The 2020 Squaring H Cost per Wear V 'HG' Thread

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
It's 2020.

A year of history in the making, not always for the positive reasons, yet, by its numerological value/icon quite symmetrical, balanced and square.

Following on from https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...most-used-scarf-most-memorable-scarf.1026040/

we found that favourite/covetable scarf/scarves are not always the most worn.

Moving away for scarves,

State your squared-off comments on H bags/SLGs/other

You most used H item

Versus

Your most prized H item:

1+1. How do you square your H cost-per-wear, most useful item in terms of desirability?

2. How do you square your most HG, covetable item (often displayed as art) in terms of wearability?

2 + 2 = Add these comments together and square with your H-abit?

Ah, OK

Just our own H logic to bridge the extremities of our collection.

So,

Couldn't fathom the Evelyne for many years. Couldn't deal with the Huge H, unlined, holes, uber casual. Then realised many were carrying it back to front and I could carry the more covert way, use a pouch, then came the ghw.

So cost per wear, not my most aesthetically beautiful bag but I haven't taken it off since bought last year.

On the other hand

1940s pristine and historic Black P. croc Pullman. Only carried at H events or very special days (competing against other formal bags).

H Logic squared:

The cost per wear of the Evie is now negligible, it's working for me, whereas I am the custodian of the croc Pullman and must care for it as though an heirloom/museum piece.

Ah, OK

So,

Couldn't fathom the Evelyne for many years. Couldn't deal with the Huge H, unlined, holes, uber casual. Then realised many were carrying it back to front and I could carry the more covert way, use a pouch, then came the ghw.

So cost per wear, not my most aesthetically beautiful bag but I haven't taken it off since bought last year.

On the other hand

1940s pristine and historic Black P. croc Pullman. Only carried at H events or very special days (competing against other formal bags).

Logic squared:

The cost per wear of the Evie is now negligible, it's working for me, whereas I am the custodian of the croc Pullman and must care for it as though an heirloom/museum piece.
Ok Love this!!!
I am going to think on it and post mine in a bit!

Ooh how fun!

My most used H bag is my mini bolide in fauve barenia. I found it randomly on a trip to Hawaii tucked away in a display case on the shoe floor. It’s such an easy and carefree bag to use, incredibly understated, and that barenia leather just feels so luxurious to me everything I touch it. Plus barenia is great for rainy days. It’s my go-to bag for quick errands and casual outings.

Even though it’s not one of the trifecta, the barenia factor ups the desirability significantly.

VS

My most special bag is my newly acquired Birkin Faubourg B20 sellier. Since it is limited edition, by its very nature it is considered rare and coveted. The craftsmanship on it is absolutely exquisite. It truly is a work of art. I do plan on using the bag but I foresee it will be more of a special occasion type of bag, reserved for outings where I can fully dedicate one hand to it since it is strictly hand carry only.

H logic squared:
The mini bolide fulfills my functional needs as well as that H thrill since it is barenia, and the cost per wear at this point is nil. The Birkin Faubourg is less functional and I need to baby it more given its nature, but it is such a unique collector’s piece that I can justify the cost of it with my H logic lol.

Most used H bag: Citynews (in black Togo/Sombrero leather). This bag is casual and practical and I use it almost every day. Cost per wear will probably end up being negligible.

Most prized H bag: Sac a Depeches (in luscious black Clemence leather), used only on more formal business occasions. Cost per wear will remain high but that's OK. It makes me feel like million bucks and that's priceless.

H logic squared: no logic involved to be honest, just love.

Most used H bag: Evelyne TPM in Bleu Électrique, followed very closely by the same bag in Gold. Some of this is of course because of the pandemic: not much of a nightlife happening and running around very casually! Cost per wear: negligible, especially as they aren't incredibly pricey to start with.
Pre-pandemic I would add in both black Birkins, the Togo B35 and the Chèvre B30. The B35 has also achieved (relatively) negligible cost per wear as I have had it a few years. I think now it is supplanted by the B30 and may go to a new home one day, but it was all worth it :heart:

Most prized/most special: Awww this is tough. It's one of these:
- K25 sellier Chèvre in Raisin with BE stitching and lining (a special order, a birthday surprise from my SA, and I absolutely love it.) This bag I do carry. Cost per wear will still be outrageous but ok.
- K28 sellier in Rouge H Box from 1980. My first Kelly, preloved obviously. I just adore this bag. It's so beautiful to look at, but I rarely carry it because it's in perfect shape. I guess it's like @papertiger's croc Pullman - I am its custodian. It was not very expensive relative to its condition - it would be 30% more today preloved and more than 3x the price at retail - so I don't feel I need to justify it so much. If I had paid boutique price, I would sell it as I could not justify it simply being a thing of beauty.
-B35 Barenia. I absolutely love this bag and they are rare, especially when mine came in; I just think Barenia is outrageous and I have to forget what it cost. This is a forever bag that I will hand down in my family, so I am figuring the cost per wear will even out when I'm about ninety :smile:

H logic squared: I actually feel ok about almost all my bags as I have edited out almost every one that doesn't get used/that doesn't make me jump for joy. I've even rehomed a special order because I really overestimated the size of bag I could carry off, and passed on a few really amazing bags even though it hurt. I'll finish the edit when life returns to normal. So, I guess I feel as logical as any of us can :blush: :lol:

Ooh how fun!

My most used H bag is my mini bolide in fauve barenia. I found it randomly on a trip to Hawaii tucked away in a display case on the shoe floor. It’s such an easy and carefree bag to use, incredibly understated, and that barenia leather just feels so luxurious to me everything I touch it. Plus barenia is great for rainy days. It’s my go-to bag for quick errands and casual outings.

Even though it’s not one of the trifecta, the barenia factor ups the desirability significantly.

VS

My most special bag is my newly acquired Birkin Faubourg B20 sellier. Since it is limited edition, by its very nature it is considered rare and coveted. The craftsmanship on it is absolutely exquisite. It truly is a work of art. I do plan on using the bag but I foresee it will be more of a special occasion type of bag, reserved for outings where I can fully dedicate one hand to it since it is strictly hand carry only.

H logic squared:
The mini bolide fulfills my functional needs as well as that H thrill since it is barenia, and the cost per wear at this point is nil. The Birkin Faubourg is less functional and I need to baby it more given its nature, but it is such a unique collector’s piece that I can justify the cost of it with my H logic lol.

Perfect H-logic.

That mini Bolide sounds a m a z I n g, carrying something so gorgeous every day is what H is all about, and yes the tiny B a collector's item.

Most used H bag: Citynews (in black Togo/Sombrero leather). This bag is casual and practical and I use it almost every day. Cost per wear will probably end up being negligible.

Most prized H bag: Sac a Depeches (in luscious black Clemence leather), used only on more formal business occasions. Cost per wear will remain high but that's OK. It makes me feel like million bucks and that's priceless.

H logic squared: no logic involved to be honest, just love.

Oh I love the City Bag, unfortunately too heavy for me for everyday (I already have 2 large bags). I'm so pleased to know someone is workin' it with that bag. Sac Depeche and absolute classic, a heritage style, I am determined to get one one of these days.

Most used H bag: Evelyne TPM in Bleu Électrique, followed very closely by the same bag in Gold. Some of this is of course because of the pandemic: not much of a nightlife happening and running around very casually! Cost per wear: negligible, especially as they aren't incredibly pricey to start with.
Pre-pandemic I would add in both black Birkins, the Togo B35 and the Chèvre B30. The B35 has also achieved (relatively) negligible cost per wear as I have had it a few years. I think now it is supplanted by the B30 and may go to a new home one day, but it was all worth it :heart:

Most prized/most special: Awww this is tough. It's one of these:
- K25 sellier Chèvre in Raisin with BE stitching and lining (a special order, a birthday surprise from my SA, and I absolutely love it.) This bag I do carry. Cost per wear will still be outrageous but ok.
- K28 sellier in Rouge H Box from 1980. My first Kelly, preloved obviously. I just adore this bag. It's so beautiful to look at, but I rarely carry it because it's in perfect shape. I guess it's like @papertiger's croc Pullman - I am its custodian. It was not very expensive relative to its condition - it would be 30% more today preloved and more than 3x the price at retail - so I don't feel I need to justify it so much. If I had paid boutique price, I would sell it as I could not justify it simply being a thing of beauty.
-B35 Barenia. I absolutely love this bag and they are rare, especially when mine came in; I just think Barenia is outrageous and I have to forget what it cost. This is a forever bag that I will hand down in my family, so I am figuring the cost per wear will even out when I'm about ninety :smile:

H logic squared: I actually feel ok about almost all my bags as I have edited out almost every one that doesn't get used/that doesn't make me jump for joy. I've even rehomed a special order because I really overestimated the size of bag I could carry off, and passed on a few really amazing bags even though it hurt. I'll finish the edit when life returns to normal. So, I guess I feel as logical as any of us can :blush: :lol:

I feel the love you have for your bags both sides of the divide. All 3 of your most prized/special sound like the equivalent of fine art in the accessory world, even my imagination is no match for your Raisin/BE stitching SO gift, if ever there was a unicorn...

Most used H bag: Pre-Pandemic my gold/orange Double Sens tote 45cm. This tote for me was very functional ,practical, and The cost per wear is pretty low. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon, so that I can enjoy using it again.

Most prized H bag: My 32cm vintage Gulliver Kelly. This beauty is in great condition for its age, sometimes I take it out of the closet and just admire it (crazy I know) The beauty of this bag made me fall down the Hermes rabbit hole. The cost per wear is high I’ll admit, as I use it on special occasions but it does not matter to me. Purchasing it at auction was so worth it! I own a work of art.

H logic squared: I really like the Double Sens, funnily enough, I didn’t think I would use the bag as much. My Kelly I can justify the high cost per wear, the craftsmanship is just:girlsigh:

Most Used H Bag: I have a few H bags that are in regular rotation. My alezan vache liegee kelly 32, bleu marine courcheval kelly 32 and 30cm chocolate birkin are regular work and travel bags during the precovid days while my etoupe Evelyn, gold deep blue Constance, black mini lindy and anemone 2020 bag are my go to weekend/casual bags.

Most Prized H Bag: it’s hard for me to pick just one, but these are the ones I treasure so much that they haven’t seen much mileage.
Vert Fonce Toile Kelly Lakis
20cm tangerine chèvre mini kelly
28cm Gold Kellygraphie
25cm lime birkin
30cm violine ostrich birkin
35cm framboise chèvre Mysore birkin
Black box kelly longue

H logic squared:I have been collecting H bags for 15 years and my philosophy has always been buy only what you love. When I look back at my purchases, I don’t have any regrets and actually glad that I purchased most of my bags early on given the yearly price increases. Some of my prized H bags took some time to get a hold of but that makes them even more special to me.

Ah, OK

So,

On the other hand

H Logic squared:

Absolutely love this. You’re making me think I need to call my SA just to get me a darned Evelyne already! How did you pick a color? I’m struggling with that.

Oh interesting thread dear PT. I went through many H bags and found my most used bags are shoulder vs. hand carried. Weight is also an issue fir me and I really avoid conplicated closure bags. So I’ve edited any bags I don’t use, but there are three or four that I cannot give upbecause of color, rarity of leather and I just plain love them no matter if they meet any cost per wear, period.

My most used bag has been easy to grab cross body bags like the Massai Cut, it has two strap lengths and is etoupe. I travel with this bag too. Next come three mini roulises which I will throw in a larger tote if going to meeting or office.

My most special bag is a special order kelly in blue nuit and electric blue with brushed palladium hardware. It makes me cry every time i see it because it is so well crafted and the best of H bags. I don’t use it as much due to the weight, sometimes awkward to carry on shoulder or cross body, and the not so easy straps and lack of exterior pockets for phone use.

The bags that I can’t bring myself to let go are vintage Chevre bolide 31 in raisin, mini chevre trim in rouge vif, and ardoise box plume with toile.

How do i square this? H craftsmanship is so rare and lovely, I can’t even look at buying any other bags by other designers save an LV backpack or Longchamps tote when it rains. And since SIP, none on my bags are getting much use at all.

But I do feel I am very squared with my collection and am not really interested in trying out new bags because honestly as I get older I am in a constant editing mode of things I don’t need or use!