Tell Me The Truth

classicLVs

Jun 25, 2008
I posted an item back to the seller and the item got lost. now, i filed a dispute on my cc and it was approved. I just found out today that my husband paid for insurance... my question is if you were in my situation, would you claim for the insurance eventhough the credit company credit back the amount on your cc? please give me an honest answer. :smile:

No, definitely not, for two reasons:
1. It's inherently wrong.
2. If you're not that high in the stages of moral development, maybe this will work: You could get caught. This is probably some sort of crime (fraud?), especially if you used USPS. Also it's just bad karma.

no, it takes 4EVER to claim the insurance.

really? just curious bec. i never claim any insurance at all. it just sucks that i kept going to the post office and was asking for the item and no one can give me an answer.. they kept saying that they are not in control of the shipping. paid priority and its been 2 months now... item not receive yet...

What about the seller?? Did you do a chargeback against them, and they are out both the item AND their money? Shouldn't you file a claim with the Post office so you can give the SELLER their money back?

I thought this is a purse forum, not a defraud-how-to's forum. If OP was intending to help the seller recover some of the money, then she should just either do a chargeback or file a claim with the P.O., but not both. That will probably constitute to mail fraud.

Last edited:
Well, when I read her post I am not sure she was trying to commit fraud. [Why not ask her for clarification before attacking her?]

Why did the CC company credit you back the amount? You were doing a return and just proved to the CC that you mailed the item back so they gave you back your money? Was it an item purchased on eBay or from a retailer? If eBay did you do a Paypal claim first? [Give more details]

**** I would say file it and if the PO gives you back the money then call your CC company and see what they advise.

I don't think the P.O. shouldn't have to pay up when insurance was purchased and THEY lost the item. That is what the insurance is for.

THe flip side of this is we don't know what happened to the seller. If your CC did a chargeback and the seller lost the item and the $ that isn't right, but it could be that Paypal reimbursed them anyway.

Somewhere someone lost money, but the P.O. should pay up since they lost the item.

I am not advocating you keep double the money, but the insurance should be used since you paid for it.

I would advise the credit card company and then file the insurance complaint.

Then I would be able to sleep at night.

I personally wouldn't contact the CC until you had insurance money because if you call the CC first and then you lose the claim, it is unlikely the CC will give you back the money a second time or without some serious phone time!

Well, when I read her post I am not sure she was trying to commit fraud. [Why not ask her for clarification before attacking her?]

Why did the CC company credit you back the amount? You were doing a return and just proved to the CC that you mailed the item back so they gave you back your money? Was it an item purchased on eBay or from a retailer? If eBay did you do a Paypal claim first? [Give more details]

**** I would say file it and if the PO gives you back the money then call your CC company and see what they advise.

I don't think the P.O. shouldn't have to pay up when insurance was purchased and THEY lost the item. That is what the insurance is for.

THe flip side of this is we don't know what happened to the seller. If your CC did a chargeback and the seller lost the item and the $ that isn't right, but it could be that Paypal reimbursed them anyway.

Somewhere someone lost money, but the P.O. should pay up since they lost the item.

I am not advocating you keep double the money, but the insurance should be used since you paid for it.

:goodpost:

It sounds lke fraud to me. She says, "please give me an honest answer" at the end of her post. Why would she ask for an "honest answer" for something completely on the up and up? That makes no sense.

Can I just ask: why did you issue a charge-back if you have no proof that the seller ever got their item back? The insurance was to protect you so why not claim the insurance and forget about the charge back?:shrugs:

I have to say(and I mean no offense:heart:), but this is why a lot of seller will not allow returns. I would be livid if a buyer did this to me:sad:. Just MHO.