That moment when someone knocks your purse to the ground

annilynedr

O.G.
Sep 29, 2008
Yup, vernis alma bb is sitting on a chair next to me yet somehow this woman knocks her to the floor and there's a big thud! I hastily checked her all over to make sure there were no scuffs or scrapes but still... My heart sank and I wanted to scream..... Anything like this ever happen to you?

In vet's office this morning--
2 men let their 3 extremely muddy & unruly great pyrenees dogs run wild.
I had to shove a filthy snout off of my mulberry bays repeatedly, before the pawing started & I lost my cool.
Thank goodness for collonil--no damage!

I was in the post office and this woman comes in with three rotten little children who immediately start running wild, sticking all the air mail stickers everywhere and throwing the cards all over the floor.

One crashed into my bag. Then another one copied him and did the same on purpose. I gave them a good glare (the stink eye - as we call it) :P

Yup, vernis alma bb is sitting on a chair next to me yet somehow this woman knocks her to the floor and there's a big thud! I hastily checked her all over to make sure there were no scuffs or scrapes but still... My heart sank and I wanted to scream..... Anything like this ever happen to you?

How does that even happen? She obviously wasn't very careful.

In vet's office this morning--
2 men let their 3 extremely muddy & unruly great pyrenees dogs run wild.
I had to shove a filthy snout off of my mulberry bays repeatedly, before the pawing started & I lost my cool.
Thank goodness for collonil--no damage!

Oh my! You're brave for taking your bag to the vet! I have a specific bag and wallet for dog outings for that reason (and my fur kid loves to lick, and I don't want him getting a... taste for premier designers)

basically it's an assault course out there.

I've seen worse than I've experienced

Scene set: A shop called Josephs
Action: Shopping

Kid > ice-cream > ice-cream hands

> Bags > sheepskin coats > suede shirts (anyone seen Bugsy Malone's final custard pie scene?)

Close-up on mother's unconcerned face chatting away on phone.

Cut to Papertiger and BV Pourpre python bag leaving swiftly by first available exit route :doggie:

It depends on the actual kind of situation. Naturally I will be annoyed and my heart will break for my darling. But if the other person has very valid reason, like handicap or lateness or old people who walk unstable, etc, I can extend the forgiveness. As much as is possible, my philosophy is human beings over material.

Oh my! You're brave for taking your bag to the vet! I have a specific bag and wallet for dog outings for that reason (and my fur kid loves to lick, and I don't want him getting a... taste for premier designers)

So much of my life involves this type of insanity--if my bags didn't share it with me, they'd just languish in a closet! :smile:

NO! That is awful! I can't believe the women didn't even apologize. But then it's probably the same person that wouldn't say excuse me as she runs you over. Luckily, I haven't had my bag fall on the floor but I have had people move it. It makes me so mad. I have managed not to scream at the person "WHY ARE YOU TOUCHING MY STUFF!!!!". So far..but no guarantees. Most of my guy friends understand not to touch a women's purse. I have one friend that just doesn't get it. One of these days he's going to get the screaming. Then he will learn. I hope.

I have learned through stories on here to not put my purse in situations where it may get knocked down or bumped into. Sometimes you can't help it when in a crowded area, but I take as many precautions as possible.

When sitting, bag on lap or bag behind me on my chair. No reason for anyone to knock it over. If a free chair is available, with plenty of other free chairs, then I can put it on the chair. But even that doesn't stop people.

When in public places, especially when I have to wait in a line, I keep my bag in front of me. I understand if it's at my side, it could be side swiped by people so in front of me is where my bag goes.

I'm usually understanding if someone needs a chair, or the bumping into is an accident. But when it's purposeful or due to rampant, unsupervised children, I get slight annoyed and will try to remove myself of the situation.

Then again, I just don't like people touching my stuff. lol. There's also people who are jealous and vindictive and want to ruin other people's happiness. So I just keep everything near me so there's no opportunity for anyone to knock over/touch/damage my bag.

So much of my life involves this type of insanity--if my bags didn't share it with me, they'd just languish in a closet! :smile:

You're probably right. Have come pretty close at a wedding or two where there were a few too many beverages consumed at the reception, and other guests were being a bit too liberal with gesticulating with full glasses of red wine.

I was thankful I managed to save my Jigé clutch from a baptism but cant say the same about some silk Choos that carry a little red spot to this day. It was a fun night though.

Handbags are meant to be used and these events are a regular part of life... Part of the reason why I don't have high-end designer bags... I couldn't really enjoy them if I walked around mean muggin' anyone that walked remotely close to me...

Handbags are meant to be used and these events are a regular part of life... Part of the reason why I don't have high-end designer bags... I couldn't really enjoy them if I walked around mean muggin' anyone that walked remotely close to me...

This brings up an interesting point--what if we REMOVE handbag value from the above situations?
If a stranger knocked to the floor, without apology or thought, ANY VALUE handbag--would that be offensive to you?

I think rude & self-centered BEHAVIOR causes damage, on many levels.
That's how I interpreted the OP's theme, here--how do we deal with others' inexplicable nonsense, while still enjoying & protecting what we value personally?
But, just my opinion.

This brings up an interesting point--what if we REMOVE handbag value from the above situations?
If a stranger knocked to the floor, without apology or thought, ANY VALUE handbag--would that be offensive to you?

I think rude & self-centered BEHAVIOR causes damage, on many levels.
That's how I interpreted the OP's theme, here--how do we deal with others' inexplicable nonsense, while still enjoying & protecting what we value personally?
But, just my opinion.

If someone accidentally knocked any bag of mine to the floor without apologizing I would find that *very* rude. But if the person apologized, I wouldn't be upset with him/her.

People can be clumsy & sometimes make mistakes. I try to be gracious to people in those situations, as I want people to extend their forgiveness to me when I screw up.

Self centered behavior is very frustrating and can be harmful. But knocking over a bag (as opposed to a living being) seems relatively small in the scheme of things.

It really depends on the circumstances and it's usually obvious if it's deliberate or simply an accident.
I can't fathom how a woman if she is healthy and has eyesight could pass by a baby Alma and knock it over -- she must have been a big *bull* of a woman :smile:

There have been two times in my life I remember where someone made a beeline at me, nearly knocked me over just to get past me. It was very deliberate and very rude! I learned to perceive if it's going to be happening... I can spot trouble behind me too, weird but true.

I think bag owners develop a radar when something is about to happen to their bags :smile: