The 2021 School Year and Coronavirus

Plus cloth masks are more comfortable. My 4 year old wears a cloth but my 2 older wear KN95s. They only wear KN95s in school. On the weekend they use cloth masks. We mostly do outdoor activities.
I have to disagree. Cloth masks stick to your face and muffle your voice. Plus they aren’t as effective (maybe 20% filtration efficiency compared to the 98% efficiency of a KF94). You can get 100 KF94 masks for $88–that is cheaper than a daily coffee.

I have to disagree. Cloth masks stick to your face and muffle your voice. Plus they aren’t as effective (maybe 20% filtration efficiency compared to the 98% efficiency of a KF94). You can get 100 KF94 masks for $88–that is cheaper than a daily coffee.
I have had different experiences. My 4 year old won’t put on the KN95. My older ones wore cloth masks outside all summer at camp and said that they were comfortable. Both my older kids had to get used to the KN95s. I also wear a KN95 whenever I enter a store- they cause me to sweat and break out. I never have issues with cloth masks when I am outside.

I canʻt do cloth masks anymore... I wind up sucking them in and they make my face sweat like crazy. The origami style kf94 or kn95 disposable masks work so much better for me. My DH canʻt use any of the disposable styles.. they are all too small for his face. He doubles up a gaiter for work and has some custom-made extra-large cotton origami masks made by a relative.

At school, I have a wireless mic hooked to speakers and it has made a huge difference for instruction. I was wrecking my throat trying to project so loud over the masks and a/c wall units. I have to clip the lapel mic on my mask or use the little handheld version right up in my face though. I got it last year for hybrid but didnʻt use it since we were mostly virtual and I only had the occasional 1 or 2 students in the room with me. Our school is looking to get some for all our teachers, but thatʻs a slow boat.

Millie had someone in her class test positive for COVID last week. The student was in class on Wednesday, developed symptoms that night, and then got the positive results back on Friday. We were notified Friday when the school found out and her classroom is closed until tomorrow at the earliest with a negative PCR test dated Monday of this week or later. So far none of the other kids have tested positive which is great, but it's definitely been a worry! I had a PCR for Millie Sunday and then another today. First was negative thankfully! It is a worry but I feel like her school has handled it well.

I canʻt do cloth masks anymore... I wind up sucking them in and they make my face sweat like crazy. The origami style kf94 or kn95 disposable masks work so much better for me. My DH canʻt use any of the disposable styles.. they are all too small for his face. He doubles up a gaiter for work and has some custom-made extra-large cotton origami masks made by a relative.

At school, I have a wireless mic hooked to speakers and it has made a huge difference for instruction. I was wrecking my throat trying to project so loud over the masks and a/c wall units. I have to clip the lapel mic on my mask or use the little handheld version right up in my face though. I got it last year for hybrid but didnʻt use it since we were mostly virtual and I only had the occasional 1 or 2 students in the room with me. Our school is looking to get some for all our teachers, but thatʻs a slow boat.
Has your husband tried the BOTN masks? They’re bigger than most. So are the LG Airwashers.

Millie had someone in her class test positive for COVID last week. The student was in class on Wednesday, developed symptoms that night, and then got the positive results back on Friday. We were notified Friday when the school found out and her classroom is closed until tomorrow at the earliest with a negative PCR test dated Monday of this week or later. So far none of the other kids have tested positive which is great, but it's definitely been a worry! I had a PCR for Millie Sunday and then another today. First was negative thankfully! It is a worry but I feel like her school has handled it well.
I’m glad that she tested negative. It must have been a relief! Being a parent right now is very stressful. You are definitely not alone in that feeling. I also glad that you feel the school is doing everything it can to keep your family safe.

I’m glad that she tested negative. It must have been a relief! Being a parent right now is very stressful. You are definitely not alone in that feeling. I also glad that you feel the school is doing everything it can to keep your family safe.

Yes, it's such a stressful time right now for all parents I think!! She tested negative twice and everyone else in her class tested negative aside from the one student as well. It definitely shows that masks help stop the spread!

I'll send her back next week :smile:

What a relief for you and Millie's classmates! Itʻs great when schools do that due diligence. It seems like our school handles cases like theyʻre assuming all students are masking "correctly & consistently" and consider close contacts to be 3ft, 15min+ but I work with high schoolers and Iʻm constantly reminding them to pull masks up over their noses, so 6ft or whole class would be a better assumption for close contact.

Has your husband tried the BOTN masks? They’re bigger than most. So are the LG Airwashers.

Thank you for the suggestions...are they bigger than Dr. Puri? We've tried those in large and while they are big on me, they are still too small for him.

If I had little ones, I’d keep them home. Covid is running rampant in our school from K all the way to fifth grade. My school is pretty clean -tons of wipes, sanitizers, hepa filter and I use Lysol spray and wipes even though we’re not supposed to. I do it when the students aren’t around. But the parents keep sending their sick kids to school. I have three students in quarantine and some returning. Everyone wears a mask and we separate but I still caught a bug this past week from one student who came in on Monday with a “leaky faucet” of a nose. She spread it to half the class and me! I sent her to the nurse yesterday and they sent her back to class! Plus I had a student from another class in my room who tested positive. No letters are being sent home. I’m pretty sure they want to keep the numbers low so no one panics and to make the school look good (no Covid stigma or whatever). My friend told me she had a student quarantine for 10 days and then her Mom sent her back to school with a cough and runny nose because”she missed too much school” Really?? I know a lot of people used to believe kids can’t spread the virus but that’s false. I’m a witness to it.
I agree I would not send a 4 year old to school even before covid. When they turn 16 they don't even remember their "4 year old friends" Just have activities set up
for them daily. "Going on A Bear Hunt"
and fun books learn their letters and numbers and do crafts and songs. Spend
time and take care of your kids.
Why does it matter if they like their "friends" they also like icecream everyday. Keep them safe and go have nature waks eberyday. What I wouldn't give to have every moment back with my older kids.
Enjoy them when they are little!

Reactions: canto bight
I would not send a 4 year old to school even before covid.

No matter your drumbeat of advocacy posts here, others will make and thrive by different assessments concerning school. With the orthodox advocates it's as if they personally discovered homeschooling: it's been around forever, literally.

Upsetting to hear of positives at schools, which I'm hearing widely in my state as well. I wish everyone safety during this stressful time, and especially hope for a quick approval of vaccines for kids.

Last edited: