Tell me all you know about buying a Bays!

I won't be venturing in to London anytime soon though, I hate the crowds of shoppers, and there is apparently a high security alert in place so DH doesn't want me going there.

I won't be venturing in to London anytime soon though, I hate the crowds of shoppers, and there is apparently a high security alert in place so DH doesn't want me going there.
Great! :wondering
we have to go up this Saturday (work for Himself, I go along to keep him company on the drive, bring him sandwiches and have a mooch but this time of year I get ultrastressed - nearly fainted in Liberty's last year.)
I have to go to London's west end for HOF or Fenwicks, so I'm sure I'll be near a Mulberry store too.
If you're at John Lewis Oxford Street, you're within walking distance of:

- Liberty's on Regent St - lovely SA's, nice chap who works on Saturdays who let met try on and deliberate endlessly and tried to advise me
- House of Fraser Ox St - little Mulberry concession, they have the Lookbook etc.
- Fenwicks Bond St - Mulberry just in among the other bags, not all of them chained up if I recall?
- Selfridges Ox St - quite a big Mulberry boutique, helpful SA's (when I bought my illfated Daria, they let me put all my stuff in the bag to try it out)

and the standalone Mulberry stores:
- New Bond Street (large, a bit intimidating, dark with bright spotlights and all the trendy bags at the front, but the "trad" bags live at the back of the store near the till, where it's altogether more cosy - one lovely helpful young male SA in particular seems to work in that bit
- St Christopher's Place aka Gee's Court, off Ox St near Selfridges - smaller shop, less stock obviously but very friendly SAs

Last edited:
Great! :wondering
we have to go up this Saturday (work for Himself, I go along to keep him company on the drive, bring him sandwiches and have a mooch but this time of year I get ultrastressed - nearly fainted in Liberty's last year.)

If you're at John Lewis Oxford Street, you're within walking distance of:

- Liberty's on Regent St - lovely SA's, nice chap who works on Saturdays who let met try on and deliberate endlessly and tried to advise me
- House of Fraser Ox St - little Mulberry concession, they have the Lookbook etc.
- Fenwicks Bond St - Mulberry just in among the other bags, not all of them chained up if I recall?
- Selfridges Ox St - quite a big Mulberry boutique, helpful SA's (when I bought my illfated Daria, they let me put all my stuff in the bag to try it out)

and the standalone Mulberry stores:
- New Bond Street (large, a bit intimidating, dark with bright spotlights and all the trendy bags at the front, but the "trad" bags live at the back of the store near the till, where it's altogether more cosy - one lovely helpful young male SA in particular seems to work in that bit
- St Christopher's Place aka Gee's Court, off Ox St near Selfridges - smaller shop, less stock obviously but very friendly SAs

I'm sure it'll be fine. They probably issue the security alert just to keep everyone on their toes. Personally, I find the thought of crowds of shoppers more scary!

Thanks for filling me in on where to look at Mulberry bags, I'll investigate next time I'm in the area. It'll be quite exciting looking in new places at bags I've never had the courage to touch before!

If you want to buy preloved it's vital you have the bag authenticated on here first =)

Also, there are trusted sellers you can feel safer with. 2.go.2 and mulberrymad to mention two.

For trying on a bays irl, I can highly recommend the Mulberry in Brompton Rd - very helpful! I've never seen alarms on them..

There are good guides on different leathers. So I won't try to sum up what I know about that :P

Have fun choosing your bays!

May I add I also have excellent experience with mylittleboutique.co.uk
The seller is fellow tpf member and regular contributor in this forum so you can be sure her stuff is authentic, although they are mainly pre loved in very good condition though.

If you want to buy preloved it's vital you have the bag authenticated on here first =)

Also, there are trusted sellers you can feel safer with. 2.go.2 and mulberrymad to mention two.

For trying on a bays irl, I can highly recommend the Mulberry in Brompton Rd - very helpful! I've never seen alarms on them..

There are good guides on different leathers. So I won't try to sum up what I know about that :P

Have fun choosing your bays!

Thanks, I'll try that.

May I add I also have excellent experience with mylittleboutique.co.uk
The seller is fellow tpf member and regular contributor in this forum so you can be sure her stuff is authentic, although they are mainly pre loved in very good condition though.

I'll check that out, many thanks!

I was very tempted by that, Slow, as Congo is the most fabulous leather (I have a little Congo Adena, and it's so glossy and smart-looking, I just love that finish). I'm having to be strict with myself "no more Bayss".

Don't despair Sme - you got there with Phoebe .

This a little gem at the weekend
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....728087&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

You're right, of course, Slowhand. I seem to get disillusioned far too easily, and I don't know what I'd do without the support of the wonderful ladies on this forum. I apologise in advance for any erratic mood swings!

That is a lovely bag, I seem to have the knack of missing some real beauties on eBay. I think sometimes when no-one or very few people have bid, I hesitate and miss out on a bargain. Also, it's not always possible to get bags authenticated before the end of listing or before somebody else snaps it up with BIN, and I think I'm too much of a coward to take a risk.

Sme - it might be worth checking "newly listed" bags first as sometimes they're only on a 3-day listing and if you see them shortly after they appear, you'll have more time to get them authenticated, especially if our lovely ladies need more pictures to give you a definite answer.

Please don't get disheartened; "your" Bays is out there waiting for you! :biggrin:

Just a thought I've had after drooling over forum Bays photos once again. Do the Bays start off floppy, or do they go that way after use? If it's only after use, I may be ok looking at non printed/patent bags because I will only be using it occasionally, not on a regular basis i.e. for work.

Just a thought I've had after drooling over forum Bays photos once again. Do the Bays start off floppy, or do they go that way after use? If it's only after use, I may be ok looking at non printed/patent bags because I will only be using it occasionally, not on a regular basis i.e. for work.

On a related topic, do the VIP liners keep the non-printed Bays from becoming floppy? If sme99 put a liner in, would that give the bag a similar degree of structure to the printed version?