Books & Music That's It?: Books Whose Endings Left Much to be Desired

LADC_chick

African violet
O.G.
Dec 13, 2009
Tangerine's post in the "books you could NOT finish" thread got me to thinking: Which books have you read (finished, actually) that made you think, "Did I really just suffer through this book for that?" or "I can't believe the writer did that"? In essence, you were (to be kind) underwhelmed or disappointed.

If you could tell why you were underwhelmed/disappointed/annoyed without giving away the ending, that would be nice.

I mentioned Vanina Marsot's Foreign Tongue in the other thread. I'm sure I'll think of other books, but this one sticks out in my head because I read it last year. The ending just seemed to come out of nowhere, and I didn't think it satisfied everything that had come before it. It seemed like the author did what she did simply because she could, and I was sooooo annoyed! I mean, there are twists, and then there's what she did.

I felt that way recently when I read "Wicked". I was so excited to have finally found it here (Mexico), only to be disappointed hugely by both the story AND the ending. Not worth it for me!

Most of Stephen King's books. That said he is still one of my favorite writers. I loved The Dome, almost all 1100 pages, but the ending?? Meh.

Hehe, Stephen King, too with The Dark Tower Series. I read all seven books, they were a great escape, then came the ending...lame-o!

Also, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. I mean, COME ON! Give that family a break... plus, no matter how needy or how full my boobs are, I would not (especially as a teenager/young adult) breastfeed a stranger.

^to ming :lol: his special ability: Ming Reading ...oh yeah :tup:

Stephen King - It (how could it end with a giant spider...puleeeeezzz)

Lol, just goes to show that I cannot type and talk to someone at the same time.

Cindi ~ I haven't read The Dome because of reviews about the end being terrible.

If you like Stephen King you should read The Dome. It was a really great book overall, don't let the ending put you off. The ending was "just ok" while the rest of the book was great. 900+ pages of great, 100 pages of meh. LOL Definitely worth reading though.

Lol, just goes to show that I cannot type and talk to someone at the same time.

Cindi ~ I haven't read The Dome because of reviews about the end being terrible.

I completely agree with the Stephen King comments. That man cannot end a story. It seems like he is trucking along with all these great ideas and then *BAM* aliens.

^Oh my! That is a strange one.

I might have to check out The Dome after I finish the outlander series. It just sucks knowing the ending from reading the reviews.