Terrible Experience at Barney's Chicago!

I do agree with BellaFiore - the problem isn't that she didn't know, it's that she was unwilling to admit that. I work in a bookstore, and obviously I'm not familiar with every title I sell, but I'm always willing to do some research for a customer to be able to answer their question as well as I can. There's never anything wrong with telling someone you don't know the answer to thier question but would be happy to find out for them.

The problems come when people like this SA either refuse to acknowledge that they don't know the answer or just assume that you don't know what you're talking about.

You should certainly contact the manager and tell her that although you were seriously considering purchasing a bag there, you will be taking your business elsewhere due to the inexcusably poor service you received in that store.

Aww...thanks BellaFiore. It did leave me feeling a little bit burned. It's quite possible that the woman was just rude, and that it had nothing to do with my age or anything, but in these types of situations I sometimes can't help but "read into" the incident.

You're 100% right though. In contrast, I walked into Bloomingdales 10 minutes later and spent a measly $30, and the SA was soooo amazing. First, he spent a good half hour tracking down a pair of jeans for my friend, and then another 20 minutes finding the dress I wanted in the correct size. We ended up spending 40 minutes talking to the SA about the contemporary art scene in Chicago! He was so kind and engaging.

Some people are just kind of worthless I guess...

Gosh, why couldn't she just have said "I don't know but I would be happy to find out that information for you", or something? Trying to cover one's ignorance by acting superior only makes one look more ignorant!

Aww...thanks BellaFiore. It did leave me feeling a little bit burned. It's quite possible that the woman was just rude, and that it had nothing to do with my age or anything, but in these types of situations I sometimes can't help but "read into" the incident.

You're 100% right though. In contrast, I walked into Bloomingdales 10 minutes later and spent a measly $30, and the SA was soooo amazing. First, he spent a good half hour tracking down a pair of jeans for my friend, and then another 20 minutes finding the dress I wanted in the correct size. We ended up spending 40 minutes talking to the SA about the contemporary art scene in Chicago! He was so kind and engaging.

Some people are just kind of worthless I guess...

I have been in this situation many times. I am positive it had nothing to do with you personally. So good to hear you had such a pleasant encounter with another SA just after that. I'm sure that wasn't a coincidence.;)

Gosh, why couldn't she just have said "I don't know but I would be happy to find out that information for you", or something? Trying to cover one's ignorance by acting superior only makes one look more ignorant!

It's so funny.... You would think anyone sensable would reply this way. With how much I have learned about Bbags, I can't tell you how many times it seems SA's just make up information. It's laughable really. Even nice ones.
I just smile inside and thank them for their help.

mayrain, obviously with what you describe, talking to a manager seems reasonable. But, you know, the older I get I realize this lack of respect and decency from people in general is becoming a more frequent occurance. One thing I wanted to get accross was, but maybe didn't in my last post was... making a manager aware of their employees behavior and lack of customer skills is probably appropriate. Although, in my experience sometimes when you have employees that treat customers this way it's due to a lack of management. Sometimes complaints to managers fall on deaf ears. KWIM? I know not always and managers do appreciate customer feedback generally so the problem can be fixed. You should look, there have been threads here about poor service at BalNY. No place or business is exempt, no matter how much we spend.

Best advice I can give in this situation which I try everyday to remember... Don't let someone elses bad day or bad attitude change the way you feel in that moment and leave you so upset. I have wasted so much time being upset in my life by strangers who don't owe me anything by the way they have or haven't treated me. Just my thoughts.........

Great advice BellaFiore!!!:yes:

Mayrain, I can totally relate. I walked into the one snooty store in Brussels that does carry them and granted I was dressed down... they had a huge pile of bags just stacked on them of each other, in all different colors - dream! Just like Deco's photo. Well of course, I needed to check out the feel of the leather, look at the GH close up, etc. And I was SNOOTILY told by the SA, you can't touch the bags!!! Has anyone been told this? Are you not allowed to TOUCH b-bags before buying them? It wasn't like I was man-handling them or anything!? How do you expect me to plonk down over 1000 bucks without freaking TOUCHING the bag??

I go to that Barney's every time I go to Chicago - about once a month - and agree that every SA I have met there is completely clueless to BBags... one also insisted that the Purse did not exist (& they DID have one in Ink!), but never had one be that rude! yikes!

:yucky: that is just dispicable behavior for an SA...sorry that you experience that, I would be livid!!! :cursing: next time, ask to speak to her manager...she should not be able to continue treating customers in that manner!!

I hate it when people try to make you feel like inferior. Key word is try! Don't let that silly person get you down.

To contrast this story I was in the Barney's in Dallas and Adrianne was the NICEST sa I have ever met there. I was really tired, and my feet hurt by the time I made it to the Northpark Mall. I went to Dallas with some friends that haven't been in a while, and we went to every store...atleast that is what if felt like. I probably didn't look the nicest, I was in jeans and a t-shirt. She was really nice, even though I told her I was not there to buy, just to look at their stock. She was around my age..(Mid-twenties) so I dont know if that made a difference.

I just hate it when one or two SA's ruin a store's reputation.

Oh my gosh that's just awful. I was planning to go to Barneys in Chicago to check out a Bal bag in person. I was apprehensive since places like that typically look down at my demographic - young and minority. It'sfunny is that they act like they're the millionaires but we're the ones buying the thousand+ $ bags. I don't know if I will go. Maybe take my chances and just buy one without seeing it up close and personal. Well if you plan on going back there maybe we can go together since I am in Chicago. You know...do battle against evil SA's.

Oh my, my. They shouldn't let people like that on the floor- you'd think that Barney's would require that their SAs have some sort of knowledge about the product they are selling! I might swing by this weekend - maybe she'll want to help me with a motorcycle bag too :rolleyes: .