Tell me all you know about buying a Bays!

sme99

O.G.
Sep 28, 2010
Ok, I've been selling stuff off to try and raise cash to buy a Bays, but I realised I really don't know anything about them, other than they're absolutely gorgeous!!!!
So where do I begin? What types of leather do they come in, and is one type preferable over another? Although I like soft leather, some of the bags on eBay look like they've collapsed, which I don't particularly like. Also, why do they vary so wildly in price (apart from the obvious i.e. special finish)? What do you think is a realistic budget for a reasonable, pre-loved Bays? Is there anything else I should know? I'm really scared about taking the plunge on this one, but I've set my heart on buying one. Oh no, I think that I'm on that slippery slope............

Welcome to the Mulberry madness Sme ...be warned tis a VERY slippery slope indeed:graucho:
NVT (Natural Veg Tan) is the main leather in three classic shades: Black, Chocolate and Oak, but there are special editions, seasonal colours and finishes (printed, patent polished) ..etc, and of course the exotic leathers too ..ostrich, snakeskin, calf. It's Predecessor Darwin was discontinued a few years ago, but they can be found on ebay -but do be have any potential purchases authenticated by the wonderful ladies in the shopping thread! Darwin is a more hardwearing leather and will develop a lovely patina over time:love:
I would say it depends on the condition of the bag used (a lot or a little), unused etc.. and what you are personally prepared to pay! If you're unsure you can always ask us Mulberry addicts for our opinion!
I hope this helps and good luck with your quest!:smile:

I have one in black printed leather. It's quite heavy if i carry heaps in it but it's such a workhorse i love it. Black printed leather is practically fool proof, it doesn't get scratch easily and it retains its shape even when i carry it half empty.

My friend has an oak nvt and it required a bit more care when it was new. She had to be careful about water/rain marks and the leather did scratched pretty easily. But once the patina developed, it's no problem. The leather developed a slight sheen to it,it's richer & darker & also softens a bit. Absolutely beautiful!

Great taste sme :graucho:

Have u had a bit of a butchers on here? I found these threads helpful before I bought:

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...ost-photos-of-your-bayswater-here-584110.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...much-does-your-mulberry-bag-weigh-366908.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...fferent-mulberry-leathers-a-guide-176042.html

The oak bays I have in my avatar has darkened a wee bit with applications of collonil spray & gel to protect it, but oak is a stunning colour, just needs a bit more work/care. I've got a vintage black printed leather bag (not bayswater) and it keeps its shape perfectly, very hardwearing.

Have fun choosing!! x

Great taste sme :graucho:

Have u had a bit of a butchers on here? I found these threads helpful before I bought:

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...ost-photos-of-your-bayswater-here-584110.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...much-does-your-mulberry-bag-weigh-366908.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry...fferent-mulberry-leathers-a-guide-176042.html

The oak bays I have in my avatar has darkened a wee bit with applications of collonil spray & gel to protect it, but oak is a stunning colour, just needs a bit more work/care. I've got a vintage black printed leather bag (not bayswater) and it keeps its shape perfectly, very hardwearing.

Have fun choosing!! x

Those links were really useful, thanks. The photos are amazing, I never realised that there were so many different variatons out there! I was drooling over them all (think Homer Simpson!). The ones that are most 'me' are probably the printed ones, or those that are a little bit different (like your Avatar) but are almost definitely out of my budget which I think is probably £300 max. I'd really love to visit SM as some members have made some lucky purchases there, but it's too far away for a non driver and I believe they don't sell the bargain bags over the phone as they are sold as seen/non returnable.

I just wish money was no object and I could choose whatever I liked, but that isn't the case so I'm just going to have to keep my eyes peeled, fingers crossed and hope fate is kind to me. Realistically, I know there's a lot of competition out there and it's going to be very tough. As I discovered when searching for Phoebe recently, though, members of this forum are very supportive and keep your spirits up when feeling low :yes:

Hi Sme

I know how you feel as I had my heart set on a bays after seeing someone at work with an Oak one. Having said they when I saw them I thought they may be too big for my needs and went for the Ledbury and East West.:amuse:

I then bought an Oak Ledbury but just couldn't get away with the colour and every time I took her out of the wardrobe to potentially use, I put her straight back into her dust bag and back into the wardrobe. I just found that Oak didn't seem to be the right colour for my wardrobe, since I wore a lot of black with say a brighter coloured top, but nearly always black shoes or boots. I was also scared of how it aged as I didn't personally like how it darkened on the handles etc. or how rain could so easily mark it. So I sold her on Ebay.:graucho: I did buy a Black Bays but took it straight back as I still wasn't convinced on size but after looking on here at what people cary and after buying some VIP liners decided it would be a good size after all. :yahoo:

So, finally I decided to take the plunge and have a second attempt at the Bays and bought my Choc one from Fenwicks over 4 months and put the Taupe VIP liner in. Depending on whether I carry my organiser or not I either use the New Business VIP which has a middle divider so I can put my organiser in one side and make up bag and purse in the other, or I use the large with one pocket in the centre.

Now I love it so much and the size, I don't know why I worried in the first place.:nuts:

So, the moral of this story is.............Go get one girl even a pre loved one off Ebay or from Fenwicks over 4 months so it doesn't feel so bad.

Either that or at the outlets. If you don't like bags to collapse then maybe a patent one or the printed leather would prob be more sturdy IMO.:graucho:

It might be helpful to go into one of the stores and try one on just to see if you find it comfortable - work out how you'd hold it (hard to get on the shoulder in thick winter coats) whether you might find it too heavy. It's a gorgeous style but not the most comfortable or practical (my fingers were numb after carrying a full Bays on my shoulder all round Bicester).

Good idea, I love the look of a Bayswater but can not carry one on my shoulder, Phoebe is much more the thing! I keep my Tooled Bayswater as handbag art! Which is o.k as it was a good buy a few years back but I would be sad to buy one and find that it is so heavy and does not fit over a coat...

Thanks everyone for your comments. In particular:
MiniMabel - It wasn't planned, but I need cheering up and always find a bit of retail therapy does the trick! I'm already watching the bag you highlighted but, as you say, it's going to be popular. I'm not particularly fussed on colour, although I think chocolate would go best with my clothes colour scheme and I'm very nervous of oak. However, I'd really quite fancy something a bit different from the classic colours (I loved the photos of Mulberry Ellie's Merlot Imperial and Sapphire Nile), but I may be limited to them if I choose a printed Bays. I wouldn't rule out an East West Bays either.
Tarababe - It's good to hear your experience with buying a Bays. I must admit I was a bit concerned about the external appearance because when you look at some people carrying one it looks ginormous, but I think it depends on the size of the person. I'm 5'10" and size 12 so I should be ok because I don't think I could be classed as small by any stretch of the imagination! I'm not bothered about the interior size, although if I'm going to carry it half empty, it sounds like I should choose a printed or patent bag. I think it will definitely have to be pre-loved as I couldn't stretch to the full retail price and I currently have no income so couldn't sign up for the Fenwicks deal even if I wanted to. I'm taking part in some market research which will pay me £100, plus I'm hopefully raising a bit of cash on eBay, but I think my max budget will be £300. I don't know if I can get a printed or patent Bays for that other than on eBay (and only if I'm lucky!). I think I saw E-W Bays in Bicester a couple of months ago for £395, so I can pretty much rule outlets out. I might get a sub from an outlet but I'd obviously have to go in person as they won't post out subs, and that's practically impossible for me. I really wish I lived near SM!
Tortoiseperson - It would be a good idea to try one on. I've only ever looked in John Lewis Oxford St, but the bags are all alarmed/wired up and so you can't try on without asking for assistance. Is that the same in all the shops?

Last edited: