tempermental cat

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
My older kitty, Noche, has always had a mind of his own and been difficult to handle. When I adopted him from the shelter I had to sign a waiver because he snapped at the "prison guard" there. But he was so cute and interactive I just couldn't let them euthanize him. He's our difficult baby now. He was about a year old when we got him and now he is about ten years old. He has settled down a lot but still rules the roost over our younger kitty.
Taking him to the vet is a nightmare. He just doesn't want anyone doing anything to him. This cat-i-tude has gotten worse the older he gets. I have to sneak up on him to put Advantage on him.
So basically I don't take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary.
Anyone else have a kitty like this? I wish I could find a vet who has magic touch with kitties. For now, I just hope he stays healthy.

Have you considered asking for a light sedative for when you have to take him to the vet?

I know it's not ideal, but I used to have a cat like the one you are describing and it made it a lot easier on both of us when the vet gave me a sedative he could take a few hours before coming. It made the entire experience a lot more relaxing for me, the cat, and the vet.

If you don't want to go with an actual sedative, you could try rescue remedy: http://www.healthsuperstore.com/p-b...escue-remedy-stress-relief-for-pets-10-ml.htm

I volunteer at a cat shelter and we use this when we have new cats come in. It's been effective for most of them!

Last edited:
When I gave my cat an actual sedative, I normally broke it in half and mixed it in with his food. He was kind of a glutton so he was happy to eat anything.

Rescue Remedy is really easy. If you get in drop form (I think there might also be a spray), you can just put some drops on the treat, food, or water and have them eat/drink it.

Yes! Just before christmas I took on a mom & her 4 4 week kittens. I knew from the very beginning how nervous she was - she appeared to be extremely tired & would drift off before realising she was in unfamiliar surroundings which made her uneasy, unsafe & precautious, at that time she would flinch & try to keep herself up. I decided I would bring myself a cup of tea, sit beside her until she had no other choice... she began to settle down & after 30 minutes she'd wake up knowing I was still there, & noone was going to harm her.

She never ever left her room & when we'd come in to give her food or clean the litter trays she'd run & hide - she was just absolutely terrified.

My mom & brother were not so aware of this or they just didn't take it seriously & on 2 occasions attempted to stroke her. She'd hiss, scratch & bite - she was the full works!... nobody was allowed or wanted to touch her from that moment onwards.

I admit before I was completely aware of just how much she was frightened of human contact I attempted to stroke her myself. First time, okay, second time, BAD. It left me quite emotional. I've never dealt with a tempermental cat before. I've never been scratched, bitten or hissed at. I think she felt my sadness, as she lowered her guard & sat beside me, sympathetically (I could be wrong).

Week by week she started appearing in the doorway of her room, then out in the corridor... she'd sneak into the room beside it (the restroom) & then out on the landing at nights. I'd talk to her alot & just sit with her.

It made me so happy to see her progress. She remained completely frightened of any other human contact, I just couldn't see her being rehomed with anybody else. I just couldn't imagine anybody else would want to adopt a cat that's so unnaturally frightened, causing her to be so agressive.

People adopt cats expecting them to be all cuddly & playful... Cleopatra was not your cuddly & playful kind of cat. Whatever she's had to deal with in her life has left her pretty petrified of people, noises & being left outside alone.

I adopted her a couple of months ago, along with two of her kittens. She's a great mom & her improvements are something I can only appreciate & be happy for. She answers to her name now, follows me, curls up on the end of my bed & allows me to stroke her. She plays with her kittens & is now learning to play a little with me!

I think it's lovely you've managed to keep a temperamental cat. Not alot of people would or could cope with that, so he is very lucky to have you!

I have no idea how I'm going to get a collar on her, de-worm & flea her on my own. I can't pick her up & she has crazy claws I wish I could cut!!

Last edited:
Yes! I have a deaf, Diabetic boy named Malcolm and he is a demon if anyone but me tries to do anything to him or if I take him out of the house. A year ago he ripped a toenail off and had to be seen by the vet. She gave him a shot of Torbugesic, it is a pain killer. She gave him a bit more than is necessary to control pain and in about 20 minutes he was a bit out of it. He yowled at her kinda half heartedly when she examined his foot and thought about turning his head to bite her but couldn't quite do it. She did her thing and the drug wore off in about an hour with no side effects. My vet is VERY good at handling problem cats. She can do his yearly exam and give his shots with little trouble. Of course she does come to the house which is a huge plus. If your kitty ever needs more vet care than just the basics I would call and ask her what she recommends. Trust me you are not the only one with a problem cat. Your vet will know how to handle it.

i have a cat who goes completely psycho at the vet. we decided this year to try and give him a sedative. i gave him half a pill and i thought all was well.... not so much. the moment we got inside the vet... psycho AND paranoid. then he was so out of it that i had a psycho/paranoid cat ALL DAY LONG at home. it was a nightmare.
luckily we have a family friend who is a vet, so this cat will never be going to a vet again unless it's absolutely needed.
sometimes sedatives can work but sometimes they can totally backfire.
my vet wouldn't even touch him.

he's a lot a bit of a problem child at home... he wants to be lovey dovey but then in a instance he could want to chew your arm off. sometimes i have to get up and walk away because he's in "attack mode". i've tried all sorts of things in the past to try and curb his attitude... but i think it could just be a hormone thing. he's 8 and i've just learn to deal with it.

maybe check to see if there are vets in the area that do house calls.

thanks ladies
Nice to hear from other kitty mommies with "difficult" cats
winglessbird, you went though more than we did with Cleopatra...glad she turned out to be so tame and loving
When we first adoped Noche, in addition to his independent attitude, he has an upper respiratory infection so he had to be isolated from my older, very shy, kitty.
When he came out of isolation it was apparent his high energy would be a problem for the other cat.
We put him on the waiting list for the Helen Woodward no-kill shelter. After a month or so, they called and said the had room for him. Even though they are a no-kill shelter we were afraid that if Noche bit a child, he'd end up being euthanized. So we decide, we being two adults and him being so cute we'd have to keep him.
He loves my DH but occasionally bits and scratches out of the blue.
The vet I was going to in the past had "biter" on his chart.
thanks for all your advice...if I need to take him to the vet, I'll think about the suggestions you all gave

Your kitty sounds just like my Noche. One time when I took him to the vet, I left in tears. I could hear him screaming at the vet techs as they took him to another room.
Fortunately, his at-home behavior is calmer now that he is getting older. But I'm still careful how I approach him.

i have a cat who goes completely psycho at the vet. we decided this year to try and give him a sedative. i gave him half a pill and i thought all was well.... not so much. the moment we got inside the vet... psycho AND paranoid. then he was so out of it that i had a psycho/paranoid cat ALL DAY LONG at home. it was a nightmare.
luckily we have a family friend who is a vet, so this cat will never be going to a vet again unless it's absolutely needed.
sometimes sedatives can work but sometimes they can totally backfire.
my vet wouldn't even touch him.

he's a lot a bit of a problem child at home... he wants to be lovey dovey but then in a instance he could want to chew your arm off. sometimes i have to get up and walk away because he's in "attack mode". i've tried all sorts of things in the past to try and curb his attitude... but i think it could just be a hormone thing. he's 8 and i've just learn to deal with it.

maybe check to see if there are vets in the area that do house calls.

I have a special boy who sounds somewhat like yours. He has never liked to be cuddled, pet, or handled much. He bites and scratches too. Sometimes I am sitting on the couch minding my own business, and he comes up and bites me! I have gotten used to him and I still love him to pieces. He also has separation anxiety which is really strange because when I am around him he bites me but when I am not around he cries for me! He also has had some spraying issues. I got him a playmate and this has helped some of his problems but not cured them.

He does not like the vet too much either. He had a note on his vet record the he "didn't like coming in". He just bites when he is handled in general so the vets have to be very careful when handling him. I just try to warn them that he bites.

I have tried rescue remedy for car travel for him. Surprisingly he is pretty good at car travel with or without rescue remedy. I do not see much of a difference with or without the RR. He meows sometimes on long car rides but that is about it. I have considered antidepressants for his spraying but it has seemed to get better lately since I have played with him more.

Having a difficult kitty can be challenging sometimes but I love my little guy. I know that not many people could be as patient as we are with them. I know he is not the most normal cat but I just want him to be as happy and healthy as possible... I know how you feel :smile:

I have a special needs cat . Missy . She hides under the bed most of the time. She is in love with our older cat. Loves to sleep next to him. We brought her home and she would just hide. Now she sleeps with us and comes out. I can pet her when she is sleeping next to the other cat. She still runs away from us when we get close. She wont come out if she hears strange voices. I have never been able to hold her ever, except for the one time when we brought her home. We sneek pets in when she is sleeping that is our only contact. :sad: I dont know how we are gonna get her to the vet at all. sedate her I guess. I feel your pain. Im being serious but someone told me about kitty meds. LOL. I need to ask my vet about them. Cats gets anxiety too.

My cat, Itchy, is evil too. he's not a cuddly lap cat, and sometimes when he does let me pet him, he'll just bite after like 10 secs. but i still love him (have had him for 6 years and have all the scars to prove it!)
anywhos, he has to be put completely under to go see the vet because he is that crazy, which is why he goes every 2-3yrs. sedatives seem to have the opposite effect on him! so unless he needs to go the vet, he doesnt. he's an inside cat and let him out supervised only in the backyard and then bring him so he doesnt really need to go to the vet as much for shots, advantage meds etc. when i do take him (every2-3yrs) its like a $400 bill bc of the anesthesia and also bc while he is under they will do a full teeth cleaning.

I wouldn't characterize these cats as mean
Neurotic maybe, terrified of the vet...unpredictable
When my vet first met my Nche she complimented me on my excellent choice of a kitty. She said he has a mind of his own but he is very forgiving.