Tennis bracelets, too young?

qwerty098

Nov 15, 2013
Hi ladies, I’m looking to customise a tennis bracelet which is in my dream list for the longest time. I’ll be turning 30 next year and I’d like to get it for myself as a milestone bday present.

Would you consider 30 too young to be wearing tennis bracelets? I attached the picture of the one I have in mind. I usually only wear my pink gold Cartier love bracelet and a pair of diamond studs.

Another thing I really need advice is on the certificate. I’ll be getting it from an independent shop which I’ve previously gotten the studs from. I was okay with getting the studs from them because it came with the GIA cert. What would the bracelet come with? A certificate that shows it’s of natural diamonds?

I would really appreciate getting any advice! Thank you AF14DEA1-BC83-43CA-813A-81032B472AD1.jpeg

Lovely bracelet and you're not too young...TB are always classic! Your jeweler should supply a certificate (GIA) stating the carat weight, color and clarity, metal type (18KT, 14KT, PT), ask if the stones are enhanced. If you insure, you'll need this plus most jewelers should supply this for your records.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and qwerty098
Hi ladies, I’m looking to customise a tennis bracelet which is in my dream list for the longest time. I’ll be turning 30 next year and I’d like to get it for myself as a milestone bday present.

Would you consider 30 too young to be wearing tennis bracelets? I attached the picture of the one I have in mind. I usually only wear my pink gold Cartier love bracelet and a pair of diamond studs.

Another thing I really need advice is on the certificate. I’ll be getting it from an independent shop which I’ve previously gotten the studs from. I was okay with getting the studs from them because it came with the GIA cert. What would the bracelet come with? A certificate that shows it’s of natural diamonds?

I would really appreciate getting any advice! Thank you View attachment 4808445

I hope not, I was given a (modest) tennis bracelet when I was 15.

Tennis bracelets go back to the 1930s when they were called 'in line'. They were called 'tennis' after an incident involving Chris Evert and her own in line bracelet. Naturally, that news item promoted the style so they become synonymous with the era when she actively competed. IMO they are both classic, Deco and modern. It will be interesting to know what others think of this style.

Globally by law, diamonds for sale are not allowed to be called just 'diamonds' unless they're natural. All enhancements should be openly displayed - but yes, double check by asking as it can have implications later even for future cleaning.

If they are lab grown (even if one or a proportion are used) it should be clearly stated in labelling and the paperwork. Lab grown will usually be 'too good' to be true, e.g. colourless or flawless and for too good a price. Watch out for brand names that indicate stimulants or diamond-like words - but 'diamonds' should mean natural diamonds.

Actually, small/smallish round diamonds that are just fairly clean to the eye shouldn't be a crazy price.

The hallmark will indicate gold purity but it also indicates the general standard of diamonds too. They use better quality diamonds in higher grade metal. That's just how it is. Jewellers don't tend to 'waste' 18K and plat on lower-cost diamonds. Look for a good weight of gold/plat too, a light bracelet may feel nice on the wrist, but it's often where they place the mark-up because they know the focus for most customers will be on the stones.

Check all bezels/claws (do you say prongs in US?) under a magnifier glass, diamonds need to look and feel 100% secure. Any crooked claws, dented bezels or anything that moves at all needs to be looked at.

Stones under a certain ct weight may not get a full report including a clarity characteristic plan (like you may have for your studs) and full break down, and they will have been tested prior to being mounted.

Edited to say: Major purchase = take your time

Last edited:
Thanks for replying my jeweller said they’ll do a general certificate to show the tennis bracelet and diamonds are natural, if im okay with this. I was quoted for 900 plat and 0.15 carat each D-F colour, VS quality. Would this be too good grade for a bracelet? Should I go lower on the clarity?

Apologies for so many questions, there’s no one I can consult this with except on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and papertiger
Thanks for replying my jeweller said they’ll do a general certificate to show the tennis bracelet and diamonds are natural, if im okay with this. I was quoted for 900 plat and 0.15 carat each D-F colour, VS quality. Would this be too good grade for a bracelet? Should I go lower on the clarity?

Apologies for so many questions, there’s no one I can consult this with except on this forum.

No that sounds solid. There's no better colour(less) than D (alphabet starts there) and VS should be clean to the eye.

Plat is also good with such colour(less) stones. For comparison, my less-expensive version is yg. Jewellers often put stones with more yellow (m-z) in yg as on wg/plat you'd see the yellow more.

Your bracelet to-be sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks so much for explaining it to me

No that sounds solid. There's no better colour(less) than D (alphabet starts there) and VS should be clean to the eye.

Plat is also good with such colour(less) stones. For comparison, my less-expensive version is yg. Jewellers often put stones with more yellow (m-z) in yg as on wg/plat you'd see the yellow more.

Your bracelet to-be sounds absolutely gorgeous!

Reactions: papertiger
You’re definitely not too young for a tennis bracelet. We’re the same age and I received one with similar stats as yours as an engagement gift 2 years ago. It’s the perfect size and looks good stacked with love or a watch but also substantial enough to wear on its own.

I think it depends on your own personal tastes. I’m 30 and personally feel that it is too older-ladyish for me but I wouldn’t think that if I saw someone else my age or younger
wearing one. I’d think it’s beautiful. It just isn’t for me at this time.
You’re definitely not too young for a tennis bracelet. We’re the same age and I received one with similar stats as yours as an engagement gift 2 years ago. It’s the perfect size and looks good stacked with love or a watch but also substantial enough to wear on its own.

that's what I think too! But great to hear that it's a good size for when I eventually feel ready for it.

No, not too young. .15 diamonds are a good size for most wrists - not too flashy, not too subtle. My mom's bracelet is roughly that size and it suits her 6" wrist for daily wear. If you've tried it on in person and want a bigger size, then you could compromise and ask for eye clean SIs.

Melee diamonds like those do not typically come with GIA reports. While you may trust your jeweler, it's always good to verify a big purchase with an independent appraiser who can confirm the 4 Cs for you. If you plan to use your purchase receipt for insuring the bracelet, you can ask the appraiser for a verbal appraisal, which should be cheaper than a formal one meant for insurance or resale purposes.

I may have posted this before, can't remember. I had a tennis anklet made for my wife when we got married over 20 years ago. As for it being too 'young' it still looks great today and sees quite a bit of use in the summer months.

Resize of Gold Anklet.JPGResize of New Dress 0012.JPG

Reactions: higabanya