The Acne Thread: Share your stories, products, & tips!

I had great skin until I turned 18. Now at 23 I'm still getting hormonal acne on my chin/mouth/ cheek area. I can hide it pretty well, unless I have a bad one but I hate having to always wear makeup. Because if the pimples weren't bad enough they leave a flat red mark so I look like I have pimples when I might have none or 3. I'm going to my dermatologist for another issue and I'm gonna ask about how to get rid of the marks.

I currently use dermalogica products. Some from the medibac line as well as the microfoliant everyday. I really like this company. I also started sing smashbox cc cream which does seem to be lightning the marks.

Anyone know how to get rid of these red marks?

I had great skin until I turned 18. Now at 23 I'm still getting hormonal acne on my chin/mouth/ cheek area. I can hide it pretty well, unless I have a bad one but I hate having to always wear makeup. Because if the pimples weren't bad enough they leave a flat red mark so I look like I have pimples when I might have none or 3. I'm going to my dermatologist for another issue and I'm gonna ask about how to get rid of the marks.

I currently use dermalogica products. Some from the medibac line as well as the microfoliant everyday. I really like this company. I also started sing smashbox cc cream which does seem to be lightning the marks.

If you mean hyperpigmentation, the only thing to do is use concealer and wait. Mine fade completely after several months.

I just wanted to do a slight update and another product recommendation.

I went through a really stressful 2-3 month period which made my skin revert back to my uber stressful law school days. I also suspected that a new moisturizer (Korres Wild Rose Moisturizer) was a culprit and have since stopped using it. I went back to Michael Todd's Citrus Cream Moisturizer and my skin has gotten significantly clearer everyday since using it. Right now I'm just healing from hyperpigmentation, but just 3 weeks ago I had 2-3 active breakouts.

Just wanted to recommend Michael Todd products as they've been pretty much helping my acne clear up and I had substantially clear skin when I used all his products (cleanser, toner, & moisturizer). Not sure what magic stuff is in his products and I'm not sure why I even bought a new moisturizer :noggin:, but it definitely helps my acne & I'm so grateful!

^^Since I got no response, I went to Target and picked up a cheapo apricot scrub . I'll see what it does.

nooooo stop using this!

Although it will make your skin feel smooth after use, it is absolutely NOT good for it. You are basically taking mini shards of nut and creating micro tears in your skin. In the long run, you are doing a lot of damage. Nuts/sugars/salts all these are bad scrubs for your face because of the jagged edges. Instead, if you need a mechanical exfoliant, use something with beads. But even better, is a chemical exfoliant (AHAs/Glycolic Acid) which will give you REAL results that you will notice within days, if not overnight

Red marks are my biggest PITA. It sucks because right when one is fading, I'll get another breakout in the same area and so my skin never really has time to completely heal.

The best thing you can do is sunscreen, first and foremost. All day, every day, even when it is cloudy.

I use a Vitamin C serum, BHA exfoliant and AHA exfoliant and my skin "heals" faster then when I didn't use these products.

Red marks are my biggest PITA. It sucks because right when one is fading, I'll get another breakout in the same area and so my skin never really has time to completely heal.

The best thing you can do is sunscreen, first and foremost. All day, every day, even when it is cloudy.

I use a Vitamin C serum, BHA exfoliant and AHA exfoliant and my skin "heals" faster then when I didn't use these products.

Thank you SO much! I use the CC cream and it seems to be fading them as well, and it has sunscreen. I'm realizing how important that is now.

nooooo stop using this!

Although it will make your skin feel smooth after use, it is absolutely NOT good for it. You are basically taking mini shards of nut and creating micro tears in your skin. In the long run, you are doing a lot of damage. Nuts/sugars/salts all these are bad scrubs for your face because of the jagged edges. Instead, if you need a mechanical exfoliant, use something with beads. But even better, is a chemical exfoliant (AHAs/Glycolic Acid) which will give you REAL results that you will notice within days, if not overnight

Some people may have better luck with synthetic exfoliants such as micro beads, but it's never been as effective for my skin. My flakey patches are still there! :sad: I think the key to any exfoliating product however, is to apply gentle pressure to the skin no matter what product you're using.

On another note, the legislature in NY has proposed a law that will ban the sale of products with those synthetic exfoliating beads because they're very bad for the environment. Not sure if other states will follow suit (they said they are pitching the law to other states though), but if they do it will be harder to purchase such products in the future if the other states adopt the law too.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help everyone but I just started using Cliniques Laser focus Repair and it has done wonders for my skin. Not only is my skin really soft, it has cleared up all my clogged pores. It actually helped reduce the size of my pores. I use to get like 2 to 3 pimples a week! now i get like one to two pimples a month. But those are hormonal. i do know this ..lol. Anyway, if you get those little skin colored bumps from makeup and gunk in your pores...This stuff will take care of it!! I use this product 2x a day like the directions say. I saw results within the first week. I have been using it now for over a month and my skin looks very clear, smooth, and my makeup goes on way better. Hope this helps anyone :smile:

Not sure if this will help everyone but I just started using Cliniques Laser focus Repair and it has done wonders for my skin. Not only is my skin really soft, it has cleared up all my clogged pores. It actually helped reduce the size of my pores. I use to get like 2 to 3 pimples a week! now i get like one to two pimples a month. But those are hormonal. i do know this ..lol. Anyway, if you get those little skin colored bumps from makeup and gunk in your pores...This stuff will take care of it!! I use this product 2x a day like the directions say. I saw results within the first week. I have been using it now for over a month and my skin looks very clear, smooth, and my makeup goes on way better. Hope this helps anyone :smile:

Are you talking about millia?? Gosh it's SO ANNOYING to get rid of those!! I have them mostly under my eye area and I just wrote it off as a lost cause since the eye area is so delicate. If you have millia in your undereye area as well, do you mind sharing whether the product worked in that area?

Are you talking about millia?? Gosh it's SO ANNOYING to get rid of those!! I have them mostly under my eye area and I just wrote it off as a lost cause since the eye area is so delicate. If you have millia in your undereye area as well, do you mind sharing whether the product worked in that area?

Hi! my bumps were mainly on my forehead and some on my cheek area. My left cheek seemed to be worse. I do not have any bumps on my eye area. So if millia is only around the eye area then i guess i did not have it. I have oily skin and I think i get these bumps as a result of it. I also was using different brands of makeup like Hourglass and smasbox. I no longer use them. I use Bobbi Brown foundation instead. Plus i use Lancome primer or Givenchy. These do not break me out. I was told there is an exfoliating agent in this stuff so i think thats what helped. You can try this but if not i have heard a warm compress for millia around the eye area works. I know a few years ago i had a small hard clear bump by my eye. I did this 2x a day for about 5 days and it was gone. You need to get the compress very very warm though. As warm as you can stand it ..lol. Leave on till it cools off. repeat for 15 minutes. gl :smile:

Thank you SO much! I use the CC cream and it seems to be fading them as well, and it has sunscreen. I'm realizing how important that is now.

the biggest healer is time. It sucks, but if you can prevent breakouts in that area, you'll see the marks fade, several months from now. I hate that it takes so long. I too want to cover them up in the meantime, but scared to try new foundations/tinted moisturizers/bb/cc in case they break me out!

Hi! my bumps were mainly on my forehead and some on my cheek area. My left cheek seemed to be worse. I do not have any bumps on my eye area. So if millia is only around the eye area then i guess i did not have it. I have oily skin and I think i get these bumps as a result of it. I also was using different brands of makeup like Hourglass and smasbox. I no longer use them. I use Bobbi Brown foundation instead. Plus i use Lancome primer or Givenchy. These do not break me out. I was told there is an exfoliating agent in this stuff so i think thats what helped. You can try this but if not i have heard a warm compress for millia around the eye area works. I know a few years ago i had a small hard clear bump by my eye. I did this 2x a day for about 5 days and it was gone. You need to get the compress very very warm though. As warm as you can stand it ..lol. Leave on till it cools off. repeat for 15 minutes. gl :smile:

Thanks for the warm compress tip! I've never tried a warm compress in an attempt to get rid of millia. I will try it and see if it helps any!

the biggest healer is time. It sucks, but if you can prevent breakouts in that area, you'll see the marks fade, several months from now. I hate that it takes so long. I too want to cover them up in the meantime, but scared to try new foundations/tinted moisturizers/bb/cc in case they break me out!

I have no idea why I break out honestly. It started when I turned 18 and they are the cystic pimples. I had it well, but I don't know how to prevent them. I wish something would. All I can do now is treat them and cover them up.