Thanks to admins re: SOPA.

Yeah, one thinks that when one doesn't own copyrights.
Its not about censorship, its about respecting what someone has invested money in the ownership & creation of something. But most people are confused about that. Inform oneself & read it.

Its about how people feel entitled to stealing other people property. These internet companies are so protective of their own websites & their ownership & yet they don't grant that same respect to others who spent the time & money to create something.
Greed, I want mine & yours too.

This is a pretty in-depth explanation of SOPA/PIPA by CNet:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57329001-281/how-sopa-would-affect-you-faq/

I think the security issues mentioned in regards to DNSSEC are of concern, as well as deep packet inspection of ISPs (which is basically monitoring your internet usage), and taking down an entire website for a single infringement - even if only one page has an infringement, and even if it's unintentional - for example, you post a YouTube video that has copyrighted material (such as a TV playing an NFL game in the background). That game is copyrighted and even though you didn't intend to show that in your video, theoretically you could be prosecuted.

I know they need to find a way to target pirate sites and those that allow copyrighted content to be distributed - and I'm totally cool with that - but this is far-reaching and has more implications than just shutting down those websites.

Admin: Is this crossing the political line that we are told not too cross as forum members? You know, the rules. Just wondering. This could lead to some trouble.

You are right, normally we take a stance against having any political discussion on tPF.

Today however, I decided to join the broad opposition to raise awareness against the Protect-IP Act that would introduce censorship and undermine freedom of speech.

Our PurseForum could --like many, many other sites online we all visit, participate in and love-- easily become subject to being shut down, should this bill pass.

You are right, normally we take a stance against having any political discussion on tPF.

Today however, I decided to join the broad opposition to raise awareness against the Protect-IP Act that would introduce censorship and undermine freedom of speech.

Our PurseForum could --like many, many other sites online we all visit, participate in and love-- easily become subject to being shut down, should this bill pass.

:tup:

I'm in Canada so don't get a vote but this whole SOPA thing is a ton of bull...I hope they don't pass it because I can see it going the way of the middle east and their censorship of western culture and internet sites. If it passes I just don't see any good coming from it.

I had refrained posting about this earlier despite numerous news articles from a wide range of sources.

All I'll say is that I fully support the protests against corporate greed.

I'm sorry but since I'm not from the US, I don't know what SOPA means... Is it kinda like PETA or something...????

When I saw it, I thought tpf was hacked... Is everything OK? Is this ad here with the permition of tpf???

I'm sorry but since I'm not from the US, I don't know what SOPA means... Is it kinda like PETA or something...????

When I saw it, I thought tpf was hacked... Is everything OK? Is this ad here with the permition of tpf???

Click the AD and you'll be directed to the website where you can read about it =)