after Angelina filed for divorce, Brad says he was too devastated to return to his home in Beverly Hills and needed to get away.

He slept on a friend's floor for six weeks as he tried to cope with the loss of his relationship and family homelife.

'Splitting from Angelina was like death': Brad Pitt confesses to drinking too much in run up to 'self-inflicted' end of his marriage in first raw interview

Brad Pitt has compared his split from Angelina Jolie to 'a death', admitting that he is an emotional 'retard' whose heavy drinking helped ruined his marriage.

Jolie stunned the world in September, 2016 when she filed for divorce following an alleged altercation on a private jet between the actor and their 15-year-old son, Maddox.

Now in his first interview since the shock separation, he reveals he is tee-total, in therapy and blames himself for the marriage crumbling, conceding: 'I hit the lottery and I still would waste my time on those hollow pursuits.

He told GQ Style magazine: '(The split was) self-inflicted... If you love someone, set them free. Now I know what it means, by feeling it.

'It means to love without ownership. It means expecting nothing in return. It doesn't mean f*** all to me until, you know. Until you live it.

When asked if the last few months had felt like he was grieving a death, he simply replied: 'Yeah.'

The Fight Club star has quit alcohol since the incident, admitting it had become a 'problem' during his life with Angelina.

I mean, we have a winery. I enjoy wine very, very much, but I just ran it to the ground. I had to step away for a minute,' he continued. 'And truthfully I could drink a Russian under the table with his own vodka. I was a professional. I was good,' before conceding that he didn't 'want to live that way anymore'.

'But me, personally, I can’t remember a day since I got out of college when I wasn’t boozing or had a spliff, or something.

'I mean I stopped everything except boozing when I started my family. But even this last year, you know - things I wasn’t dealing with. I was boozing too much. It’s just become a problem.'

He has now replaced boozing with therapy, adding: 'You know, I just started therapy. I love it. I love it. I went through two therapists to get the right one.'

Alongside his bombshell revelation that his drinking damaged his relationship, the actor says that he spent too much time away from his children working on films.

'I say that as someone who's let the work take me away. Kids are so delicate,' he explains. 'They absorb everything. They need to have their hand held and things explained. They need to be listened to. When I get in that busy work mode, I'm not hearing. I want to be better at that.'

And it seems the therapy is working - Pitt refuses to take the magnifying glass away from himself, saying he is 'emotionally retarded' and hasn't 'been great' at proving his feelings to his children, explaining: 'It's hit me smack in the face with our divorce: I gotta be more. I gotta be more for them. I have to show them.'

Explaining his life in the weeks after Angelina filed for divorce, Brad says he was too devastated to return to his home in Beverly Hills and needed to get away.

He slept on a friend's floor for six weeks as he tried to cope with the loss of his relationship and family homelife.
I'm shocked that he'd reveal all this to GQ. And my first reaction is if he realized he had a problem why couldn't he get therapy and salvage the family? Unless he didn't realize it until it was too late. Why couldn't she give him an ultimatum instead of just dumping him? This is all very personal.

Kudos to him admitting his faults, yes.
Would be great if the same curtesy was offered to Angelina by those who relentlessly bashed and verbally degraded her in the wake of the break-up.

That's also kinda why I posted this, and bolded some parts where he admits it was his fault. People were instant to demonize Angelina the second the divorce was announced, calling her every name in the book, all sorts of theories etc. Brad and Angie never said anything publicly, yet people all over the internet, including here, quickly made up their minds who to blame.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that he'd reveal all this to GQ. And my first reaction is if he realized he had a problem why couldn't he get therapy and salvage the family? Unless he didn't realize it until it was too late. Why couldn't she give him an ultimatum instead of just dumping him? This is all very personal.
Did you find it too revealing?

When I started the article I thought whoa this is too much to reveal but when I finished it there were many parts I found quite moving. He rambles in parts and sometimes uses weird LA language but he was very honest with his emotions and I thought that was admirable... there were parts I even related to in an indirect way.

In totality I thought it was one of the better celebrity interviews I think I've read.

Honestly, when he talks about 'boozing since college...' I don't understand where it didn't sink in about the responsibilities of parenting. I would imagine that AJ probably got so sick of him not being in a straight state of mind & there was probably a straw that broke the camels back (maybe in the plane when they say he might of went off on one of the kids). Of course, people tell you what they want you to know & I'm sure he's looking forward to a road to recovery, not only with drinking but on the road to being a good parent. Once you have kids your life is no longer your own. I know it's a cliche but it's so true no matter what your social standing is. It's good to see that it seems that they are working together towards the goal of good parenting. I wish them the best.

Last edited:
Did you find it too revealing?

When I started the article I thought whoa this is too much to reveal but when I finished it there were many parts I found quite moving. He rambles in parts and sometimes uses weird LA language but he was very honest with his emotions and I thought that was admirable... there were parts I even related to in an indirect way.

In totality I thought it was one of the better celebrity interviews I think I've read.
I haven't read the whole thing. My first reaction was why reveal all this to GQ? Are they known for in-depth articles? Guess maybe they are; I don't read it. Maybe doing this is part of his therapy. Seems very personal to me but seems he's trying to do the right thing. In doing so he makes himself look good for being honest and redeems Angie too.

That's also kinda why I posted this, and bolded some parts where he admits it was his fault. People were instant to demonize Angelina the second the divorce was announced, calling her every name in the book, all sorts of theories etc. Brad and Angie never said anything publicly, yet people all over the internet, including here, quickly made up their minds who to blame.
Um, Angie said and did plenty publicly. Don't forget all the nasty accusations and articles written back then. She was out for blood.

Reactions: bellecate