Tell me why I should/should not get a Sugar Stack ring

PinkKitty2

Aug 24, 2009
The one I am looking at is the "small" one in silver with "rock crystal" - that is clear quartz I believe.

I am trying to attach a pic, I hope it works!

Cons: Seems way overpriced ($550) for just silver and quartz. Also I have been overspending a bit lately. Theoretically you could be able to get something similar for less.

Pros: I reaaaaaallly like it. I haven't seem such a simple ring that is well crafted like this for less anywhere. I would be wearing it as a right-hand ring and can see wearing it daily and loving it for a long time.

Thanks for any feedback!:biggrin:

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Ite...x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+silver+sugar+stack&search=1

I tried this ring on in the yorkdale store, and while I loved it my dilemma was like yours 700 CND for silver and rock crystal? it is pretty on but........ I decided to go with a DY albion onyx and diamond split shank instead :smile:....for the same price

The design is pretty but I agree, Tiffany over-charges for most of its stock and esp. the silver pieces IMO.

The question will be could you get anything equivalent in design from another jeweller? How attached are you to this ring?

I really do believe this ring will have much less resale value than a piece hallmarked conspicuously on the outside. I saw it today actually! I picked up a Frank Gehry torque cuff purely for looks. It is beautiful, and so is the aquamarine version!

I'd consider going for the aquamarine. That stone is the new tanzanite. It will definitely appreciate.

For beauty and craftsmanship I'd go Tiffany all the way. David Yurman's designs are simply too trendy for my taste.

It is pricey considering what you get and practically anything you buy from Tiffany's will not have a re-sale value as high as it's retail price so you can't look at it from that point of view. Like Bitten said above "can you get an equivalent looking design from somewhere else?" Chances are you probably could but you might kill yourself trying to find it or you could just show a picture of it to a jeweler and ask them to recreate it. Keep in mind it is a copyrighted design and Elsa Peretti is an artist who much like any other artist deserves to be credited for her "art."

Thanks all - I went and tried it on last night and did not love it as much in person, it didn't look the same to me as in the picture, the stone seemed pretty small and it's a little disconcerting that there is not a back to it & since the stone is quite clear you can see your finger under the ring. The larger one was just too big for my tastes.

If I could only find a ring that looks like the one in the picture!!!

David Yurman is not quite to my taste, I know a lot of ladies love him, but I don't care as much for the oxidized look of the pieces, I prefer more smooth and shiny silver.

I totally agree that there are certain tiffany pieces that are trademarked, and so you are paying in part for the design and artistry, which can be worth it IMO. And to get the level of quality you are going to pay more for any higher end silver pieces.

For example, I bought my daughter a less expensive charm bracelet (until she is old enough to not lose things so much!) and while it is also sterling silver, the weight an quality aren't even close to tiffany, so there is a difference.

I also don't see myself re-selling jewelry - I prefer to carefully shop around for relatively fewer pieces that I really love, also with tiffany I can see passing it down one day...

i'm sorry, but for $550 USD, that's a lot of money for sterling silver and a crystal just because it's stamped tiffany & co.

consider this, you will be the only one that will know it's by t&co. because the stamp is on the inside, not the out. for that kind of money, i would invest in something more worthwhile like gold & a gemstone that will increase in value over time.

also keep in mind that sterling silver doesn't appreciate like gold does.

Yeah I agree with the others, I think you should shop around for something that's to-die-for. If you're not blown away by it in real life that mark-up isn't worth it at all. I hope you find something great soon!

It's a beautiful ring, I just went ooooo when I saw it from your link. But. It is very expensive for silver and quartz. I have a similar style ring from Sandy Menzies the Jewellers at a fraction of the price. Hope this helps.

No offense Tyler, but the Sugar Stacks rings are Paloma Picasso designs and not Elsa Peretti. Either way, I think you're right.

And let's be fair. The materials cost more than $50, they do make all of their rings to fit the individual stones, the quartz is flawless, and the silver has unparalleled heft to it.

In fact, PinkKitty2, the reason you can see your finger underneath the setting is because the quartz is perfect. If they made a solid back for it, it would be called "foil-backed," a technique Tiffany & Co. would not use.

It still seems overpriced...I think you made the right decision.

A friend of mine has the aquamarine and I admire it every time I see her. I agree, it is overpriced but isn't everything from Tiffany? One idea is you could check on Etsy to see a comparable ring for much, much less. You could also put a request in their alchemy section and artists will offer to make it for you -- they might even tweak the design a bit to make it *yours*. I've done the alchemy before and the results were outstanding.