The addiction of it all

Wife has a B35, K32, K28, Lindy and Evelyn. I told her to slow down on the bags until she is using all of them in regular rotation (she hasn’t touched the Lindy in ages).

I’d personally be fine with her buying another quota bag, because if we needed to, we could sell them at a minimal loss. That being said, they’re way too expensive to sit in a closet. If she’s going to enjoy them, then fine but at a certain point, adult responsibility has to kick in. If a bag is going to sit in a closet, then that $10k to $20k can go into our investment portfolio where it will grow at a better rate.
RIGHT!!! That’s why I’m snapping out of this Hermes fog I’m in.

Reactions: megt10
I've been collecting Hermes for 40 years. I'm one of those people who own 30-40 bags. I actually regularly use 10-15 of them. I actually go back and forth about whether I should sell some of them. But it is a hassle to sell (on your own or through a reseller) and most likely will lose money. Meanwhile, they are in my bag closet looking pretty.

My most used bags are my 31 Bolides. They are fabulous, under the radar, but gorgeous bags.

My advice is to slow down and see what you use. It's normal to rush in and buy everything shown to you., but resist that urge.
So true!!! Wow, what a collection!

You have three beautiful B35s! Maybe after adding the constance you can take a little break and spend some time using the bags to make sure they really work for you and you’re getting your money’s worth. H bags are super expensive so I think it’s better to pace yourself and slowly build your collection to avoid any costly mistakes. I got my HG B30 but like you, I often reach for my Chanel mini as it’s so convenient and I’m less precious with it since it cost a fraction of what the B30 cost. Good luck and keep us posted on whether you get your constance!
Absolutely right. Once I get my Constance I’m DONE - DONE!

I, too, am an addict. I know exactly what you are going through. Looking from the outside, although bleu encre is a gorgeous color, I don’t think you need another B35 unless you want to sell one you currently have. I personally think bleu encre could replace the black, although many would disagree. But maybe bleu encre in a B30? Regardless, maybe this thought will help you hold off on this purchase.

I, too, am an addict. I know exactly what you are going through. Looking from the outside, although bleu encre is a gorgeous color, I don’t think you need another B35 unless you want to sell one you currently have. I personally think bleu encre could replace the black, although many would disagree. But maybe bleu encre in a B30? Regardless, maybe this thought will help you hold off on this purchase.
This thread has helped a lot actually. I don’t need another Birkin period. I’ll save thé Bleu Encre for a Constance. No need for more Birkins. I love them but I’m not the right person who can have tons of them.

This isn't true. I know a lot of people trying to sell bags and getting much less than they expect. Please don't accumulate because you're counting on resale.

On topic: I have noticed a trend here at tPF. Many of us buy a LOT of bags in quick succession. Then we learn more about what bags we carry the most; what works with our wardrobes; what's too heavy or doesn't hold enough; what is too high maintenance; and what just generally stays in the closet.
Then we start to cull. I have about 20ish H bags, maybe a bit more; around 4 were traded with other bags that didn't work; and I've sold 6 or 7. I still have at least 4-5 great bags I never use, so I am not finished learning.
in short: pace yourself.
I totally agree. My Gold Birkin is from 2005 and that’s the one I was considering selling. I’m well aware I won’t get much for it. I was offered 5k for it in March.

Yes it's very addictive
Plus extreme costly hobbies
Haha
Therefore you must
Try them
Use them
Before you will know exactly
What you actually
Suit
Use
Need
Its gd to know you are ready to venture into other models
Read more in tpf on leathers characteristics
Colors
Sizes etc
Everyone experiences and preferences are different

Yes it's very addictive
Plus extreme costly hobbies
Haha
Therefore you must
Try them
Use them
Before you will know exactly
What you actually
Suit
Use
Need
Its gd to know you are ready to venture into other models
Read more in tpf on leathers characteristics
Colors
Sizes etc
Everyone experiences and preferences are different
AGREED!!!!

I totally agree. My Gold Birkin is from 2005 and that’s the one I was considering selling. I’m well aware I won’t get much for it. I was offered 5k for it in March.

I think $5k is a lowball offer, but that being said, it still speaks volumes to the demand and quality of these bags. $5k for a 14 year old used bag shows that the demand is there and that it will be there for a while. Before Hermes, my wife bought Chanel, LV, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, etc. There is nearly zero chance that we could get 50% of new price for any of her old non-H bags.

Reactions: FashionHuntress
I think $5k is a lowball offer, but that being said, it still speaks volumes to the demand and quality of these bags. $5k for a 14 year old used bag shows that the demand is there and that it will be there for a while. Before Hermes, my wife bought Chanel, LV, Gucci, Marc Jacobs, etc. There is nearly zero chance that we could get 50% of new price for any of her old non-H bags.
I thought it was a low ball offer too and that’s why I turned it down. In my head I was thinking 7-8k at least. I’d rather wait or just keep it.

I admire your honesty. A lot of people think that way but would not admit it.
Thank you. We’re spending an obscene amount of money for purses. I think we all have the right to be honest. Especially here which I consider a safe space. No disrespect or judgment for others who like or collect different bags. Just for me personally B, K and C’s are my choice.

I got the point. I think I didn’t make my point more clearly but that’s neither here or there. I’m definitely not buying to resale. I was say worst case scenario i get a few thousand back.'r

I most definitely need and will slow down!!!! I can’t afford not to slow down! LOL
No I got your point. Maybe you're still not seeing mine. What I am saying is that you are going so fast and buying many bags that are same size/style. "What if" you find later on that a B30 or B25 or Kelly actually suited your lifestyle better and then all of a sudden... you WANT to sell a B35 (not buy to resell). Well.... you will lose a lot of money. A LOT. Not a litlle. A LOT. I know, I made the mistake of thinking B35 was perfect and it turns out... 6 years later... Sold. Right before the small bag trend started. But guess what, still lost A LOT because I had to sell through AFF and she takes a cut. Although it had to be done because at that point I wasn't wearing the bag at all due to the weight of the bag. since the time I acquired the b35, I had acquired 3 B30s and at that point I knew what really worked for me. The only reason I am comfortable buying so many B30s is because I have also tried the B25. Wrong for me. Size is great but the handle drop is too constrained on my arm and I don't want a handheld birkin. I have also tried the Constance 24. Its wonderful but it is not a cross body bag. That kinda stinks so two C's is all I will own. I say all that to say this... we learn as we go... over time... and through that time, our tastes may change too. But if you go lightning fast, you could end up with multiple bags that don't work for you and you take a huge loss on them when u finally realize u have to let them go in order to feed the obession with the bag that actually works for. u. I'll get off my soap box now. xoxoxoxo GL

Last edited: