That Rogue Has Padlocked My Heart - Come and See!

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I have never been interested in the idea of putting a lock and key on a bag, like you see on some designer bags, it just seemed like a nuisance and an affectation - and frequently my bags are more valuable than the stuff inside that I would be locking up!

But I recently revealed my first (and so far only) regular Rogue in Dark Denim 38124 and I really love this bag, but I must admit that it bothered me to have a keyhood but no key and nothing to lock! It seemed almost like a flaw or like the bag was unfinished. I thought about removing the keyhood but it is part of the rogue persona and so I left it in place (see the pic below).

I know that the first generation rogues came with a functioning lock and key but they were deleted from later versions because of complaints about the weight. I can understand that because the rogue is a heavy bag, but it still bothered me a little to have the keyhood without a lock.

I finally decided to buy a padlock and key that could be used to secure the 2 large zipper pulls on the top of the bag, see picture below.

But it wasn't easy to find the perfect lock. I wanted it to be small, light-weight, functional, decorative, and inexpensive! A lot of small locks are ugly or heavy or flimsy or non-functional or pricey.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that when you start searching for small, decorative, functional padlocks - you will quickly find yourself on websites for bondage and BDSM products - I'm not judging, I'm just giving fair warning!

I finally found just what I wanted in the Rowans Originals shop on Etsy. The owner makes beautiful, heart-shaped, finished, functional padlocks in small, medium, and large sizes. I sent her a picture of my bag and some dimensions and she recommended the medium padlock, see the link below.

It only cost $7.50 ($11 with shipping) and it is exactly what I wanted and just perfect for my lovely rogue! I will post photos of the lock and key in the next message.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/126021...d-gold-colored-working?ref=shop_home_active_6

RogueDenim_013.jpg

RogueDenimDecorated_003.jpg

Last edited:
Here are front and back pictures of the padlock and key and they are very nicely made. Together they only weigh 20 grams (about 2/3 of an ounce) so they don't add weight and you can see that when closed the lock is only about 1.5 inches long - just the right size!

It was quite a struggle to attach the key to the ring in the keyhood and I will post pics of that next.

Padlock_002.jpg

Padlock_003.jpg

Padlock_001.jpg

Interesting!

I admit I find locks and keys a bit of a nuisance on anything except checked luggage. While "interesting to have", I don't even use the locks and keys on my LVs and have never been in a situation I felt a need to lock my handbag to keep pickpockets out (and if someone wants something in the bag that badly, they will just take the entire bag and cut it open anyway!). So the fact that any of the Rogues I have do not have a lock or key has not bothered me.

I've come to the conclusion that the small, split ring inside the keyhood on the later generation rogues is just for show and not expected to be functional. You cannot pull it very far out from the keyhood, and it was really a chore, involving needle-nosed pliers, to force the key onto the ring - and when I got it on it just stuck out funny and you couldn't use it very easily or close it inside the keyhood as you can see in the first picture below.

So it was another struggle to get it back off the ring and then I used a short ball chain to attach and enclose it inside the keyhood as shown in the 2nd and 3rd pics below.

I will post pic of the padlock on my bag in the next message.

Padlock_008.jpg

Padlock_004.jpg

Padlock_005.jpg

Last edited:
So here you can see how the padlock looks on my bag and I think it is just lovely!

I will probably just leave it attached to just one of the zipper pulls as I don't actually intend to lock up my bag, but now my bag looks complete and unflawed and I am satisfied!

View attachment 3819102

View attachment 3819103
So cute! What a great idea! I actually like the lock and key on my first generation, so I may go for this.

Love! I like little DIYs to really add that personal touch to a bag. I also like that it's tasteful and doesn't overwhelm the beauty of the bag itself. The key is kind of like your little secret too...well, ours now ;)

Really reminds me I need to buy some ball and chain spools in various colors, I just haven't figured out there would be the best place to get them.

Love! I like little DIYs to really add that personal touch to a bag. I also like that it's tasteful and doesn't overwhelm the beauty of the bag itself. The key is kind of like your little secret too...well, ours now ;) Really reminds me I need to buy some ball and chain spools in various colors, I just haven't figured out there would be the best place to get them.

Thanks, and I'll bet that you could find some decorative ball and chain sets! :lol:

Reactions: okdot
Interesting! I admit I find locks and keys a bit of a nuisance on anything except checked luggage. While "interesting to have", I don't even use the locks and keys on my LVs and have never been in a situation I felt a need to lock my handbag to keep pickpockets out (and if someone wants something in the bag that badly, they will just take the entire bag and cut it open anyway!). So the fact that any of the Rogues I have do not have a lock or key has not bothered me.

When I first bought my colorblock Rhyder 33 (33919, see pic below) it annoyed me that it was decorated with blank hangtags. Again it seemed like a flaw or that the bag was unfinished. I guess the idea was that the design and quality of the bag speaks for itself and it doesn't need labels - but apparently they have changed their minds about that approach because the word "Coach" is etched or stamped on multiple surfaces on my Rogue! I actually think they went overboard with the branding on the Rogue and under-board on the Rhyder! Maybe they should try for moderation next time!

I actually thought about having something stamped on the blank hangtags, like my initials, but I didn't want to damage my Rhyder - so I just learned to live with it; but the padlock can be removed without damaging the Rogue so I'm okay with that!

Rhyder33_11.jpg

Last edited:
That is just the cutest lock/key -- looks great on your bag! And your warning about this internet search cracked me up!

I am thinking of getting my initials engraved on the plain side of the lock. My husband has the same first and last initials as me and the gift card I used to buy the bag was a present from him, so the initials could have a secret, double meaning! :heart:

My own response to Coach's over branding!

Last edited:
Reactions: K.E.W.
I am thinking of getting my initials engraved on the plain side of the lock. My husband has the same first and last initials as me and the gift card I used to buy the bag was a present from him, so the initials could have a secret, double meaning! :heart:

My own response to Coach's over branding!
What a cute idea!

Reactions: katev
I'm curious as to why you say the Rogue is over branded. Apart from the hangtag, there's nothing anyone can really see that would indicate to them that it's a Coach bag. The etching on hardware is so tiny.

Reactions: JVSXOXO