The Americans - FX

I sure will miss this show and the actors.

The finale was not what I expected, which is always good. After it was done, I sat on my sofa with my snoring pug and thought "they really were doing what they thought was the right thing for their country" and there really is nothing wrong with that except for the "other" side, which was/is us. I don't think I can recall a kill that either of them truly enjoyed just for the fun of it, it was always for the Motherland, and what they had been brainwashed into believing. Like Philip said recently "they never did it, we did it."

I've read a few recaps that, because I am as dense as a rock sometimes, I didn't get some of the obvious things, like their last American meal being from that most American of restaurants (where did they find that cool, old-fashioned McD's--all the ones around me are a messy mix of brick and yuck) and the fact that they were allowed to enter the Soviet Union signaled that the drop had gone through.

I'm interested to see some other comments here because of me being dense--I read a comment here and go "OH YEAH, that's what it was about!"

And I think Stan will need Henry to have some reason to live and not go off the deep end.

And damn!!--what about Renee? She's The Americans version of the last episode of the Sopranos, in my estimation.
I loved this show. :crybaby:
Agree, it was a pretty satisfying ending. Left me curious about Renee. How did Phil know about her (or suspect her)? What will Stan do about her? We'll never know.
I like that the kids stayed in the US. To me it was totally implausible for a kid raised her to go live in Russia.
I'm sad it's over

Agree, it was a pretty satisfying ending. Left me curious about Renee. How did Phil know about her (or suspect her)? What will Stan do about her? We'll never know.
I like that the kids stayed in the US. To me it was totally implausible for a kid raised her to go live in Russia.
I'm sad it's over
Good point re: Renee--if a known Soviet Spy gives a heads up on someone, do something about it! Philip had told him (and truthfully so) that he was his best friend while living here, what reason to toss that out except that he considered Stan his friend? And the 3 of them just asked him to take care of Henry too. Stan now knows to research her background very thoroughly, and he probably will.

Renee just happened to be wearing a leotard doing aerobics at his gym when he was at his lowest, yeah right.

Wonder when someone will find wherever they stored all their wigs, etc. That will be crazy!

Good point re: Renee--if a known Soviet Spy gives a heads up on someone, do something about it! Philip had told him (and truthfully so) that he was his best friend while living here, what reason to toss that out except that he considered Stan his friend? And the 3 of them just asked him to take care of Henry too. Stan now knows to research her background very thoroughly, and he probably will.

Renee just happened to be wearing a leotard doing aerobics at his gym when he was at his lowest, yeah right.
Wonder when someone will find wherever they stored all their wigs, etc. That will be crazy!

I liked the way Philip talked him out of taking them into custody with his heartfelt talk about the friendship. Started out badly with Stan calling him a POS.
Did you understand the flashback of elizabeth with her black lover?

A little disappointed because there are unanswered questions. To be honest, I was never a big fan of Elizabeth, and even after the finale, I am not.
SPOILERS (possible)
1. Will Phillip/Mischa see his other son in Russia?
2. Will Phillip see Martha?
3. Oleg. I mean I know he's in jail now, but will he ever leave?
4. Wouldn't they try and kill Elizabeth since she killed the other agent?
5. Is Renee a spy?
6. What is going to happen to Paige? Will she be in trouble for knowing what she does? How will she live with no money or place to live?

Reactions: CanuckBagLover
I liked the way Philip talked him out of taking them into custody with his heartfelt talk about the friendship. Started out badly with Stan calling him a POS.
Did you understand the flashback of elizabeth with her black lover?
I had to look this up. She was pregnant with Paige but didn't want to have the baby. It was to backup the idea that Elizabeth never wanted children and only had them to set up her life as a normal American family.

I remember early on when Renee appeared, Philip and Elizabeth found it odd that she just suddenly dropped into his life. They probably had "spidey sense" about her but never were able to confirm.
Thought it was a wonderfully executed finale (pardon the expression lol). There's a trail of living hell ahead for all the principals.
Loved the one glancing bit of comedy in Philip's line to Stan about EST.

Reactions: CanuckBagLover
I had to look this up. She was pregnant with Paige but didn't want to have the baby. It was to backup the idea that Elizabeth never wanted children and only had them to set up her life as a normal American family.

To me the Gregory scene served to inform Elizabeth about the contrasts with her early self, not continuity with it. Back then, as a baby rebel, she thought she knew her emotions and politics and believed none of that would ever change. But they did, profoundly. As an actual mother and wife, it's a different set of feelings that she confronts toward the end.

It was interesting that the flashback made more sense of the power in art that she experienced in caretaking Erica. It was first associated with Gregory, when abstract and difficult images caught her attention. Later on, art seemed to provoke in Elizabeth more emotion and maybe more introspection.

A little disappointed because there are unanswered questions. To be honest, I was never a big fan of Elizabeth, and even after the finale, I am not.
SPOILERS (possible)
1. Will Phillip/Mischa see his other son in Russia?
2. Will Phillip see Martha?
3. Oleg. I mean I know he's in jail now, but will he ever leave?
4. Wouldn't they try and kill Elizabeth since she killed the other agent?
5. Is Renee a spy?
6. What is going to happen to Paige? Will she be in trouble for knowing what she does? How will she live with no money or place to live?
They did leave a lot of unanswered questions, which is ok with me, the overall impression I was left with is that no one was going to have it easy going forward.

With respect to the consequences for Elizabeth, the fact that Oleg's handler greeted them, seemed to me to indicat that his faction (those who supported Gorbachev) won the power struggle. Maybe that bodes well for Oleg too (I hope so) but I guess we'll never know.
With respect to Paige, I don't think FBI ever knew the extent of her involvement, they were looking for her as way to get to Phil and Elizabeth. And if remember correctly, all she told Phil is that she knew they were KBG agents, she didn't directly implicate herself in any operation. I think Phil will protect her.

I enjoyed the finale. Yes there are many unanswered questions. I was surprised to see Paige return to Washington. She will be watched constantly and certainly would never be allowed to hold a gov't job. Her future as well as Henry's is tainted by association. The Feds may not know that she helped with the spying, but she won't be let alone and the Russians won't want her either. Stan is the Duh! man to me. The music when he walks into the bedroom was perfect. He loves her, but can't come to grips with the idea that she may have duped him as well as his "best" friend. He probably would watch and see what she does. The last scene with Renee and how she was watching the FBI told me that she was a spy. I think Philips spydar picked her up a long time ago. He could see the honey trap they used to bait Stan.

I think that Oleg will be released at some point as the Russians he worked with will make a deal to get him home, though showing his father with Oleg's wife did not engender hope. He may be in prison for a while, but not forever.

Philip and Elizabeth looked lost to me in that last scene. They realized that the excitement of their undercover life will never translate into the life they are going to have. The sadness that they both feel because they will never see their children again may work to separate them in the end. I don't see either of them fitting in that well.

I was glad to see them get away, and the scene with Stan was masterful in the way that Philip manipulated him so they could flee.

I'm gonna check out Juliana Marguilises's new series on Sundance - Dietland - first two episodes start tonight
Just read a review. I think we will be treated to more great clothes on JM. Red wig alert! Apparently this show has lots of them too. Between Dietland and The Americans, the wig makers of America should be in hog heaven.