Home & Garden Temperature Set on Thermostat vs. Actual House Temperature

Valeriee

O.G.
Jul 6, 2011
In the summer time, when I turn on my air conditioning and set my desired temperature on the thermostat (usually 23 degrees Celsius0, the temperature is quite accurate in all areas of the house. In the colder months, however, when I turn on the heat, it's always way off. For example, I set it for 22 degrees Celsius today, and when I went around with an electronic thermometer, the actual temperature was only 21 degrees downstairs and around 20 degrees upstairs. I had the furnace examined last year and everything came back fine. This is very annoying because it feels like I'm wasting money on something that isn't being delivered. Has anybody had similar issues?

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Hmm.
I really hope this is a joke. But, know it isn't.

So, I will say that air flows.
Houses have porous, non-airtight building materials.
And a thermostat measures temperature near the thermostat.

Not sure how you'd be wasting money. Unless cooler temps are caused by leaks to caulk. Or stagnant areas needing fans.
Or, perhaps upgrade thermostat/windows/ducting/insulation/roof?
Air-conditioning is just that, not air-perfecting. Same with heating.

Unsure why HUGE panic for 2 degrees. But, then, I've never walked around my home waving a thermometer. :-[
Guess I'm pretty naive.

Hope helps.

Valeriee

O.G.
Jul 6, 2011
Hmm.
I really hope this is a joke. But, know it isn't.

So, I will say that air flows.
Houses have porous, non-airtight building materials.
And a thermostat measures temperature near the thermostat.

Not sure how you'd be wasting money. Unless cooler temps are caused by leaks to caulk. Or stagnant areas needing fans.
Or, perhaps upgrade thermostat/windows/ducting/insulation/roof?
Air-conditioning is just that, not air-perfecting. Same with heating.

Unsure why HUGE panic for 2 degrees. But, then, I've never walked around my home waving a thermometer. :-[
Guess I'm pretty naive.

Hope helps.

Thank you for the reply. I apologize if my post appears silly. It's just that I'm curious why the results with the air conditioning are more consistent throughout the house than with the heating. Also, at our previous house the temperature was also more consistent. When I set the thermostat at a certain temperature, I would have that temperature at least on the main floor.

remainsilly

bye-bye
Aug 15, 2014
Thank you for the reply. I apologize if my post appears silly. It's just that I'm curious why the results with the air conditioning are more consistent throughout the house than with the heating. Also, at our previous house the temperature was also more consistent. When I set the thermostat at a certain temperature, I would have that temperature at least on the main floor.

Aha. Makes more sense, now, thanks. :smile:
Could be placement of thermostat.
Or that new house has some weird niches/corners trapping dead air. Or less insulation.
Heat rises. But cold air falls. Maybe where you are measuring (height) better suited to cooler air than heat readings?

Best luck with it. :smile: