Thanks to admins re: SOPA.

Eva1991 said:
Thank you! If this act passes by the Senate, then tpf wil be shut down?:wtf:

Not just tpf, but also Facebook and Wikipedia (any site with user-contributed content) will be in danger of shutting down because the law is written so badly and broadly.

I'm in Canada so don't get a vote but this whole SOPA thing is a ton of bull...I hope they don't pass it because I can see it going the way of the middle east and their censorship of western culture and internet sites. If it passes I just don't see any good coming from it.

None of us gets to vote. Our representatives do, which is why there are links to contact them for those of us who wish to be heard. The bill is scheduled for hearing January 24. :flowers:

But there is a petition for non US citizens that will go to the State Department...

http://americancensorship.org/modal/state-dept-petition/index.html

Thanks for the info! Since, I'm not from the US, I didn't know anything about it. It has never been discussed in my own country's media. I hope that the internet remains as it is. The only thing the internet needs, IMO, is more protection from hackers and pervs.

Thanks for the info! Since, I'm not from the US, I didn't know anything about it. It has never been discussed in my own country's media. I hope that the internet remains as it is. The only thing the internet needs, IMO, is more protection from hackers and pervs.

Certainly so.

This issue is also globally relevant because the US acts in many ways (in particular in matters of the WWW) as a role model for the rest of the world.

What passes here as law may become law in other countries soon thereafter.
This can not become a precedent for how Internet content is policed/controlled by media corporations.

Even artists don't support it:

Today I’m happy to report that a number of our colleagues at major national arts service organizations have joined the cause. This morning a second letter was sent to Senate leadership, co-signed by The Association of Performing Arts Presenters, Chorus America, Dance/USA, Fractured Atlas, National Alliance for Media Art and Culture, National Alliance for Musical Theatre, National Performance Network, OPERA America, and Theatre Communications Group.

This formidable coalition represents tens of thousands of American artists and arts organizations. We’ve come together on this issue to say not in our name. We believe in copyright. We oppose piracy of intellectual property. But SOPA and PIPA are the wrong way to address this problem.

http://www.fracturedatlas.org/site/blog/2012/01/18/more-arts-groups-sign-on-to-oppose-sopapipa/

You are right, normally we take a stance against having any political discussion on tPF.

Today however, I decided to join the broad opposition to raise awareness against the Protect-IP Act that would introduce censorship and undermine freedom of speech.

Our PurseForum could --like many, many other sites online we all visit, participate in and love-- easily become subject to being shut down, should this bill pass.

Gotcha. When I read the banner my heart skipped a beat because I immediately thought, "Uh oh, this is going to open a can of worms". I am glad to see so many here in support of opposing this ridiculousness.

Looks like even Google is in support:

google1.jpg

This leaves me wondering... Who is in support of this bill? :shrugs:

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 226
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    91 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture 7.png
    Picture 7.png