Travel Tell Us Some Must-Do Things in Your Own Country!

azzy

Mar 30, 2007
Hi everyone,

I thought it might be fun if we list some great travel ideas for people coming to our own country, region or city. The locals usually know which are the best trips that don't always make it to the Lonely Planet guides, or the ones that do and are definitely worth it!

So what are some things you would suggest for people to do when they come to your city, state and/or country?

I will go first, I come from Sydney, Australia. My suggestions would be:

* Road trip around Tasmania
* Drive along the Great Ocean Road in Victoria
* Go on a boat in Sydney Harbour
* Sydney day-trip to Palm Beach
* Do the Bondi to Bronte walk in Sydney
* Stay at Qualia Resort on Hamilton Island (cost permitting:graucho:)

Hope this hasn't already been done.

USA

The National Parks

http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

955D538E-155D-451F-671AC31FE65F083E-large.jpg

02411DC8-155D-4519-3EFFE03E80A36036-large.jpg

From Singapore, the guides will tell you to visit Chinatown, Little India, Esplanade, Orchard Road shopping etc. But you must try some of the famous hawker food fare at hawker centres. Google hungry eat where singapore to find out more.

In the U.S. no one should miss the Grand Canyon. Longchamp already said the National Parks and I completely agree, though I've only been to a few. I wish I'd spent more time on trips when I was younger visiting them.

I've been through Smoky Mountain National Park many times, to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. I hope to visit Yosemite and Yellowstone and others if dh's health improves.

If you like big cities.. my top picks in the USA would be:

New York
Las Vegas
Washington DC
San Francisco
San Diego

smaller/medium cities in the USA:
Providence
Boston
Seattle

If you like big cities.. my top picks in the USA would be:

New York
Las Vegas
Washington DC
San Francisco
San Diego

smaller/medium cities in the USA:
Providence
Boston
Seattle

No cities in the Midwest! How about Chicago or Minneapolis? Both are very picturesque with lots of culture and sports and shopping.

I know we all have different opinions, but I always thought that tourists from other countries who see Las Vegas and maybe only one other city get a very skewed picture of what the U.S. is like.

No cities in the Midwest! How about Chicago or Minneapolis? Both are very picturesque with lots of culture and sports and shopping.

I know we all have different opinions, but I always thought that tourists from other countries who see Las Vegas and maybe only one other city get a very skewed picture of what the U.S. is like.

you are so right!! yes.. Chicago for sure..no idea how that slipped my mind :smile:

never been to Minneapolis, so I can't comment personally, but I am sure it is lovely as well

In the U.S. no one should miss the Grand Canyon. Longchamp already said the National Parks and I completely agree, though I've only been to a few. I wish I'd spent more time on trips when I was younger visiting them.

I've been through Smoky Mountain National Park many times, to the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest and Painted Desert. I hope to visit Yosemite and Yellowstone and others if dh's health improves.

Hi Boxermom. Sorry to hear about DH. I hope he gets better too.🐕
Hope you get to the NP's.
Other than trips to Paris I am focusing on USA travel. Parks done, some twice.

I am now going to festivals. I went to the garlic festival and after watching Mike Rowe, next on my list is a watermelon festival.

Longchamp, your post made me smile. Did you go to the garlic festival in Gilroy? That one is near to me and I don't even know if there are others elsewhere. I haven't been myself, but I will put it on the list. Think there is an artichoke festival in Watsonville - love artichokes! I like your idea of festivals!!

Longchamp, your post made me smile. Did you go to the garlic festival in Gilroy? That one is near to me and I don't even know if there are others elsewhere. I haven't been myself, but I will put it on the list. Think there is an artichoke festival in Watsonville - love artichokes! I like your idea of festivals!!

I always count it as a bonus when we're in a community that happens to have a festival going on. It really makes you feel part of the city. We've seen the big hot air balloons in Albuquerque (awesome!)--probably the most spectacular. Accidentally happened upon a Greek Festival in Asheville, NC, and had the best Greek food of our lives (never been to Greece, but for the U.S. it was terrific).

Chicago used to have ChicagoFest and then Taste of Chicago. They're no longer operating and I miss them. In the summer Chicago has a parade or neighborhood party going on every weekend.

Yes it was the one in Gilroy, I'm hooked on large festivals now. Loved it. No to the garlic ice cream though. Drove to Death valley then down to Pasadena for the Rose Bowl Flea market. Fun to see the road runners in death valley. I couldn't get too close, think the garlic odor scared them off!!
The garlic festival to choose was easy, gilroy is world's best.
Watermelon festival is a little harder to choose, there are many.

Artichoke festival is now on my list.

I'm american but live in ireland (DH is irish) so I have 2 lists :smile:

USA-
1-Washington DC (so fun and all the museums are free! I think it is very underrated)
2-Chicago
3-Boston/Cape Cod
4-Disney world (I'm a disney lover, obviously!).
5-NYC but only if you are touring around other places as well

Ireland
1-Cliffs of Moher (as amazing as everyone says)
2-Blarney Castle
3-Galway (during summer)
4-Kinsale (also during the summer)
5-Ring of Kerry

What a great idea for a thread!

I live in Colorado and previously lived in New Mexico, so I would add Denver (and various amazing places in the Rocky Mountains) and Santa Fe to the list of things-not-to-miss in the US of A. :smile: