Terrific Messenger Bag for Travel

Kathy K

O.G.
Feb 24, 2006
I am going to France on vacation this fall, and really wanted a lightweight bag that could hold my stuff and withstand a bit of abuse. I have a Balenciaga messenger, but I didn't want to travel with a bag that big and, more than that, didn't want to carry a bag that I had to worry about getting dirty or scratched.

I found this bag at Luna Boston (lunaboston) and thought it was just PERFECT. It arrived in the mail yesterday, and is exactly the right size to hold my stuff, has both a handle and a cross-body messenger strap, and is really lightweight. With the 20% discount, it was $148, which I thought really isn't a bad price.

Just thought I'd mention it for anyone else wanting a kick-around all purpose bag. Comes in other colors too!

Attachments

• Tano.jpg
    Tano.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 75
Hi Kathy K! You've brought me out of lurking to write my very first post! Thanks!

We will be going to France and Switzerland also, though we're going next year (hopefully, the dollar will rebound a bit more by then...) and I have been searching for a bag as well. Like you, one of my biggest concerns is finding a leather that will hold up well to travel and sight-seeing. Which leathers would everyone recommend I look for which would hold up in various types of weather? I should mention that I do not mind AT ALL if my purses get some scratching, since I feel they add to the character of a bag. (I love patent, but realize that it looks worse for wear after a while.) Also, I am considering buying an Ignes since all of the lovely gals in that thread seem to glow about them. With the great selection of Ignes leathers, I'm sure I'll find something both suitable AND gorgeous! Any recommendations from the many happy Ignes owners?

Thanks in advance for helping this clueless newbie!

It looks great! What brand is it?

Sorry, New Obsessions, it's made by Tano, and it's called the "Three Fer" (because of the three front zippers, I presume). It also comes in a pretty cool blueberry and a reddish color.

Welcome to our obsessive little playground, HikerChick! I travel fairly frequently, and have really fallen in love with messenger bags since they leave your hands free. As noted in my original post, I have a Balenciaga, but I don't like wearing good bags when I'm on the kind of trip where I can't be babying my stuff, and read that the museums in France make you remove larger bags and put them in a coat closet (maybe someone who has been recently can clarify). I liked this one because it's big enough for a paperbook, ipod, etc, but not big enough that anyone is going make me take it off. Also, because it is a reasonably inexpensive bag, I don't have to worry much about it.

To answer your question about what kind of leather is best for travel, mostly I just look for leathers that won't scratch, aren't too thin, and are lightweight. NO patent for trips, and no bags that can't get rained on. Also, no light colors, since they can get dirty. Good luck on your search for Ignes -- you've certainly come to the right place to find all the pros!

...the museums in France make you remove larger bags and put them in a coat closet (maybe someone who has been recently can clarify).

Thanks for the info Kathy K! I don't know about the museums in France but I've been asked to check my larger handbags in stores! HikerChick I've been looking for a messenger bag for travel as well. I've checked out Tumi and Harvey's seatbelt bags. It's hard to decide! Now I have Tano to think about!

Thanks so much for the great tips, Kathy K! I'm used to lugging a pack when I hike, so I'm sure that a light bag will feel like heaven! And you sent chills up my spine at the thought of having to leave my designer bag in a coat closet... YIKES! The Tano messengers may fit the bill nicely, especially with that sale at Luna Boston for tPF'ers... truly a perk!

New Obsession! You are ahead of the game on those seat belt bags! Did you catch Project Runway last night? Those bags would look perfect with Korto's design! The Tumi's are lovely... but I would want one of the suede messengers, and that would be a disaster waiting to happen. I may end up going with an Ignes mini Chiara in a dark chocolate or maybe a bordeaux leather, since the Chiara has the cross-body strap. I should hop over to the Ignes thread and run it by everyone.

Thanks again for the great help! Have a lovely evening!

YAY Tano!!!!!!! For all of you ladies that are liking this bag... we have a Tano subforum on tpf! You will find oodles of information there about tons of messenger bags, hobos, etc made by Tano!

Totally cute three fer... I think you might be the first of us to own one.. you should definitely post pics over in the Tano sf!!