The addiction of it all

Mar 24, 2018
I know I have a problem. When is enough - enough? Last year I was able to get 3 of my HG Birkins.
Gold Clémence PHW 35 - reseller
Noir Togo GHW 35 - reseller
Etain Togo GHW 35 - store bought.

Now that it’s 2019 I already turned over my wish list.
C18/24 Noir Epsom GHW
C18/24 Bleu Encre GHW
K25/28 noir Epsom Sellier GHW

My SA asked if I wanted the B35 in Bleu Encre to add some color. I said yes but do I really "need" another Birkin? I have 3 and I don’t wear them all the time because of the weather or convenience walking around NYC. That’s why I have C’s at top of my list. Also I’m not some socialite with this huge disposable income. My H addition is hard earn. I really need to be on Ban island! Part of me wants to sit back and just relax. The other part is excited/craving the purchase of a new H dream bag. I talk to "normal" people IRL and they can’t understand the Hermès thing at all. It’s literally an addiction. Lastly I’m also considering re-homing my B35 Gold Clémence PHW and replace with a Gold Togo GHW B35. However I’m questioning is it even worth it? Should I just focus on new wishlist? Decision - decisions

Hiya! Sorry i can't provide much advice other than to say, i totally get you!! H becomes an additional because the pieces are so rare that when something becomes available, you just want to jump on it! and you feel so lucky to get it. SO you're not alone...i just got my first Kelly last year and now JUMPED on purchasing a medor clutch even though i have nowhere to wear it (yet)

and i thought i was alone in my quest for the next bag then the next bag then the next......H REALLY is an addiction. I'm always on the hunt for the next bag and I'm consistently modifying my wistlist, adding and taking items out. I honestly have more than enough bags and I don't even get to use them often as I use my work bag thru the week. I started my Hermes journey around half a year ago and have since bought 2 birkin, 1 kelly, 1 Lindy, 1 constance and 1 picotin :rolleyes: honest thoughts, i don't think you need another birkin, but the offer is always tempting and only you can decide if you're using your bags enough to justify another purchase. sounds like a constance would be a good choice for you now, I probably would hold off that birkin :flowers: good luck deciding!

Hiya! Sorry i can't provide much advice other than to say, i totally get you!! H becomes an additional because the pieces are so rare that when something becomes available, you just want to jump on it! and you feel so lucky to get it. SO you're not alone...i just got my first Kelly last year and now JUMPED on purchasing a medor clutch even though i have nowhere to wear it (yet)
That’s been my thought process. Once I get all my HG bags crossed off the list THEN I’ll “stop” . Who am I kidding?

and i thought i was alone in my quest for the next bag then the next bag then the next......H REALLY is an addiction. I'm always on the hunt for the next bag and I'm consistently modifying my wistlist, adding and taking items out. I honestly have more than enough bags and I don't even get to use them often as I use my work bag thru the week. I started my Hermes journey around half a year ago and have since bought 2 birkin, 1 kelly, 1 Lindy, 1 constance and 1 picotin :rolleyes: honest thoughts, i don't think you need another birkin, but the offer is always tempting and only you can decide if you're using your bags enough to justify another purchase. sounds like a constance would be a good choice for you now, I probably would hold off that birkin :flowers: good luck deciding!
Yes, I believe a Constance or Kelly would be the next logical step. Well as if there’s logic to H shopping! . Another B just seems like overkill though. I think DH would kill me! Haha

I will also say...it's a bit easier to shop for H knowing that you can always resell items later if you change your mind. It feels like there isn't really a downside to the addiction (other than ongoing hit to the wallet when you make that purchase)
You’re 100% right! I was just telling my BFF that the other day. I said at the very least I can always sell them. Prices are going up and they’re more and more in demand.

I can relate. I know saying that is Not helpful but I can relate as last year was the year I almost lost my mind with Hermes bags. The addiction is real but it gets less addicting when you look at the mileage these bags get in the context of how much is sitting on a shelf in your closet not getting used - I.e idle dollars losing value. If you try to stick to one bag per quota from the store , do you think that will help keep your addiction under control? Exploring resellers market can be enabling too if you your goal is to manage how many bags your are buying because it’s easier to get bags through them then waiting for the call from the store. Just like you, I am not a socialite who has more social events than shoes, handbags, accessories. Nor am I an Instagram influencer who can photograph these bags with different outfits, dessert servings, witty captions, mink rugs, ring lights etc. Rather I’m the everyday gal from the block whose handbags are begging to be carried and my weekend runs are from Whole Foods, to yoga, to ulta, to pedicure appt, etc. not to anywhere fancy. So l too have realized, after scoring my HG Birkins that a bag per quota is too much. Way too much $$$$$ for so little prime time.

Lastly I will caution you against reselling as an out from buying too many bags- reseller market is flooded with lovely bags (Not only preloved, but spanking new) theses days that it’s becoming a natural thing to lose a couple of thousand dollars even on the most classic bags. Gone are the days that everyone makes a significant markup reselling Hermes bags. The only persons winning in this game are the middle men/women reselling on your behalf cos whether you lose money or not, they get paid on a product they haven’t invested in upfront. All then best- meanwhile I love your taste in colors.

You’re 100% right! I was just telling my BFF that the other day. I said at the very least I can always sell them. Prices are going up and they’re more and more in demand.

Really, studies globally have pointed to prices for H Bs ad Ks overall is down?

Staying on topics (which we must) I would say that an option could be if you you're not that fond of the Gold phw (my preferred combo) you could make way for the B B.Encre. Otherwise, if you're a neutral lover ad it's working for you. probably I'd stick.

I must say there's a lot of merit in a very slowly built collection. It allows you get to know the models/sizes/colours/combos. I have bought new and preloved, after 10 years I have (soon to be) 12 bags and I'm pretty happy. I know that if I'd taken half of the bags offered they'd be 30-40 unused, pretty bags sitting on a shelf somewhere. There'll always be another bag.

The H addiction is real[emoji30]. I wouldn’t add another 35, especially since they get so heavy. Maybe try mixing it up and add a smaller size like a 30 or a Kelly so you are hands free?. I love bigger bags because I’m tall but I only buy b30’s
I’m definitely looking for something hands free with a strap. I like the B35 because I’m very tall too. The B30 seems tiny to me but MAYBE ill consider one day. I will never buy the B25. I’ll look like King Kong holding a doll
Bag

I can relate. I know saying that is Not helpful but I can relate as last year was the year I almost lost my mind with Hermes bags. The addiction is real but it gets less addicting when you look at the mileage these bags get in the context of how much is sitting on a shelf in your closet not getting used - I.e idle dollars losing value. If you try to stick to one bag per quota from the store , do you think that will help keep your addiction under control? Exploring resellers market can be enabling too if you your goal is to manage how many bags your are buying because it’s easier to get bags through them then waiting for the call from the store. Just like you, I am not a socialite who has more social events than shoes, handbags, accessories. Nor am I an Instagram influencer who can photograph these bags with different outfits, dessert servings, witty captions, mink rugs, ring lights etc. Rather I’m the everyday gal from the block whose handbags are begging to be carried and my weekend runs are from Whole Foods, to yoga, to ulta, to pedicure appt, etc. not to anywhere fancy. So l too have realized, after scoring my HG Birkins that a bag per quota is too much. Way too much $$$$$ for so little prime time.

Lastly I will caution you against reselling as an out from buying too many bags- reseller market is flooded with lovely bags (Not only preloved, but spanking new) theses days that it’s becoming a natural thing to lose a couple of thousand dollars even on the most classic bags. Gone are the days that everyone makes a significant markup reselling Hermes bags. The only persons winning in this game are the middle men/women reselling on your behalf cos whether you lose money or not, they get paid on a product they haven’t invested in upfront. All then best- meanwhile I love your taste in colors.
I meant selling the gold PHW to make room and make “some” money back. There’s no way I’m going to get a lot for it. I’m hoping for at least half of a new bag.

Really, studies globally have pointed to prices for H Bs ad Ks overall is down?

Staying on topics (which we must) I would say that an option could be if you you're not that fond of the Gold phw (my preferred combo) you could make way for the B B.Encre. Otherwise, if you're a neutral lover ad it's working for you. probably I'd stick.

I must say there's a lot of merit in a very slowly built collection. It allows you get to know the models/sizes/colours/combos. I have bought new and preloved, after 10 years I have (soon to be) 12 bags and I'm pretty happy. I know that if I'd taken half of the bags offered they'd be 30-40 unused, pretty bags sitting on a shelf somewhere. There'll always be another bag.
I meant H raising prices at the store. I know the resell market is flooded. I just read Rebag is opening 30 more store so I can just imagine the Birkins flooding the market. You’re right though. Slow and steady is the smart way. After my next bag I going to really try and ban myself.

Reactions: papertiger
Hermes does make bags other than Birkins, Constances and Kellys.

Is your interest only in high end prestige bags?

You might like to consider a style that will allow you to use a bag through out the year, regardless of weather and also with greater convenience.

Honestly, If I’m going to spend as much as I do for Hermes I’m getting the big 3. I also don’t care for their other bags. As far as different luxe brands I like Chanel. I carry my Chanel mini Square 90% of the time.

Reactions: pinksandblues