That Leather Smell is Missing

miyake0214

earthling
O.G.
Dec 16, 2009
I just bought a Togo Jypsiere from a Hermes boutique but I am a little bit curious why I could not smell that sumptuous smell inherent in new leather bags.

Could you please tell me if this how Hermes leather is like nowadays. I am addicted to the brand new leather bags' smell and I am quite depressed:biggrin: not to be able to give my olfactory sense the gratification.

When I bought a pre-loved epsom Kelly, I can still sniff the leathery scent.
I am surprised that a new bag would be almost odorless.

Years ago, I bought a brand new Togo Trim that had a very faint-to hardly any smell at all. But my gently pre-loved Kelly in Togo still had some of that intoxicating smell when I got it.
I used to have a new Togo Birkin that blew me over with the smell when my SA first opened the box. I guess it just depends on the particular skin?

Miyake - I love the smell of leather too and you're right about missing the smell in the new bags. I tried on a new Garden Party at the store and don't remember that there is a strong smell too.

There is an aerosol spray for autos called New Car Smell! :biggrin:

Now, maybe if we can convince Hermes to market something similar (in different fragrances: BARENIA! TOGO! CLEMENCE!) we could go around in a cloud of luxurious leather scent. Maybe we could even spray it on our non-H items - or on ourselves!

"My, that's an intriguing fragrance you're wearing...."
"It's TOGO BY HERMES!"

Now, maybe if we can convince Hermes to market something similar (in different fragrances: BARENIA! TOGO! CLEMENCE!) we could go around in a cloud of luxurious leather scent. Maybe we could even spray it on our non-H items - or on ourselves!

"It's TOGO BY HERMES!"

:biggrin:
btw, I love the smell of my box kelly

"It's TOGO BY HERMES!"

Just perfect!!

To OP, you should have given the bag the sniff test at the boutique if the smell is that important to you.

Years ago, I bought a brand new Togo Trim that had a very faint-to hardly any smell at all. But my gently pre-loved Kelly in Togo still had some of that intoxicating smell when I got it.
I used to have a new Togo Birkin that blew me over with the smell when my SA first opened the box. I guess it just depends on the particular skin?

Hi Greentea: thank you for sharing your posting your experience here. :smile:

Miyake - I love the smell of leather too and you're right about missing the smell in the new bags. I tried on a new Garden Party at the store and don't remember that there is a strong smell too.

chkpfbeliever:
That is the first thing I did. Sniff, sniff sniff. Oh well. But the bag is beautiful. I will wait for your reveal:smile:

"It's TOGO BY HERMES!"

Clutchbag
: Aren't you lucky not being around me after reading your comment. There was a thunderous sound all of a sudden. Harharhar

Just perfect!!

To OP, you should have given the bag the sniff test at the boutique if the smell is that important to you.

Thanks GK. will do. In the meantime, let me run to an Auto Center to get a leather spray to spray on myself while marveling at jypsiere. Clutch just gave me an :idea: to fill up the void.:graucho: :nuts:

there is an aerosol spray for autos called new car smell! :d

now, maybe if we can convince hermes to market something similar (in different fragrances: Barenia! Togo! Clemence!) we could go around in a cloud of luxurious leather scent. Maybe we could even spray it on our non-h items - or on ourselves!

"my, that's an intriguing fragrance you're wearing...."
"it's togo by hermes!"

ita !!

Wow, is that the case for new bags? I agree the smell is one of the "attractions" of H bags I'll be disappointed too if it's missing.

Some of my older bags still have a strong leather smell after 3 years!!!